The Dogmother

Claret's chicks

Well, I managed to catch some photos of the chicks yesterday lunchtime, and you won't believe how they have grown. They are sprouting feathers like stubble on a teenager's chin and looking a tad gawky at the moment, but no less cute for it.

Did someone mention dinner?

Wheresmedinner.jpg

The lighter Barnie chick, complete with miniature fluffy bottom

lighterbarnieagain.jpg

I'm nearly as big as mum now

Imnearlyasbigasmum.jpg

Herbert looking all grown up

Herbertlookingallgrownup.jpg

Darker Barnie chick showing adult feathers coming on the front

darkfeatherscomingonthefront.jpg

I had to get them a new feeding trough as herbert was getting in the bowl I had and kicking the food all over the place :roll: , they also have a new drinker because someone was pooing in the old one.

It's lovely to see them outside Clare - I'll be glad when mine can go out on the grass instead of a cardboard box.

Herbert is looking very well :wink: - more corn required I think :wink:

I am giving them Indigo Wheat (with some sunflower seeds) as a treat like I do for the other chooks - it's got loads of protein, but less fat than corn, I get it from Wiggly Wigglers. I find that it gives them better condition than just corn, but in the winter, I mix in a bit of corn too for the energy they need to keep warm. Every once in a while they also get a handful of Omega seeds.

Spoilt chooks!

Well, we got back from Norfolk a couple of hours ago, so haven't seen the chicks yet - I bet they are bigger - Biscuit certainly seems to be! :roll:

We went to visit some friends in Norfolk - they have a bit of a smalholding, and loads of chicks about a month older than ours - they seem so much bigger :shock: These chicks were a bit of a mistake, as they went on holiday and the person lookaing after the hens forgot to take the eggs out of the nest, so they all went broody and by the time they got back it was too late - they now have about 15 half grown chicks. They are all mixed breeds, but lovely - J & P were trying to get us to take some, but they are too big to go with our girls and I don't have the room.