34 members have voted

1. 1. Which bedding do you use?

• Straw
    • Hay
    • Sawdust
    • Shreded Paper
    • Dust-Free Wood chippings
    • Other(please state via reply)

Ours roost on the edge of the nesting box so it's full of poo in the mornings.

But under the roosting bars I put sawdust, obtained from Wilkinsons for enough for about 6 changes for £1

It means I don't have to scrub the undertray at all, so I don't have to dry it or wait for it to dry before I put more in. And it just all slides off onto the garden / compost / binliner.

Straw in the nesting box..... or shredded paper if I run out :roll: ... and newspaper to line the poo tray. Gives them something interesting to read whilst they're laying their eggs :wink: I'm interested in the sound of that Bokashi bran though, especially if it really does help with smells- I might have to order some then :D

:D Hi Martin, for the 1st few weeks I tried everything & the chooks just turfed it out, so for several months I just left the nesting box bare.

That was fine, and they seemed to like it.

But, the last few months the nesting box was getting covered in poo every day, so I now use sawdust.

They like it, and I like it, it's so easy to scoop out and replenish, but doesn't get scattered like the straw did.

I used to use newspaper for droppings tray, but tend to just tip & wipe most days, with a good wash just now & again.

I'll just add, that you shouldn't use hay as the chooks will eat it but this can lead to impacted crop, straw is OK.

I always remember the rule that Motherhen told us.

Hay is for eating

Straw is for bedding.

Sheila mentions about the crop problems with Hay Martin.

We have a paper shredder at home, and although I voted for straw, our chooks regulary sleep on our old bills and bank statements :lol:

It's a good way of recycling, and the whole lot gets emptied into the compost bin once it's used.

Straw in the nesting box..... or shredded paper if I run out :roll: ... and newspaper to line the poo tray. Gives them something interesting to read whilst they're laying their eggs :wink: I'm interested in the sound of that Bokashi bran though, especially if it really does help with smells- I might have to order some then :D

The Omlet lads mentioned that the Bokashi stuff can be given in the feed too, and it is supposed to neutralise the acidity of their poo.

Are your chooks ok on the hay Tamsin? I understand it can be a bit life threatening to a chicken if they start eating it and it clogs up their crops...not to worry you at all....and certainly not being nosey (do tell me to mind my own business)...but I think straw might be better?

Are your chooks ok on the hay Tamsin? I understand it can be a bit life threatening to a chicken if they start eating it and it clogs up their crops...not to worry you at all....and certainly not being nosey (do tell me to mind my own business)...but I think straw might be better?

I have had my chickens on it coming up for two years on hay,and i have nevr seen them eat it,if i had just started giving my chickens hay then i proberly would have been worried,howeva now you mention it if they did start eating it (but i dont think they will after all this time) i would change as i didnt know that ,cheers for telling me.

My chickens expect the best - they only lay their eggs on the soft thighs of Virgin Brazilian handmaids...

either that - or shredded newspaper - whichever is closest to hand...

Phil