Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

8) .... and the soup was only a little bit burnt :roll::roll::oops::lol:

It was lovely having visitors - it gives us time to stand and look as well :D

I do have one of those synthetic 'feather' duster things...... on a long stick....... I found it last night adorning the bookshelf in the hall :lol: I had meant to have a quick flick around with it before you both arrived :roll:

We were very pleased with the turkeys, they plucked very well. They looked big with all their feathers on but after they were plucked....... :shock: - not the biggest turkeys you will see :roll:

A friend of Clare's came to collect a chicken and a turkey after Ginette and Kate left. Her girls came to look at the set up for the chickens/turkeys/ducks before they left so they could see where their turkey had been living.

Oliver was down to business as soon as he was let into the paddock so perhaps all the girls were synchronised and he had no work left to do? His owner said that we could take our girls to stay there for a while but I think we'll just wait and see what happens.

We have one chicken and one turkey left to be delivered......... and by the end of the weekend we will have made enough money to cover.......oooh...... about half what it cost to feed them all :lol:

Well, today's V Day!! :?

The Vet is coming to take blood from the two cows :?

We've both had a restless night, Carl is suffering with his first cold in over two years and I woke in the night with a panic attack and had to get up.

My son and his friend will be here to help, but we're all inexperienced in how to handle cows. Carl is the only one who goes in with them so they are used to him. They now have quite long horns and are still skittish - let's hope the Vet. is experienced :?:lol:

The weather forecast is for vile weather as well :roll:

Wish us luck............. :?

Well, we survived.... and so did the vet...... :lol:

The practice phoned to say that the Vet was leaving earlier than she thought - and I've mislaid some of the paperwork :roll: That's what happens when you embarrass yourself by posting photos of a messy office and then tidy it up :roll: Luckily, she didn't need any of our paperwork today....

We had great fun trying to get the two through the cattle crush. The smaller one went in eventually and the Vet managed to trim the hair, test the thickness of the skin and jab her. We couldn't let her out into the paddock because the other one, who is more dominant, would have tried to follow - straight over the gate!! We allowed her to go back into the barn and then spent another half hour trying to get the dominant one through the crush.

Apparently, Carl has been too nice to her and she thinks she's top of the pecking order - no surprise there then, he's just the same with dog training :roll: The Vet said we have to do her today or she will just be worse, she has to realise that she is not top cow!

Eventually, they both went in together - which meant Carl couldn't close the gate behind the last cow :? . He stood right behind her and held on to the crush with both hands. You know how 'nice' it is when a chicken poops in your pocket?? try that with an incontinent cow :shock::shock: Carl's Blackberry has been renamed as a Brownberry :shock:

The Vet didn't bother with the hair clipping and measuring - she just jabbed the cow.

It only took an hour altogether - we didn't think we'd ever get to that stage :shock:

..... but the Vet has to come back on Friday to check the area where she jabbed them :?

I think we should ship them off to Spain - they'd be great for bullfighting :evil:

fingers crossed for a good result on Friday and then we can buy another freezer..... :? We should never have allowed ourselves to be talked into having them - they're just not right for us - we really need a docile animal and will probably buy a Hereford calf at a future date. At the end of the summer, we spoke to the man who bought the others from the herd - he'd had no end of problems with the 8 he bought - they'd all escaped, so we haven't done too badly.

The Vet was also very pleased that we didn't allow someone to talk us into buying a pet - 20 years old - cow, just before Christmas............. we've learned to say 'No'!!! :lol: