Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Mummy sheep has been so sad and agitated today :( - we could hear her all the time, very distressing. She seems a bit more settled this evening.

No chance of any orphan lambs around here as no-one else lambs so late in the year.

We're not sure about the other two - time will tell. The ram should have stayed for 6 weeks but we only kept him here for two weeks as he was wrecking all the fences :? - so at least we only have a two week window to keep looking out for signs. The pleasures of lambing outside :roll:

The first mother and baby are OK - although she doesn't appear to have a lot of milk and small udders - we're keeping an eye on the situation. Perhaps they're like human mothers..... and the milk won't come for a few days? We didn't notice any problems last year - and they all had udders which showed :?

Is there any chance of unsuccessful mummy helping out with the little lamb? I've no idea how sheep mothering works as we bottle raised our lambs, but my cat Cleo, who lost two of her kittens, is fostering two of Evie's as she couldn't cope with so many. I suppose unsuccessful mummy won't get her milk in though :?

We did ponder that yesterday....... but we don't think it would work. If you have plenty of sheep you can try putting an orphan lamb with a ewe whose lamb has died, but it isn't always successful and you need to use the skin of the lamb that died. Also, the mother is fiercely protective of her lamb and would probably go mad if her lamb went to the other ewe. We will be letting the lamb and mother out tomorrow so we'll see what they all do.

I went out at 6 this morning to check on them all - they were fine.... but no new lambs.

I took a detour into the poly/greenhouse on the way back........ and Carl found me 2 hours later :lol:

I suppose you wouldn't have time to milk the other ewe (don't laugh, I've milked sheep) and supplement the other ewe. I'm sure if it's feeding well it's all fine. I know I would spend hours watching the poor thing to make sure it was alright. I barely left the kittens for the first few days in case one of them died while I wasn't looking. :roll: Fingers crossed for your other sheep!

In the event you think the wee one is struggling for food Lesley UHT whole milk is a reasonable substitute for sheeps milk you need to warm it in a bucket of hot water then feed them as this is alot more convenient than making up sheeps milk powder :lol:

And you thought you finished bottle feeding all those years ago! :lol::lol:

:shock: - I've never done any bottle feeding!

The little one seems to be doing just fine on his own - as long as he's standing and wiggling his little tail like mad while feeding I'm leaving them to it.

Aunty e - you haven't seen the weeds in the poly/greenhouse than? :shock: Some of them are taller than me :shock: I need to get plants in so I will finish it this weekend!

Thanks for the info. Louise - I'll keep it in mind, UHT milk will certainly be easier to find on a Sunday :roll:

First thing this morning we found Mummy sheep with her head stuck through the gate :roll: - little lamb couldn't believe his luck :shock::lol: He just kept feeding :lol:

Her head wouldn't go back through becasue of the brow bone so we had to take a hacksaw to the gate :evil:

We ear tagged them both and did the second vaccination for the ewe and we've let them out. The best thing for her milk will be the lush grass. The lamb looks so silly with ear tags bigger than his ears :roll::lol: