AnnieP

Lovely people

Thought this would be a good subject to balance out some of the moaning we all do too!

The man who delivers our groceries is smashing. He comes every Sunday morning and we always make him a cup of tea and have a chat. He says we're the only people who do this for him.

Last weekend when he came, OH and I were putting up a wrought iron gate we have reclaimed from the days when our house used to be a farm and were digging up the gate posts. He was interested and asked where we were getting the iron estate fencing from to go either side. We told him we were probably buying it from a blacksmith we had found on the internet but as it was going to be very expensive, we would have to wait a while first.

I had been in from work 5 minutes tonight when he turned up, with gate posts and fencing and a welder and all the business and is currently on our drive welding it all together for us!

Turns out he welds in a factory Monday to Friday for a living. He has spent his lunch hours this week making it all for us! He's made posts with filials on and everything! Its amazing!

What a lovely person eh?

Come on, tell us about someone you know who's a star!

how lovely Annie there are lots of lovely people aren't there,

something we were taught was that if you do someting well for someone they will tell 3 people ,i f you do it badly they will tell 11, good to try an redress the balance I shall try to think of some more lovely people stories , unfortunately the bad stories are also the ones you tend to remember :roll:

mind you sounds like Cinnamon's vet deserves a mention and there is also purple hen who worked so hard to find homes for all my friends animals :):)

Great posting AnnieP :D You're right - there are some good folk around.

I love the feeling you get when you help someone out or offer friendship and it is rewarded with returned frienship and favours etc. Even the little things. :D

Thats a great story. restores your faith in humanity. :lol:

I've mentioned her before but our lollipop lady is the biz! Just brilliant. When i have more time and motivation I am going to see about nominating her for a peoples award thingy. And my dad, for the nursing of mum he does - just amazing.

They used to do a slot on the radio Linda, where the presenter encouraged people to give a flower or bunch of flowers to someone they see everyday, but they don't know...somone like the bus driver, or man in the paper shop etc.

It went down a storm.

Can you imagine getting a bunch of flowers because you always say good morning to the same person that you pass in the street everyday on your way to work! Brilliant idea.

We want ot do something in return, but we can't think of anything. Money seems so obscene, and not in the same spirit. Of course he's had eggs and Rhubarb jam (Thanks for the recipe Kate) off us, but somehow it doesn't quite equate. We don't know where he lives, or even his last name, so flowers are out, and as we cannot guarantee that it would be him who delivers our groceries, we can't even take a risk and get some, just in case it is soemone different who turns up...I'd have to keep them... :wink:

Any suggestions? He doesn't drink. He's in his early 50's. Has a wife and a teenaged son.

You know what Annie, I think a thank you card and something home-made would go down a treat.

If you make something that can keep a little while, I'm sure he would appreciate the effort, rather than spending the money on him with a bought gift.

Here is my suggestion (attention it is Swiss customs so not sure it will go down well with you lot so no rolling eyes please :wink: )

Why don't you give him some money but tell him it is for his son to buy something nice. It usually goes down well here "Ooops, word censored!"ody's pride is hurt and everybody is happy.

Here is my suggestion (attention it is Swiss customs so not sure it will go down well with you lot so no rolling eyes please :wink: )

Why don't you give him some money but tell him it is for his son to buy something nice. It usually goes down well here "Ooops, word censored!"ody's pride is hurt and everybody is happy.

I think that sounds like a lovely custom, I know the fastest way to my heart is through my kids :) I have one lovely patient who always comes laden with little gifts for my girls, I'm always glad to see him :)

Glad to be of some service (just got 1 £ from the mother of a schoolfriend of my daughter for photocopies, he always forgets his homework in school, they boy told me I could keep it or give it to my girl.......well I kept it :twisted: you should have seen the face of my daughter :lol: ) she is richer than me at the moment since the toothfairy had come 3 x this month so she went out and squandered her money on a tamagotchi (virtual pet) :roll:

But let us know for which idea you have gone will you