Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Oooh, they are gorgeous pictures Clare - love their little snouts :D Do you know which half was yours? :wink:

I haven't bought into one Snowy (no room in the tiny freezer, nor money). Rosie's Dad has bought a quarter though.

I only really like bacon or ham and the occasional chop, so will just buy what I need as and when.

You'll all be lucky if they grow at all :roll:

We had a plan - a cunning plan..........re. loading the cows ready for the abattoir tomorrow morning........ :D

Then, it all went wrong :(

It was such a good plan that we went swimming first thing this morning - after all, we had plenty of time :wink:

Then we weeded the polytunnel ready to plant the tomatoes..........we still had plenty of time...........

At 3.30 we started to take the new cattle hurdles to the barn to make a small section in the corner. The cows always go in to the barn, together, through the cattle crush - the sectioned off area was straight after the crush.

All we had to do then was call them through for feed, close the gate on the crush and then we could reverse the trailer up to the crush............

Carl rattled the bucket, called the cows, they came running down ......... and then at the last moment. only one went through :shock: - the other ran back up the field :shock:

We shut the one in as we'd never get her to do it again if we let her out. She set to, trying to destroy the sectioning 'walls'

It took us 5 hours to get the second one in :evil: It was a bit like Spanish bullfighting! She even had a stand off against the Defender :shock: We tried driving her, hiding from her, running with feed bags in hand.........

Eventually we thought we ought to feed the pigs :oops: - and the dog :oops: ......and the sheep :oops::oops: ..... and check to see if any sheep had started lambing :oops::oops::oops: We still haven't collected the eggs :shock:

My son had borrowed my car to take friends to Luton - and boy, has he had to pay for it!!! :lol: He and his girlfriend turned up just as we were in despair. We had no wellies that would fit......... but they both helped and in 15 mins we managed to get both cows in the barn..... then another 15 to sort out the trailer and make a race to get them into it. They are now trying to destroy the trailer........ and my son and his girlfriend have gone home to put their trainers and trousers in the wash. Carl and I are a bit bruised.......... and i suppose we ought to eat something now! :?

These cows have been nothing but trouble since the day they were delivered..... and stayed for 20 seconds before bursting through the electric fence :roll: - and it took 5 hours to get them back then :roll: - and that involved our farming neighbours, a quad bike, a 4 x 4, a horse box and a girl on a horse :roll:

Best laid plans and all that eh Lesley?! :roll:

Oh boy what a day you have had :lol:

Im so glad your son and his G/F came to the rescue or you could still be out there now with torches :lol:

Time for a sit down, something nice to eat and a cup of tea before bed me thinks :wink::D

Oh Lesley, those cows! They had better be the best beef ever! Congratulations on two years though, wow that has flown by. I'm so jealous of what you and Carl have achieved but not at all jealous of all the hard work you've had to do, nor all the bruises :wink: