Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

We'd tried flooding ours out but the water must have drained too well because nothing appeared!

The lamb was OK once the ewe was removed from the paddock. I'm hoping she has a throwback lamb and produces a black one like her mother was! We only have the old black ewe left, and she's going grey - Skye was beautiful and all black!

....trousers tucked into socks and wearing Crocs......hmmmmm, I don't think it's likely to start a trend :lol:

I frequently do the school run sporting this fashion style :wink::lol::lol::lol: .............you mean it isn't trendy :?::?::?:

Glad your sheep has finally been collected.........they took long enough didn't they - a case of friday forgetfulness on their behalf perhaps :?::?:

Hope you get the rat problem sorted out. Do they still have men with 'ratter' dogs who rent themselves out to farmers?

Karen x

There used to be a chap in my street who did that Karen, but he's moved away. I love ratting :D:D

Lesley, I think that if it had been anything contagious, that you'd have noticed symptoms on Skye (bless her little wooly socks :? ) and other ewes woud have succumbed too.

Hope you get the rat problem sorted out. Do they still have men with 'ratter' dogs who rent themselves out to farmers?

Karen x

There used to be a chap in my street who did that Karen, but he's moved away. I love ratting :D:D

It's a shame all the old ways are disappearing :( I grew up in the middle of no-where, and there used to be people who caught rats and moles etc. I used to hate seeing the moles hanging by their noses on the barbed wire :( but it was a way of saying the man had been, and how many he had caught.

Karen x

Ooooo Yes please for the horse and cart.

I had my first carriage driving experience on Saturday and we even harrowed the field with two Cleveland Bays :lol::lol:

Ooh! how lovely - I'm not a horsey person but I do love to see the big working horses 8)

The sheep are Shetland - we started with 2 white, 2 black and 2 white with black faces and socks. We had 7 lambs last year and kept the 2 little ewe lambs.

Two ram lambs went off to slaughter last November and the remaining three go as Hoggetts next Monday. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the flavour for keeping them longer. I suspect there will be and I've spoken to quite a few people who overwinter their ram lambs.

We borrowed a Shetland Ram last December and the plan was to keep him with our ewes for 6 weeks - we kept him for just two weeks as he was headbutting the fences and we were in danger of having no fences left :evil:

We will wait and see in May - we may have lambs. The only ewe we saw being paid attention from the ram was Skye, the one who has just died :?

....and Yes! - we do have 12 Eglus as in my signature!

I love the Eglu and I prefer it to the Cube....... we bought some recons. some second hand......some off Ebay.....and a couple from people who needed to rehome their hens due to relocation. Then, when the Cube first came out, I saw the chance to buy from people who had two Eglus but now wanted a Cube (much easier to persuade OH's if you have a ready sale for the two Eglus you've only recently bought :wink::lol: ) The last one was from somebody locally who is getting married and couldn't take her one hen with her..... the hen has been integrated in with the bantams and the Eglu will be our "isolation ward!" - we very rarely go out and didn't go on holiday last year and so we spent money on Eglus instead :D

We have now replaced the few wooden coops we bought to house our growing flock - we had problems in them with red mite last summer.

We still have three wooden sheds for table birds - but they are only in temporary use.

Wow fantastic! Even got a nice yellow one! Are you not tempted by a lilac one though?! Or orange. You aren't using any eglu runs then, just the eglus themselves? I am guessing you have some mark 1s and 2s.

I have seen that thread on RC and also seen how ... controversial :? ... the topic of eglus seems to be there. Oh it would be hilarious if you posted this photo there :D

cheers

alex

Don't forget there are two more - the rabbits are in a green Mark2, and there is a blue one as an isolation ward...........even I wouldn't get away with asking Carl for a Lilac one........ :lol: I would love a Lilac one.....

..... and I value my life too much to post this on RC :lol: