Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

We are trying to hatch or buy Sussexes - we're squeamish about them as they are so pretty :roll:

These are Ross/Cobs and we have a choice of girls or boys when we buy them. We choose girls as we keep them so long. When we hatch our own hens, we do eat the boys but until now, our cockerels have all been based on the Cream Legbar - not the meatiest birds :? We hatched a Welsummer last year. When the cockerels are fairly old, they can be a bit tough - we cut the breast meat off to roast or make nuggets and the legs and thighs are used to make casserole or curry.

We are wondering whether to put one of the cockerels in with these girls now they are laying and then hatch the fertile eggs - we could put the Welsummer cockerel in............I wonder if he would cope?

We buy them (four weeks old) from a local hatchery. We originally bought them from a man just up the road and we were very worried about where they might have come from :? We coped by knowing that we were 'rescuing' them in away and giving them a happy, if short, life ...... then this man retired and didn't want to be a distributor for the hatchery but he put us in touch with the man who owns the hatchery.

We were pleased because then we had a chance to see the conditions when we went to collect.

We went along in great trepidation because if we didn't like the conditions then we would have come home empty handed..........

We were pleasantly surprised :shock: He had vast barns, all very secure on the outside (to protect from foxes) and the inside was full of straw bales, all different levels, and plenty of room. Even if they grew quite big or lived their whole lives in there, it would have been OK. He showed us round the whole place - so no hidden barns crammed with poultry!

As well as selling a few 5 week old turkeys, they raise a few hundred turkeys as Free Range. He showed us the big grassy area where they let the turkeys out during the daytime, lots of trees for shade and shelter. We felt much happier about buying them and came home with 4 turkeys and 20 'Dinners'

Because they are all white, and we manage not to name them, we cope........ but we really want to change to a Sussex type bird. Clare will have to have two birds then for Christmas Dinner as they will never grow to 8-10 lbs :lol:

We are wondering whether to put one of the cockerels in with these girls now they are laying and then hatch the fertile eggs - we could put the Welsummer cockerel in............I wonder if he would cope?

:lol::lol: He'd need a step ladder!

You're right, either two birds for Christmas or cut down on the number of visitors! :wink::roll: Mind you, I always over-cater :roll: Must be an Italian thing. I also did a lovely ham - I cooked it really slowly in a maple syrup and honey spiced baste and studded the fat with cloves and crystalised ginger - it was divine and a good companion to go with the chook. I had a fair amount of left overs to freeze though 8)

I find your birds more tasty than the lady at Stratford Lesley.

Hmm, not sure if it infects the intestinal tract and bloodstream too. I thought that it was confined to the windpipe, but then as it can be passed on to other birds, it probably does go all the way through :?

There's a good link here on the pekinbantams forum http://www.pekinbantams.com/worms.asp#gapeworms

All I know is that it's difficult to shift with Flubenvet and that sterner stuff is needed. Panacur liquid could do it, but that's not licenced for poultry in the UK. It was recommended to me as better and more broad spectrum than Flubenvet, but you need to withdraw eggs and I don't know how long you need to leave it before slaughtering the bird to eat... at least you would be sure that you didn't have any worms!

Louise might be able to shed more light

Withdrawal periods

Animals must not be slaughtered for human consumption during treatment.

Cattle may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 12 days from last treatment.

Sheep may be slaughtered for human consumption only after 15 days from last treatment.

Milk for human consumption must not be taken during treatment. Milk for human consumption may be taken from cows only after 5 days from last treatment. Milk for human consumption may be taken from sheep only after 7 days from the last treatment.

When administered in liquid feed by divided dosage, Panacur 10% Oral Suspension may not be effective against Strongyloides and Trichuris spp. in cattle and Strongyloides, Dictyocaulus and Bunostomum spp. in sheep.

Although effective in the control of gastro-intestinal roundworms and lungworms, fenbendazole medicated liquid feed should not be used in the treatment of clinical infestations in cattle and sheep.

From that I would say to be on the safe side leave it three weeks from final treatment for both eggs and meat after using Panacur as the longest is 15 days for sheep :?

:D:D:D:D - the cows passed their tests 8)

We had the same charade as the other day :roll: We had thought that as the Vet just needed to look at the site of the test then she would be able to do that while they were eating - silly us :roll: She needed to have them in the crush again - and this time, we were one person short. I had to stand at the end of the crush ready to close the door right at the last moment :?

It was very scary :shock:

First one went in - and was checked over....... and then they managed to chase the second one in with the first. So, once again, we had both cows squashed into the crush.....Carl trying to push the second one in so that he could close the rear gate, my son leaning against Carl because Carl carries very little weight (they really needed me back there :lol: )

Carl has a few wonderful bruises coming out where the cow managed to kick him this time :? He'll be on Arnica tablets and cream for more than a few days :shock:

No poo in the pockets this time though :lol:

now, we just need a new freezer..... and an appointment at the abattoir :?