MaggieMcHen

Cube run - door conversion (Type 2)

This is a (modified) repeat of the message I posted ages ago I will try and keep it at the top.

Arch to be found here: http://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?product_id=501 edited 27/03/2011 - product is no longer sold

Hinged the end panel on one side.

Velcro fastenings (made by Velcro for securing cables etc.) for the top and down one side where it needs to be opened, and the clips supplied for the hinge on the second side.

Tried dog leash clips instead of Velcro - work well but damage the plastic coating of the mesh if you aren't VERY careful.

Picture of adaptation on my photo page

It is just 'loose' but as the door doesn't exactly 'swing' on its side hinge it isn't a problem. Foxes dig down and therefor don't move it. It also catches on the skirt 'hooks' that I have used to secure that. There is also one dogleash clip on the bottom opening edge incase any fox decided to be a bit enthusiastic.

Photos now added of the clip, and bottom of the door.

Edited by Guest

This should be "type 1" really as your idea was way before my attempt! :D

I wanted to do your version originally as wanted a full door ..but I have very uneven ground and a couldn't get the bottom fox proof enough hence my hinge adaptation..

I believe from my last conversatio, James has discussed a larger door with the designers so you never know one day we may get our wish!

Oh HOOOray! Will those of us who thought of and executed the idea get a prototype to try? :roll::clap:

Well don't know how hopeful he was of a change any time soon, although he did seem to accept it was very much needed!

As to will we get one to try..hmm.. here's hoping!

Hi maggie

Great idea for a conversion :clap: . At the moment, I have to get my kids to go in the run.The door is just big enough for them :roll: !

My question is about the extension. I have the cube and the extension to 3 meters, if that makes sense (one less than you) but I only received one run frame.

Did you buy extra as I see you have three on your run?

Thanks

Mand.

I've used my new "Support Arch" in a slightly different way.

I've put it in the middle of the run rather than the door end.

ext1.jpg

3 clips on both sides and my old Eglu cover holding the top together.

Undo the clips and I can now do this...........

ext2.jpg

Easy access for digging, racking and cleaning the front of the Cube.

Yes they use the perches in fact one of the hens prefers to sleep in the far back corner on the perches rather than in the cube.

Since the fox got three of my girls there are 3 in the 3 metres quite happily and four would be fine - they aren't allowed out to range unless I am in the area with them. The fox got them whilst I was in and out of the house and the garden.