Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

It scrubbed up quite well Karen :lol: - Carl was hosed down and he's scrubbed up quite well as well :lol:

He did wait until the Vet had gone before he stripped off :lol:

That's good :lol: although she may have reduced your bill if he did a full monty :wink:

Karen x

I doubt it Karen! :wink:

Lesley - did you scrub under his toenails?

What are you implying about Lesleys man there Clare? :lol:

They look great Lesley - so healthy & happy :D

As the new hen pen is now nearly finished,I put it to The Hubby that we should use the old hen pen for a small flock of dinners.

He agreed,until I mentioned that he would need to dispatch them,so we are back to buying our free range chicken at Waitrose :roll:

Lesley's table birds are lovely and the meat on them is top quality - we had one at Christmas and it was huge, but soooo tasty. It was all the better for knowing that it had been well looked after and had plenty of room to roam. They are stocky birds, but because they can move around, they don't get the health and mobility problems associated with intensive farming practices.

Bron, I know what you mean - light sussex are dual purpose birds.

I'd love the room for a small flock of dinners.

But will he pluck and dress them? It was the plucking that took forever with mine, luckily I have a friend whose father was a butcher, and she seems to have inherited his nimble fingers - she did two in the time it took me to do one last time.

Killing them isn't difficult if you have a broom, but it is hard to make yourself do it, and I did cry. The post-death flapping is horrible too.

Lesley is right when she says the pictures don't show how big her birds are. I saw them just before Christmas and they were enormous then. :shock: They are really fascinating to watch, especially when they run. :lol: (or should I say waddle quickly? :lol: )

:shock::shock: I'm stunned, I can't believe they are the same breed birds as those in Hugh's shed :? They look so healthy and happy compared to his :( So basically it doesn't matter what arguments they give for keeping birds in those conditions and saying they are happy, if they don't look like Lesley's, then they are not happy and definitely not healthy. :(

Daft townie question coming up....why not raise boys for the pot and keep the girls as layers?

Is that naive? :oops:

A very good question Egluntine, one I didn't want to post! :oops::oops::lol::lol:

You know me....fearless and in with both feet. :lol: :lol:

If I am going to make a fool of myself....I might as well do it big time!

I think eventually size would really be an issue with them as they do get very big and even with good amounts of exercise they would strt to struggle with mobility :cry:

It is a sad fact in modern farming that animals are bred for traits that would in a wild situation make them an easy target for predators :cry:

The only way around this is to use a dual purpose bird like the sussex and eat the boys and keep the girls who would still get quite big - just not too big but they are very pretty :shock: