Guest Poet

The Pick Me Up/Good News Thread. Use it daily!

the idea is, you all post at least one bit of good news a day, an antidote to the doom and gloom spread by the mass media and to cheer us all up a bit ;)

I s'pose I should start, okay...

Had a lovely visit from my friend and her 2 little boys this morning. The family moved to Bathgate (nr Edinburgh) about a year ago so we don't see them very often. Jules, her DS number 1 helped my DH collect the eggs this morning and they took 6 eggs away with them for their breakfasts.

Then we went to the DIY store and the garden centre to get willow screening and netting to chicken proof parts of our garden (mainly to block the gate and net off the veggie patch) so we can let the girls out properly tomorrow into the main part of the garden. Will let you know how it all goes! :?:shock:

your turn! :D

I cooked a lovely dinner for James and resisted the temptation to eat my favourite foods - cheese & marmite and instead I'm having a cranberry and raspberry lighterlife bar

I'm so pleased with myself :lol:

the idea is, you all post at least one bit of good news a day, an antidote to the doom and gloom spread by the mass media and to cheer us all up a bit ;

Nice idea Poet :) Okay, my day wasn't the best I've ever had, I had a dental appt. this morning (Shudder) to have a bridge fitted which I wasn't looking forward to, I turned up, the dentist turned up but the technician didn't :twisted: so I have to wait another week for my lovely smile :roll: then I found a flea on the dog :( and now one of my chickens has decided to go broody :( BUT DH has just gone out for a takeaway, so I don't have to cook tonight, and a couple of bottles of wine :) AND my absolute fave thing that has ever been on telly is on BBC2 tonight in it's entirety (Shooting The Past)

so hopefully the evening will make up for a rotten day 8)

Tessa

Good for you :D . What a lovely idea for a thread, Poet. Everyone appreciates a thread full of good vibes. Well done.

Good news here? Well we're off to a firework display in a few minutes. Eldest son loves fireworks and is getting very excited. Youngest son is delighted because the latest Alex Rider book arrived in the post from Amazon this morning so he's going to have his nose stuck in that for a few days - then it's my turn to read it :wink::oops: .

Daft lad (youngest son - an apprentice plumber) who never ceases to surprise....... fixed his mates Gran's wonky toilet handle this aft , and when she tried to give him a tenner, he.....are you sitting down....wouldn't take it and said "it's on the house!" :shock::shock::shock:

Nurse......the screen's please!!

i have an addendum, DH has just popped out to get me some diet, caffeine free coke to go with me bourbon, the X Factor's on soon and I'm making Moroccan Lamb, mmmmm! ;)

See you anon with more good news (hopefully!) *hic*

Edited by Guest

I've had a nice quiet day with OH in Newcastle for the footie, DS1 in Glasgow rowing and DS2 in Glasgow playing rugby.

Spent the day cleaning eglu, dogproofing garden and forumming (new verb!). Should really have been ironing.

Only downside was having lunch with elderly parents (that's a whole other story) - combined it with a walk with doggie so all was not lost!

What a great idea..

I've had a great riding lesson this morning...weather perfect sunny but cool [hate it too hot to ride in]. came home walked the dog and then set to cleaning the Eglu and run and fencing off a new area for the girls to free range in from their new home. Just had fish and chips and about to put a DVD on.

:D Beautiful day today, got loads done, the eglu and run are sparkling and Rosie and I have just had our favourite supper.

Kate - if DS2 looks inside the front pages of that Alex Rider book and sees that the jacket illustration is by Phil Schramm, then he can also say that he's met the illustrator. ...... not sure whether that one is one of his or not :?

Well Jack started a part time job this afternoon :D Just 3 hours on a Saturday and sunday afternoon but he is happy that he will be earning some money and my purse is very happy :lol:

Took Archie my lapdog (not) Pappilon a walk this evening totally forgetting it was Guy Fawkes weekend :doh: . Got a fair way from the house when the fireworks started :shock: He didn't bat an eyelid :D I was so proud of him and he had a big doggy biscuit when we got home :D

I finally collected the extra screws I'd ordered for my Eglu, no thanks to Royal Mail who failed to redeliver the parcel! :evil: been waiting 2 weeks

(I bought a second-hand Eglu but it's older than my purple one and came with plastic screws, which had sheared off)

Then I cleaned both the Eglus, put some more aubiose in, and put the screws in place and removed the bricks which have been holding the run in place :shock: and it all fits perfectly now, hurrah! I did some pruning, cut the grass and let my lovely ladies free-range all afternoon.

