jomaxsmith

Chicken People are so nice!

Sorry to go all gushy but I'm so glad I decided to get chickens because they've introduced me to such a great group of people.

This morning my neighbour came round with a letter and a pot of grit as a gift from a friend of her's who bought a Cube earlier in the year. I've never met the friend but my neighbour had told her about my new eglu and girls and she'd taken the time to write a letter about local suppliers and put some grit in a pot for me. I rang her up and had a lovely chat.

And then of course there's you lot - splendid Boris70 shared her worming medicine with me and wonderful Lisa33 has just offered me some Diatom to try.

Chickens truly make us all better people! :clap::clap:

Jo

funny you should say that, next door but one has just popped round with a big bag of corn from the stables where his wife rides. He said there's plenty more where that came from, just let him know when we need some more!

We gave him some eggs the other day when he came to see the chickens and he was very taken with them.

He's not happy though as he said his wife's got a horse but she won't let him have any chickens, seems a bit unfair doesn't it boys and girls? ;)

I guess she'd say the the horse doesn't live in the back garden :D or does it??

People often assume chickens are noisy or smelly or a lot of work, when they're a pleasure to own...

When I first mentioned the idea to my DH, he went :roll: , but after I'd delivered my well rehe"Ooops, word censored!"d speech he gave in (maybe to shut me up :wink:, I can go on and on when I'm after something)... the next time, when I said I wanted kittens to add to our family, he just sighed and said ok, without even giving me a chance to deliver my again well rehe"Ooops, word censored!"d speech... now I'm badgering him for a dog, and he is digging his heels firmly in...

I hope your neighbour gets his chickens Poet...

I couldn't agree more. :)

I have been completely bowled over by the generosity of one particular chicken owner this week .... I haven't even met the good lady yet she has offered to look after my girls for 10 weeks for absolutely nothing. :D

The world (and its chicken owners) is a great place. :wink:

Wishing a peaceful Christmas and a very happy and healthy 2008 for all of you, your families, chickens and other pets. xx

I managed to strike up a conversation with the lady at the meat counter in Waitrose last week, she used to keep bantams and when I said I had chickens we had quite a chat!

People on here have been so friendly and helpful - especially Aunty E who came all the way out to my home to help when I had problems with my converter, and lovely Dilly who sold me the converter. I have had so much helpful advice.

I too wish you all a happy, healthy and eggciting 2008 - and hope to meet up with some of you!

They are nice,aren't they.

One of my regular egg buyers gave me a huge bag of grit & shell from when she had chickens.

Another chap in the village gave me all the mis shaped potatoes from his lottie for the hens too 8)

I struck up a conversation in Tesco with the checkout girl (I was buying dry mealworms & she said her hens loved them),& she lives in the same village as me,& has a big flock of Blue Belles :D

I was amazed as to how quickly people want to see and to help out our newly acquired chooks.

From food parcels being donated to the chooks to chook visitors by the dozen, and even a friendly farmer offering to wing clip for free and its only been just over a week since we have acquired the little darlings. :o:o

I have yet to find an unpleasant person who likes chickens. .

Hang on, I'm working on it. I'm trying very hard to cultivate a Mr Nasty image ...

just give me a bit more time ... :wink:

Awww, come on Richard, we know you can be nice when you want to.... :wink:

Hurrumph - just don't tell too many people.

So whos had christmas cards with " to so and so and the Girls"!! :lol::lol::lol: , I dont have kids but have a "family" :D

Its embarassing to say, but we have had several cards to us and the chickens or us and the girls.

Embarassing because, as you would no doubt guess, I don't do Xmas cards - you would have thought that folk would stop sending them if you don't send them back, but they don't!

I do actually send a few cards, but only to people I don't see (abroad, so that's anywhere out of Norfolk) but I don't send to people I see or communicate with by email relatively regularly, and certainly don't do neihbours or work.

So whos had christmas cards with " to so and so and the Girls"!! :lol::lol::lol: , I dont have kids but have a "family" :D

We are the same, I have had cards to us, the dog and the chickens! :lol:

I've put all the girls names (and the dog) on the cards i've sent out.

I did the dog's and chooks stockings last night, all wrapped up - I cant tell you what's in them though as they might read this!!!! :lol::lol:

[

I did the dog's and chooks stockings last night, all wrapped up - I cant tell you what's in them though as they might read this!!!! :lol::lol:

Oh noooo. what a nutcase! No I don't mean that at all - but it is a bit mad doing stockings for your chickens isn't it?

Mind you, when we had our Scottish terriers we used to wrap up squeaky toys for them at Xmas. Haggis used to wreck the squeak within minutes, and then try to pinch Bramble or Brindle's toy. It gave us lots of entertainment. Perhpas your girls will be the same.

Go on, give us a hint as to whats in them - mealworms? raisins (thats what I was going to take mine for Xmas dinner treats. :oops:

Haggis (died about 5 year ago or so);

2130057911_292f8b67e5.jpg

and Thistle (not a Scottie, obviously, but a wire haired fox terrier) in a Xmas jumper I knitted for her a few years ago (she died last year)!

2130835764_91580d0c09.jpg

I'm just as much a nutcase as anyone else!

Edited by Guest

Lovely doggie pictures, Richard.

I have bought the chickens Peckablock's for Christmas.

We had 7 dogs to get Christmas presents for this year, so I just bought a selection of biscuits and treats and wrapped them up for the dogs to open.

And two guinea pigs & a Chinchilla.

I think I spend more on pet presents and I do on Andyman. :roll::lol:

I'm just as much a nutcase as anyone else!

You said it Richard!! :lol::lol::lol:

What gorgeous doggies - what a handsome chap haggis was.

The dog has a bigger stocking than the chooks - so big in fact that the chooks have had to share a stocking and the dog has 2 !!

they are hung up at the moment and the dog keeps sniffing them - she's waiting for us to go out before she can attack them. She ate a whole box of celebrations one christmas when we were out. And she's eaten a tub of butter before :roll:

My old golden retriever used to love choccys at christmas! One year we hung foil wrapped chocolate decorations on the tree. When we came home after an evening out, we found the foil wrappings still hanging on the tree, but with no chocolate left inside them! He'd sucked all the innards out without any damage to the tree! :shock:

I;d just like to add that yesterday we,(and i do mean we, the oh was well excited) decorated the hen house :oops::roll::roll: , its got a real 14 ft long swag going around the roof, battery operated blue lights, baubles, ribbon, and 5 cardboard cutout stockings in festive colours!!!!! :lol::lol: , do i get the award for being the daftest member!!!, have to say it makes folks smile when they walk by, now thats the spirit of xmas :lol::lol: .

Best reward was Buffy laid her first egg this morning!!! :D:D:D

I;d just like to add that yesterday we,(and i do mean we, the oh was well excited) decorated the hen house :oops::roll::roll: , its got a real 14 ft long swag going around the roof, battery operated blue lights, baubles, ribbon, and 5 cardboard cutout stockings in festive colours!!!!! :lol::lol: , do i get the award for being the daftest member!!!, have to say it makes folks smile when they walk by, now thats the spirit of xmas :lol::lol: .

Best reward was Buffy laid her first egg this morning!!! :D:D:D

awwwwww, please post a piccie? :D