Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Not really on the 'grey' theme - although they were filmed in Black and White if that counts as grey?.....

...I'm talking about your bluebelles Lesley and about naming two of them Prudence and Primrose (Pru and Prim) after the 'Prudence Kitten' TV program on Watch with Mother from the 50's and 60's.

I found a link here:

http://www.sausagenet.com/program.asp?mode=view&progid=959&progname=Prudence+Kitten

I had Dorian 8) (and Earl) on the list for the boy kittens but they didn't feel right........

I'll have to wait and see what the hens look like I think....

We have a resident fox at the moment :evil: It is driving Jazz mad and she runs off as soon as we let her out, following fox tracks. It's a bit worrying as the fox may have gone out towards the main road.........

It is mangey looking and has been marking it's territory extremely well :evil: - it reeks of fox everywhere, even opening the bedroom window makes the house smell. It has been around for a few weeks - we know that because Jazz has been rolling in fox poo :evil: , but now seems to be happily strolling around a lot of the day...... It amanged to scratch at the electric wire around the hens last week when the battery was a bit low so we've had to make sure that the batteries are all up to strength and change them often.

Matthew is away at the moment but when he gets back I thought I'd tell him that the fox goes across to the end of the next field where he raises his pheasants....... then he will shoot it for us :wink:

We have a gun but neither of us have the stomach to shoot it - unless it was in the process of killing our hens perhaps....... :?

Hi Lesley, sorry I've not been around in ages. What a time you've been having. Sorry to hear about Skye, poor thing but I agree that a sheeps main aim in life is to die. I had a friend who's dad kept sheep and they are fickle animals at the best of times. They would appear halthy and then just drop, or fall off things, walk into things etc.

Did you every get to what the problems was?

It could have been pregnancy related Trish - there are a couple of things which cause sheep to just keel over.......

You can't tell whether thay are pregnant until about a week before, when their udders start to swell. Farmers have their flocks scanned as if you have a lot of sheep, it costs very little. With just a few sheep, it wouldn't be worth it.

We love surprises :lol:

All our bees are dead :(:(

We noticed on Thursday that there were a lot of dead bees being pushed out of the doorway. They were piling up behind the mouse guard so we took that off.

We weren't able to open up the hive until today when it was windless and mild for a short time - all were dead.

I contacted two people from Stratford Beekeepers and had emails and a phone call back. It appears that they have starved - despite there being a big slab of fondant for them. Lots of people have lost their bees recently because the really abysmal summer meant that bees weren't strong enough to face the winter. The person running the Stratford Courses has lost 2 out of his 8 hives and another experienced beekeeper has lost all 10 of his hives. We couldn't have chosen a worse summer to start with bees :(

We were worried that we caused suffering but apparently not, we did everything that we should have done :? .

We hope to start again this summer - but it won't be the same as bringing a hive full of bees through the winter - you miss all the early foraging and consequently have less honey.

I almost wish we'd taken off all the honey from last year - we only took 10lbs and lef tthe rest to make sure they had a good start to winter with their own stores.

I think bee colonies for starters may be in short supply this year because of the summer :?