Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Sheep hold a very special place in my heart and one day I will have enough land to have a couple :D:D

Ditto 8)

I would like a small flock of about 4.

I would call them Fleece Lightning, Pullover, Wooly and Jersey.

I would also have 2 donkeys called Geoffrey and George :lol:

OK comes back down to earth with a bump!!! :(

And have you told Mo this Em?

:lol:

A

xx

when i go to Chichester I always have to drive a particular route and hope that the level crossing gates are down as right by the crossing in a house with a field and they have a pet sheep 8):D:D

Always makes me smile when the sheep is in the children's half of the field as they've got a swing, slide and a trampoline and sometimes the sheep is having a snooze under the trampoline.............I always wonder if in the dead of night it has a go on the trampoline (Shaun the Sheep style :wink: ) :lol::lol:

Always makes me smile when the sheep is in the children's half of the field as they've got a swing, slide and a trampoline and sometimes the sheep is having a snooze under the trampoline.............I always wonder if in the dead of night it has a go on the trampoline (Shaun the Sheep style :wink: ) :lol::lol:

I bet it does! :wink::lol::lol::lol:

Lesley has a trampoline - we will have to ask her to spy and see if her sheep have the occasional bounce about! :lol:

We probably would have woolly jumpers (groan....) if the trampoline didn't belong to Jazz :lol::lol: - much to Lauren and Jake's disgust!! :lol:

I noticed Mo tighten the straps last time you were here Emma :lol: - and he looked very worried as you were trying to buy a cottage at the time........ :lol:

It didn't feel like a tough week - once I'd dried off :evil: - it just felt 'normal' :?

It's amazing what passes for normal these days :lol:

The sheep is still here :( - I know it's not like a Vet coming...... but I find it distasteful for her to be left like this. Perhaps it is usual in farming circles? We daren't complain too loudly in case thay make us move her ourselves - a friend of my son had a sheep blow up in the back of his truck........ :? We'll phone again today........ :roll:

We had fun yesterday.........our rat problem is getting out of hand and we haven't been able to set the traps as the rabbit keeps digging into the area where the Eglus are...... and where the rats are making lovely runs all over and under.... looking for food. We changed all the feeders to the gravity fed ones where the hens have to peck at a spiral and no feed is left on the ground.

We need to put buried netting around the rabbits area and under the Eglus , lift the Eglus off the ground, concrete under the quail and lift the main feed shed off the ground - isn't hindsight a wonderful thing :oops:

My son and his friend were working for us yesterday and Carl was working from home. My son decided to raise the shed and see what happened to the rats............

....... so trousers tucked into socks and armed with shovels and sticks he started to move the shed, bit at a time.

Rats everywhere!! We disposed of about 15 but 3 or 4 got away.

When Lauren and Jake came home from school, they went to look at the rats and another broke cover and ran across the lawn. We'd kept Jazz away from the earlier fun, but she took off after this one, along with Jake, Poor Carl was dragged along at the end of Jazz's extending lead :lol: The rat bit Jazz on her lip as she cornered it.

The shed was moved completely and the area underneath where they'd been living was cleared - the shed was moved back into place but is raised off the ground.

As I was mostly observing and telling the others which way the rats were running, I'd gone out wearing fairly decent trousers and managed to not fall over in the mud.........so I went out to the beekeeping course at the college in the same trousers. I'd had to feed Lauren and Jake before they went home..... and have something to eat ourselves, collect eggs/feed animals/feed Jazz.... and be at the college and parked, by 7pm....

.......... it was half way through the evening before I realised that I still had my trousers tucked in my socks :oops: - at least it made Martin smile when I realised :lol:

Rats and a dead sheep :shock: Poor you Lesley. Hard to believe they take so long to collect, sure Defra wouldn't approve of the length of time.

You're more patient than I'd be :oops:

We hope we'll get over to the market and pop in to see what you've done in the summer. Just so busy :roll:

BBx :)

That's really bad about the sheep Lesley, I suppose at least it's not the height of summer but still. We have lost a sheep on two occasions, and each time, the fallen stock man came the day after we phoned. Perhaps ours died at a quiet time though?!

Your rat situation sounds like ours too, there are burrows coming out from under our shed, I want to move it and look underneath but not sure how to, plus am a bit scared! What did you do to the ones you managed to get?

Hope the sheep gets collected soon

Cheers

alex

That's really bad about the sheep Lesley, I suppose at least it's not the height of summer but still. We have lost a sheep on two occasions, and each time, the fallen stock man came the day after we phoned. Perhaps ours died at a quiet time though?!

Your rat situation sounds like ours too, there are burrows coming out from under our shed, I want to move it and look underneath but not sure how to, plus am a bit scared! What did you do to the ones you managed to get?

Hope the sheep gets collected soon

Cheers

alex

Hi Alex

I'm afraid they all came to a sticky end...... with the aid of shovels and big sticks :? At least it is a quick end :?

We surrounded the shed and my son used a large piece of wood to lever the shed and move it about a foot at a time, alternating sides of the shed. A couple of rats at a time would run out. He moved it completely off its base doing this and then we moved the slabs which they burrowed under as well.

When it was all clear, they moved it back onto concrete blocks so that there is a big gap underneath - rats don't like all that space.

We only had 9 eggs today........ so I don't think we'll take up the offer of a ratter just yet Clare :lol:

The sheep was picked up this morning! I made Carl phone and he spoke to the same woman I spoke to on Friday evening - she couldn't believe she hadn't been collected :shock: A man called about half an hour later :)

Ooh you are braver than I am! Mind you hubby is worse, he screamed when a rat ran out from under the duck pond last summer! Apparently it was just because it surprised him rather than scared him ;-) Perhaps we will try levering the shed up and disturb them at least. At least the chooks aren't living in that shed now, they have a new one on stilts which is better like you say.

Glad poor sheep has gone, hope her lamb is ok now. Our ewe that died last November had had twins in 2006 but they didn't seem to notice/care that she had died.

Cheers

alex