Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Breeds that are quite hardy are the most prone Lesley basically they are used to living of scrubby land and not eating concentrates and quality pasture and hay :evil:

When they are pregnant they seem to lose interest in the nice food but the important thing is to get them eating anything they want so long as they are eating :?

Sometimes they will take sugar beet the stuff you feed horses and sometimes they will eat bizzare things like apples and bananas :lol:

Things like Dorset which are lowland pasture sheep are much less prone to these problems :wink:

Hi Lesley

Sorry to hear about your ewes :-( Are you sure it was twin lamb, how long were they ill and what were the symptoms? You can get twin lamb drenches from the farmers coop which might be worth trying if anyone else starts looking a bit dodgy. I'm also wondering if it could have been hypocalcaemia, might be worth treating future cases with calcijet?

I hope you get the postmortem results back soon, must be a worry :-(

Cheers

alex

Thanks Alex - we're just witing to hear from the Vet. I have phoned and am waiting for her to call back.

As soon as we know what it is then hopefully we can keep something handy in case any of the others show any signs.

The problem we've had is that it has been so sudden.

We had the PM results this afternoon - it was a Clostridial disease, which causes sudden death. Most sheep are vaccinated against this but we bought ours initila 6 ewes from someone and vaccination wasn't mentioned. We will have all the sheep vaccinated but in the meantime we have to inject the 6 we have left with penicillin. We already had some penicillin left from the sheep who had mastitis last year and carl collected a supply of syringes and needles from the small animal vets on his way home.

Now, all that reains is to catch them now we've let them out into a large paddock :roll:

The Vet also said that she wasn't in lamb, which is good news in a way..... only one life lost......

..... and she was far too fat :oops:

I am glad you found out what it was. Plus, at least it's preventable in future. We had the same thing happen actually - we lost a lamb one year at 3 months old, just found him dead on eday from Pulpy Kidney which is a clostridial infection. All of the flock except his mother and aunt had been vaccinated.

We vaccinate/booster all of them now annually with Heptavac P+ which is a seven in one vaccine. The smallest bottle is 50ml which treats 25 sheep! We buy it from the local famers supermarket Countrywide, it only costs about £15. I used to do them myself but I now live near my friend who is medical, so she comes round and does them for me.

Hope the others are all ok.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex - we have to go to Countrywide tomorrow. Is it a muscular injection, or intravenous ? - our book says inject at the top of the neck :?

i think that is only so that if they form a blister then it won't spoil the hide for resale purposes, which won't apply to most of ours.

Hi Lesley

It's just a subcutaneous, so not too bad. I have had to do intramuscular several times and hated it (mainly because I am squeamish! the vet said if I hit the bone, withdraw a couple of mm :shock: )

I do the side of the neck by habit but I think like you say that is only to protect the valuable bits of the carcase so irrelevant for me really. I was also shown to do between the front leg and the chest, sort of the armpit, where there is some handy loose skin. When I have had to do it on my own, for some ewes I have needed to turn them and then either the neck or armpit are handy to do without assistance.

It's like dog and cat vaccines, when it's not a booster you need two jabs to start them off, two weeks apart, and after that it is once yearly.

I don't know if you can do it if the ewe is pregnant. Ideally you boost a few weeks before lambing to protect the lambs, but otherwise you can treat them quite young if necessary. I forget when exactly - 4 to 6 weeks old perhaps?

Anyway, hope all your other sheep are doing well, and I hope you will get some lovely lambs in a few weeks. We only have two lambs so far (the second of which arrived this morning at an indecently early hour!) but expecting another seven from five ewes, according to the scanners anyway.

Best wishes

Alex

Hi Lesley

It's just a subcutaneous, so not too bad. I have had to do intramuscular several times and hated it (mainly because I am squeamish! the vet said if I hit the bone, withdraw a couple of mm :shock: )

I do the side of the neck by habit but I think like you say that is only to protect the valuable bits of the carcase so irrelevant for me really. I was also shown to do between the front leg and the chest, sort of the armpit, where there is some handy loose skin. When I have had to do it on my own, for some ewes I have needed to turn them and then either the neck or armpit are handy to do without assistance.

It's like dog and cat vaccines, when it's not a booster you need two jabs to start them off, two weeks apart, and after that it is once yearly.

I don't know if you can do it if the ewe is pregnant. Ideally you boost a few weeks before lambing to protect the lambs, but otherwise you can treat them quite young if necessary. I forget when exactly - 4 to 6 weeks old perhaps?

Anyway, hope all your other sheep are doing well, and I hope you will get some lovely lambs in a few weeks. We only have two lambs so far (the second of which arrived this morning at an indecently early hour!) but expecting another seven from five ewes, according to the scanners anyway.

Best wishes

Alex

Thanks Alex - I went and read the book properly afterwards :roll: Subcutaneous doesn't sound too bad :?:wink:

Are your Shetlands difficult to turn? - our are a bit of a pig to do - perhaps because they're a bit too fat. Probably not the best thing to do in case they are pregnant anyway. We turned bigger sheep with no problem at the Ag. College - just ours that are difficult.

If I'm not back in here later then you'll all know why :lol:

Hi Lesley

Yeah the subcut is ok I guess, although I did nearly do a Trude Mostue on one occasion (but realised in time!)

Some of my shetlands are ok to turn, generally the slightly bigger or older ones. Some OTOH are a right pain! It sometimes seems to be the tamer ones that are most resistant, perhaps because they are not scared to take us on in a fight! The massive mules we've done on various courses have always been easier! Our shearer had a lot of trouble one year with a couple of the smaller ones, he said most sheep are not that lively when turned. The joys of shetlands I guess.

I try not to turn them if possible and definitely not when they are pregnant. I usually have them stand alongside a wall and then back them up against a corner if there is one, then just gently press on their front shoulder to keep them still, turn the head a bit to expose some neck and then get jabbing. Definitely easier with two people though.

What are yours like, are they quite tame? Ours really vary, even among the ones we have bred so handled from a young age, some are friendier than others. Several mob us and jump up for strokes when we go into the field whereas at the other extreme there is one who is a complete nightmare to catch, refusing to even be bribed with the great digestive biscuit. Mainly they follow a bucket ok and are calm in the yard.

Cheers :)

Alex