Lesley

The Good Life......continued....

Rotten luck :( - I've never known weather like the last 12 months, I'm not surprised it has such an effect on the bees and other animals. Some of the long time chicken keepers are seeing changes in the way chickens are moulting, laying, going broody etc., probably because of the weather :(

What a shame :cry:

If this has happened on a large scale will that not screw everything up?

Bees are not the kind of thing you want to be in short supply are they :shock: particularly if you grow food wot needs pollunating. It might have a few serious consequences for farmers and people who eat food. :shock:

Kev.

What a shame :cry:

If this has happened on a large scale will that not screw everything up?

Bees are not the kind of thing you want to be in short supply are they :shock: particularly if you grow food wot needs pollunating. It might have a few serious consequences for farmers and people who eat food. :shock:

Kev.

You would be right if it continues in a big way.

I would think that at the moment, there will still be plenty of bees and Nature is just having a blip :?

Today's instalment includes Martin......... :wink:

We went to collect our 6 rescue hens - they were caught and boxed up for us by Martin and Clash City Rocker - nice to meet you Clash! :D

I couldn't believe how nice the weather was - a beautiful sunny day 8) I tried hard not to look at all the hens because I knew I would see a particular hen I just had to have....... and I don't think Martin or CCR would take kindly to singling particular hens out :lol:

I was surprised at how well feathered the girls were :shock: - I have a lovely jumper knitted by Olly but none of them need it at the moment. We plumped for the Eglu in the end as it won't disappear in the gales which are forecast. They are sheltered there as well. They all found their way into the Eglu and also found the food and water.

We have the 6 names ready but won't allocate them until we've seen how they all get on.

2008_0309RescueHens0008.jpg

Next door cockerel taking an interest.........

2008_0309RescueHens0009.jpg

Inspecting the new home....

2008_0309RescueHens0010.jpg

2008_0309RescueHens0011.jpg

I hope Lesley does not mind me posting these pictures in here...

Well first of all, I have some pictures of my 2 new hens. Florence and Ermintrude. I think that Florence is a really nice, fitting name so thankyou to Egluntine for the suggestion! :D

Florence:

saturdaysunday012.jpg

Florence has a bad leg. It is quite badly bruised and therefore she stands on one leg and only just manages to hop around. John and Monica assure me that she shall get better soon which is good news! :D

Ermintrude:

saturdaysunday015.jpg

Ermintrude is the baldish chicken in the picture above (middle) she looks white and has very little colour in her. Despite her lack of plummage she is very lively, she was so brave that she jumped the fence between John and Monica's hens and the new rescue hens to join in with the established flock! Fortunately we resuced her before she recieved some unwanted attention from Albert the cockerel and of course any other bully hens! ;)

Here is a picture of the pair of them together:

saturdaysunday016.jpg

Yesterday was very cold and there were several hens who were effected by the weather due to their lack of feathers, here they are:

saturdaysunday011.jpg

John and Monica are now using the Eglu Cube as a henspital for any ill hens. At the moment it is occupied by one blind hen and one hen with egg peritionitis:

Tilt your head for this one! ;)

saturdaysunday009.jpg

saturdaysunday010.jpg

Bless them!

Not a bad day. Lesley was very prompt which is what we like! ;) We only had 2 people who did not arrive before the 2pm deadline, but one phoned to tell us they were running late and the other was only half an hour or so late.

The weather kept out for us as per usual, I just hope that Florence and Ermintrude are ok with the winds tonight... :?

Martin

Thanks Clare.

I felt that I had to take Florence in particular because some people might freak out because of her injury and inexperienced hands might not have been the best for her, but I have isolation wards etc. if needed.

Ermintrude was the one that caught my eye as she was the scrawniest! She will be great for proving the point. I have so many people at school interested.

I have to do a Speaking exam tomorrow for English and I am doing Battery Hens. (Playing it safe) so some pictures of her will help the cause! :)

oh, well done both of you for rescuing those girls :D

I love the pictures of them in the sun :D , im sure that they probably think that they have just gone to heaven :D

Hope that they all have long and happy lives with you :D

good luck Martin in your exam tomorrow, im sure you will be fab :D

cathy

x

Lovely to see which ones you rescued Martin - and I love the names.

We were only prompt because Carl literally dragged me away from this forum.... :oops:

I don't know if our 6 think that have gone to heaven this morning :? - thay had a lovely afternoon and then the most vile night. They have all stayed in the Eglu this morning but their neighbours are out in the wind and rain, so perhaps they will learn from them.