Guest Poet

The Pick Me Up/Good News Thread. Use it daily!

I just bought size 18 jammies (which are a little snug but thats OK in jammies) Cos my old jammies were falling off me - if I wasn't careful I'd answer the door to the postie in the morning and my trousers would have fallen down! :oops:

Oh and did I mention lately how well my weight loss is going, I've lost just over 2 1/2 stone in the last 8 weeks! :lol::lol::lol:

I NOW WEIGH A TINY 18 STONE!!!

OK - I know its not a tiny 18stone but at 20 stone 9 I was off the scales when I started

not only did my darling, darling, wonderful hubbie buy me a chicken mug (see above) but he was going to surprise me with a subscription to Practical Poultry PP but I saw it on the bank statement before he told me!

(that's the pitfalls of having a joint account and a wife that scrutinises where very penny goes, still, needs must!)

really looking forward to getting it and thanks to those of you that very kindly offered to send me some back issues too. I'll pass them on to some other deserving soul when I've read them.

That's really good news! There was some debate about whether or not it was going to go ahead but it's good to see that it will. Having said that, I believe there is still some way to go, battery farming will still be allowed just in not quite such confined quarters.

As far as I know battery cages are being banned but they are being replaced by so called 'enriched cages' which are merely a slightly bigger battery cage with a nest box and a perch- not much better than a battery cage!

But i also read the eu wide ban on battery cages is also under threat and may possibly be reversed. That's why i sent that eu petition out for everyone to sign.

Fred wrote

I was one of the first people in the UK to touch and use the most anticipated gadget of the year, yes that is the Iphone! (but it is really ££££)

There were a couple of reviews in the papers today, it mostly got panned as

an overpriced gadget that can only be used with one network. I gather it costs over £1,000 :roll::roll: Although I am a Mac fan it is not something I

would buy.

Tessa

i still can't get into that link about battery hens but i wouldn't get so excited if I were you, read this....the only option is Free Range or barn eggs at the very least.

'Enriched' cages

The proposed replacement for battery cages is the 'enriched cage', which is slightly bigger and taller than a battery cage and will contain some 'furniture' such as a shared perch and nest box, plus litter and a claw-shortening device. However, a cage is still a cage, despite these changes, and the caged hens will still be denied the ability to exercise their instincts and fulfil their natural needs.

The actual usable space allotted to each bird in an enriched cage will be 600 cm² - in effect the increase in space the hens will have is equivalent to the size of a postcard. Furthermore, consider that the average hen at rest occupies 600 sq. cm (Dawkins & Nicol, 1989) - enriched cages, therefore, still only offer the absolute minimum space required by a hen lying down.

The introduction of enriched cages also has the potential to create further welfare problems for the hens on top of those already associated with being kept in such intense captivity. Due to the severely restricted space they are confined to, the birds are already in constant contact with each other and the sides of the cage, the addition of furniture gives them another obstacle to brush up against. Feather loss is generally worse in cages due to a combination of abrasion from mesh and feather pecking (Appleby & Hughes, 1991; Rollin, 1995). Indeed, the provision of furniture actually carries the disadvantage of increasing the amount of potential abrasive surfaces and obstacles to free movement in the birds' environment.

Problems such as feeding birds being scratched by the claws of perching birds and build-up of droppings under perches indicate the problems of introducing 'enrichment' in a confined space (Walker, 2001).

It is a travesty that one cage system is going to replace another, but egg producers are desperate to keep their production costs down - to keep the consumers happy - and caging birds is, unfortunately, the most economical way of rearing them.

source http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/factory/ALL/578/

600cm2 ????

IS that right?

That is 6 square metres isn't it?

:?

on the same web site it says...

"A4 sheet of typing paper covers 620 cm²."

is that right?

...goes to get calculator.....

right

25cm x 25cm = 625cm squared

to square something you times it by itself don't you?

so, the square root of 625cm works out at 25cm times by 25cm, about the size of a piece of paper! So, no, it's not 6 metres squared- maybe they should have worded it differently and said 25cm squared (I don't know how to do that little number 2 thing) but i doubt very much that each bird is going to get 6 metres squared all to itself, do you?

That site has some shocking stats about free range birds too, I'm so glad we have our own hens. The only other option would be to find a local, caring farmer who despatches his birds in a humane way once they are 'spent' so to speak.

Gawd, I'm gettimg myself all depressed again.

Edited by Guest

an overpriced gadget that can only be used with one network. I gather it costs over £1,000 :roll::roll: Although I am a Mac fan it is not something I

would buy.

Tessa

Yes, with an 18 month contract at £35 a month it is very pricey, and only works on o2

But according to a o2 member of staff, he said you can buy an unlocked iphone at the carphone warehouse, for £1200!! :shock:

would buy.

Tessa

Yes, with an 18 month contract at £35 a month it is very pricey, and only works on o2

But according to a o2 member of staff, he said you can buy an unlocked iphone at the carphone warehouse, for £1200!! :shock:

According to a chap on the telly last night, unlocking it negates all warranties etc, so be careful. :?

would buy.

Tessa

According to a chap on the telly last night, unlocking it negates all warranties etc, so be careful. :?

The unlocked one that the carphone warehouse are selling is perfectly leagal etc

Obviously conflicting advice being sent out.

The chap was quite specific....they are only linked with O2 and any unlocked ones will not be covered by their warranties.

I'd hate anyone to find that they have lost out and have massive repair bills if they have a faulty one that has been unlocked.