Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

They certainly did taste good! :D

The potatoes we planted in the polytunnel are also just about ready - another week I think. Next year I think I'll get them planted a bit earlier. The ones we dug up yesterday were (a self-grown from one left in last year) Charlotte which is a second early - we'll see what the Riviera (FE) are like, as they are especially suited to polytunnel growing, and if we like them then we'll have some more next year and plant early.

I'm in London - we have a warmer micro-climate (probably due to all the pollution)! But it was weird, it seemed like three weeks ago all the trees were totally bare, and now they're all in full blossom! And it's extra beautiful this year, particularly magnolias - as if they're compensating for that long cold winter. Maybe!

Rhubarb! I am going to forage for some elderflowers later (think they're in blossom now) to have a go at elderflower champagne, as made on the Cottage Garden.

Haven't tried making the champagne but had a go at the cordial. Not terribly successful, so I think I might not have had a good recipe or I just got it wrong. It went very cloudy very quickly.

Our elderflowers aren't out here yet, which is just as well as it is very windy! Good luck with the champagne :D

The potatoes we planted in the polytunnel are also just about ready .

Had a polytunnel in the UK but only managed to grow melons and strawberries - everything else managed to get blight or some other disease. :( Not a great success story for us. Would like to be able to grow early produce though.

Just about to go and pull a few leeks :)

I should have posted a few weeks ago that I picked next doors asparagus :D

(with permission of course!)

And repaid them with an armful of rhubarb. This week I've been picking purple sprouting and today I'm going to pull the last of the leeks; but I can see some have gone woody - I might let those flower.

I'm jealous of those potatos Lesley - they seem very early; it must be so satisfying to be able to fully provide a traditional roast Sunday lunch.

Henriette, try this recipe. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5412&hilit=elderflower+cordial

Been doing it a couple of years and the cordial stays fresh for up to a year in the fridge. I am drinking it now to try and alleviate hay fever! A small dose every day.

The elders here are barely in leaf! :shock: Very late this year.

Thanks very much :D I will definitely try it again this year. Like you are trees are way behind, but I will make sure I have all the ingredients to hand for when they are ready :D

I'm jealous of those potatos Lesley - they seem very early; it must be so satisfying to be able to fully provide a traditional roast Sunday lunch.

They were only so early because that one plant was a leftover self-grown one from last year's crop in the polytunnel - it was about a week ahead of this years which I planted. Most of our meals are all home-grown these days, we're very fortunate.

Today I picked spinach/chard and yesterday I picked Angelica which I'm candying.

I've never tried making wine before but I'm looking set to have a glut of gooseberries as I've got four massive bushes and they're all fruiting really well. My work colleagues looked less than enthusiastic when I offered to bring some of the wine in for them to taste, though, and someone even muttered something about there being a reason why there aren't massive gooseberry 'vineyards' in France! Meanies! :lol: