Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Shame about the lambs but maybe next year. Sounds like you have no room in the freezer for any more meat anyway!

I'd still like to try cattle but hubby is dead against it so I don't think we'll ever have any. If I did I will certainly take your advice and make sure I find young ones that are well handled. It's a shame about your Dexters, they always look so cute! (Well the short-legged ones anyway.) But then again, the meat is renowned for being tasty so it worked out ok in the end :-)

We've had a bit of a change around.......

The rescue girls have gone in with the bantams and the bantam cockerel. We already had a Miss Pepperpot in there........ I like the girls to be in with a cockerel as he sorts out any problems, and makes it so easy introducing hens to each other........

The run that they had been in has so much grass, so we moved the largest flock of hens and the white cockerel into there - they think they've gone to heaven 8) ..... they'd eaten all their grass :roll:

....and so we now have an empty run which was what we'd planned all along :D

We have a broody sitting on eggs a bit further along, so we might move her and her eggs into the empty run........still thinking about it......

Cripes Lesley; you've been busy! :shock:

You can have a spare cockerel if you like.. Just been to the vet and he was treating the most gorgeous cockerel for hyper-sexuality; the owner was going mad because it attacked anyone and everything, either with spurs or to mate!!!! So Clive is giving it hormone therapy and plans to castrate it in the winter when it's calmed down. The man wanted to get rid ot it, but his wife won't hear about it! Beautiful bird - looked a lot like 'Chick' from last year.

:? oo-er! :? We've had one (bantam) cockerel who attacked everyone with his vicious spurs :? - he had to go........

I miss seeing the Welsummer - he was sooooo gorgeous.

We've got 4 hens coming for a holiday this evening as well..... 8)

Update on life here on the farm :D

We lost another sheep :( - we can only think that the first vaccine missed and so she wasn't properly protected. The remaining 5 ewes have all had their second part of the vaccine now and we're hoping to book the shearer to come soon.

Everywhere burst into green - and then it started raining........... so we're now having to tackle triffids everywhere :roll: The elderflowers are now ready - I'll pick some at the weekend.

Piggies are still growing well - and paddling in mud! We're so glad that we made a big concrete base for the two arks to go on, at least they have warm, dry beds.

We've moved all the hens under cover in their protection pens as we are just within the zone for the outbreak of H7 Avian Influenza. We are registered with DEFRA as poultry keepers but have not heard from them yet. We have set up some bio-security measures. We still had 18 table birds which do not have a protection pen, they live in 3 small sheds and free-range on grass. They should have been despatched by now but we've been very busy and have only done two. We've moved the hens into a protection pen and the boys will be despatched over the next couple of days. There are 8 of them and they are getting too big now.

The youngest of the ducks has gone broody - under the duck house :roll: There is just a 6" space and so we will try to move her into the duck house.

.........and ...... best news of all........

We have bees again!!!!! :D:D:D

In the middle of trying to care for, and feed, two grandchildren and moving all the hens....... we had a phone call asking if we'd like to collect a swarm of bees. I'd been to the dentist and was feeling decidedly unwell and in quite a bit of pain..............but I'm so glad that we went.

We collected together all the things we thought we might need and went off at the start of dusk - 8.30pm. The swarm was fairly accessible, about 9 feet up, in a tree. We managed to get the whole swarm into the box, leaving just a few who were still out foraging.......

It was a bit scary driving home with a box of angry bees :shock:

We emptied them into the hive and made a ramp to enable the ones who stayed in the box and on the cloth to crawl up into the hive. There were just two dead ones left on the cloth this morning and some are already out flying.

It is so nice to hear bees again :D

Ihope so as well Lynda - I've just ordered wax foundation and got a bit carried away and also ordered stuff for packing honey and comb later in the year :lol:

We have our names down for some bees from the Stratford Beekeepers and also to buy some as a nucleus from the same man we bought from last year - we could suddenly find ourselves with three hives! :shock:

Ihope so as well Lynda - I've just ordered wax foundation and got a bit carried away and also ordered stuff for packing honey and comb later in the year :lol:

We have our names down for some bees from the Stratford Beekeepers and also to buy some as a nucleus from the same man we bought from last year - we could suddenly find ourselves with three hives! :shock:

Hoe exiting. We get a bit carried away when we order too!

We went to Cheshire Beekeepers monthly meeting last night. It was an open apiary meeting and it was really interesting.

And we won a Honey bucket and some dwarf beans in the raffle :D