craven fowl

Frontline Cat Spot On

Please, I need some advice/information.

My local vet charges £37.00 for a pack of six, which only lasts us 3 months, as we have two cats.

Now on the internet, we can find the same 6 pack for £14.57 with free delivery. How safe is it to buy veterinary medication over the internet? Why is it so much cheaper? Is it the real thing?

Thanks.

Yes it's the real deal. :)

It's so much cheaper on the internet, because vets have such a big profit margin on it. :wink:

Stuff you buy in the pet shops / supermarket & flea collars just do not work. :shock: Worming products are the same, they don't work unless you buy the POM stuff. 8)

I get all of my animals flea treatment and worming stuff on line now too. So much cheaper and it is exactly the same as what you pay over double for at the vets. :D

I just hope that none of my hens get ill as I have found out that I do not have one single vet near me who see's chickens and when I looked on line about antibiotics for hens (Just in case) I would need to see a vet to get a perscription first, then I could buy it on line, otherwise I can't. :(

Just hoping they stay healthy!! :D

You can't get the Combi on t'internet Sarah - that one does need a vet prescription - it has a different formulation from the plain Frontline. Our local pharmacy has just started selling vet stuff (incling frontline combi) for much cheaper than all the local vets, so the vets have all had to bring their prices down.

Reminds me that I need to get some too :roll:

Cinnamon,

The stuff my local vet recommends is Frontline or Stronghold for fleas and Drontal for worms. Although, my vet said that if you get Stronghold and Drontal, you are doubling up on Roundworm (I think). So she said best getting Frontline and Drontal.

Frontline Cat Spot On 6 Pack

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=118

Drontal CAT Worming Tablet

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=575

Also, I don't think you need a prescription for Frontline but you do for Stronghold. That's why I was unsure if it was the real thing.

Thank you everyone so much for your advice/information. :D

I saw that on the news, people buying dog stuff from the supermarket and using it on cats. It was on BBC news, I think. The vet was talking whilst holding the most beautiful Siamese cat I had ever seen. He said that at least a third of the ill-cat cases he saw a week were caused by people inadvertently poisoning their cats with dog medication! :shock:

You can't get the Combi on t'internet Sarah - that one does need a vet prescription - it has a different formulation from the plain Frontline. Our local pharmacy has just started selling vet stuff (incling frontline combi) for much cheaper than all the local vets, so the vets have all had to bring their prices down.

Reminds me that I need to get some too :roll:

Thanks for that.

I will keep an eye out for other local places selling it too 8)

I saw that on the news, people buying dog stuff from the supermarket and using it on cats. It was on BBC news, I think. The vet was talking whilst holding the most beautiful Siamese cat I had ever seen. He said that at least a third of the ill-cat cases he saw a week were caused by people inadvertently poisoning their cats with dog medication! :shock:

Yes, permethrin is extremely toxic to cats & is in some dog preperations but should never be used on cats! It will kill them!

Might be worth mentioning to your vet the price you've found it for. I get my Frontline from my vet as his price for 6 months worth is about what your vet is charging for 3. May be the thought of loosing profit might be enough to get hime to reduce his price for you

I've found that Frontline seems to have stopped working on my 'ole Tigger. Are fleas like nits, in that they can become immune to certain treatments?

I get all my treatments (including tiggers special food, at half the price the vet charges) from www.petmeds.co.uk , by the way.

The vets I work in are not asking anything like the prices you are quoting - its just over £3 for 1 frontline and we sell them singly - also the frontline combo is dearer and lasts less time so we are back to using the ordinary one - it lasts longer and is just as good. Buy it online if its cheaper - it will be the right thing and is able to be bought now.

I'm going to check this out before the annual MoT and vaccination trip in June - I swear by Stronghold, and having had flea infestations in the house some years ago, I am not going to risk that again! But it is expensive.

I tend to use it regularly through the summer, but then have a break of a few months in winter when I think the chances of him picking up fleas are less.

This may be entirely unscientific, but it's worked so far - I will start applying regularly again in March. I

do agree that supermarket stuff doesn't work, and if you once get fleas in the house, it's very difficult to get rid of them.

Please, I need some advice/information.

My local vet charges £37.00 for a pack of six, which only lasts us 3 months, as we have two cats.

Now on the internet, we can find the same 6 pack for £14.57 with free delivery. How safe is it to buy veterinary medication over the internet? Why is it so much cheaper? Is it the real thing?

Thanks.

We buy in bulk. Some of cats seem very resistant to fleas, and some of them have fleas constantly - Dilly, Arthur and Cleo all have to be done once a month, whereas Evie never has a problem and Nero has none either. Occasionally I forget, and get frontline at the vet and then have to pick my jaw up from the floor at how much it costs!

It's also worth adding powdered Brewer's Yeast to your cats food. They seem to like the taste and cats with it in their diet are less attractive to fleas. Works for us. My cats have a vitamin mineral mix I make my self and to tell the truth we only use the Frontlin about half as often as we should. 10 years of cat ownership and no fleas so far, and our cats wander in scrub and bramble next to the railway line, they come up against enough sources of fleas.