Getting jobs done always makes me feel smug! :wink:

We're having a great weekend with a visit from my son's girlfriend's Hungarian parents!

Much hilarity as they don't speak English - and we don't speak Hungarian!

I cooked 'Sunday' lunch for them yesterday as we're having a Bonfire Night party tonight - they must think we do nothing but eat! ( :shock::wink: )

Hungarians aren't used to desserts and as we cleared the main dishes from the table, they left the table and went to sit in the conservatory :) - we had to fetch them back in :lol:

They tried everything and were very complimentary. Had a bit of a shock when I heard the word '"Ooops, word censored!"e' though :shock: - it turned out to be the word for cheese :lol::lol:

We all spluttered when XXX explained that her father had bought some of his honey over for us - two different kinds......... mixed and hoar............hoar honey????? :shock: - we had to teach her why she must use the whole name of the tree and not just the berry - Hawthorn :lol: ........... Hawthorn Honey sounds so much nicer :lol:

( hope I don't get moderated! - there was no other way to write it!)

edit: I did change my original spelling of one word just in case it prompted unwanted questions from any youngsters!

I have had the past week off work and have attempted to spend a couple of hours each day clearing out the mess that is the spare bedroom. I freecycled for the first time, an old printer that was creating clutter, it was collected by a lovely lady who even emailed me a thank you when she got home :D Then I donated two mixed bags of stuff to local charity shops, a bag of lovely teddies (I acquired over the years) to the local school (for the nursery children to cuddle if they miss 'mum') three carrier bags of old toys and assorted bits plus a curtain pole to a local family (including my old Barbie Country Camper :( ), and I even managed to fill another very large bag full of s"Ooops, word censored!"s and craft bits for the school to get stuck into :D. I found a few nice items which I think I can sell on eBay, and that will help me finish Christmas shopping!

I feel :D and I nearly have an empty bedroom!

This is a really lovely idea!

My daughter, who is really shy and won't normally do anything without a friend with her, went to a stable management morning at the local stables without a friend and had a really lovely time. She made new friends and has discovered that someone she didn't like from school isn't that bad after all!

..l. Also my 98yr old grandfather has just come out of hospital and was able to come out to dinner with us yesterday

Went to a party last night and had a fantastic time. On the way home, OH who had had a few, said that April/May would be a lovely time to get more chickens. :shock::shock::shock:

I couldn't leave it at that, so 'probed' a little deeper. :wink:

I think he may be crumbling!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Staying in today and having a roast, lighting the fire and watching the rerun of xfactor. Heaven.

Ahh what a lovely thread to read, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy :D

It's a great thread, thanks Poet. Good to look at the positives sometimes, too easy to forget how lucky we all are really, despite the frequent frustrations of daily life.

Well I've had a great weekend, saw friends on Friday, spent Saturday making masses of toffee apples which we then took to a friend's bonfire party and had a great evening (I must telephone them with a thank you........ and polite request for that mulled wine recipe :oops: this morning).

The weather is glorious, sunny, pleasantly warm, the trees are stunning in their golds and reds and browns and I'm going to take a walk in the woods this morning to blow away any lingering mulled wine induced cobwebs :roll: . Seb's got a football match at 2pm, and hubby's refereeing it so I'll be off cheering them on then, oh, and I've got a lemon and poppyseed cake baked all ready to have with a post match cup of tea :D

And finally, hubby who will be leaving work sometime in Feb 08, has got 70 days time owing (he is always on call and regularly gets called in for incidents at night or weekends, and doesn't qualify for overtime payments, so just accumulates more and more time owing, which he never gets to claim back :roll: ). So now he's decided no more company loyalty, and he's claiming back his owed time. That means working 1 day a week only throughout November, and not at all in December :D . He'll review how much time is outstanding in January, and probably get started on the Annual leave then :wink: . So I've got a house-husband for the next few months, but I'm not yet sure if that's a good or a bad thing :?:lol::lol::lol: