Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

Only peas picked - but if you were asking 'what should I have picked today?' the answer would be French Beans, Courgettes, Blackcurrants, Goseberries, Raspberries, Cauliflowers - I can't process it all fast enough!

Tracy

I can now report all goseberries & blackcurrants picked and processed - goseberries in the freezer, some blackcurrant jam made and more blackcurrants straining through the jelly bag to make cordial as we speak. Stil cannot keep up with the rest!

Tracy

Yesterday we picked,

4 more courgettes, 2 given to neighbours

5 turnips

loads of new potatoes, some of which were big enought to be baking potatoes (the variety is Bonnie) I am sure they were small last year :roll:

cabbage

peas

French beans, the first of many

carrots

radishes

Raspberries

We are eating very well at the moment. :D

I can't keep up with posting the stuff we've picked from the garden and the lottie but ian picked 3kg of wild cherries yesterday. bagged and frozen and ready to make into liqueur!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5990260&l=2e4cde3c7b&id=568396756

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5990261&l=1f7b2bf4bb&id=568396756

we know where there are wild plums so we'll be off for those sometime at the weekend i think.

Eight weeks ago I rescued a couple of sprouting King Edwards from my larder. I threw them into an old grow bag and this morning I harvested THREE pounds of the most gorgeous new KEs.

We have just eaten them with scallops collected on a fishing trip today wrapped with Cumbrian smoked free range pancetta. yummmmmmmmmmm

I've picked; home guard potatoes, were growing in an old coal bag, and some french beans. Almost forgot, one blueberry :lol:

The chickens picked; all the blackcurrants off my first fruiting bush :evil: Actually, when I noticed they had all but demolished them I lifted Lola up and she had the last three currants, poor thing couldn't reach :lol:

Poet, wild cherries 8) They look smaller than normal cherries. Are they related to normal cherries?

Eight weeks ago I rescued a couple of sprouting King Edwards from my larder. I threw them into an old grow bag and this morning I harvested THREE pounds of the most gorgeous new KEs.

We have just eaten them with scallops collected on a fishing trip today wrapped with Cumbrian smoked free range pancetta. yummmmmmmmmmm

I've done that before. 'They' tell you not to as you're more likely to introduce disease into the soil but if you do it in a grow bag then throw the soil away, I don't see why you shouldn't :D i bet they were tasty!

The chickens picked; ....

:lol::lol::lol:

Poet, wild cherries 8) They look smaller than normal cherries. Are they related to normal cherries?

apparently so. They make delicious cherry liqueur and cherry wine. We did a small amount of both last year and they were so nice that we're picking as many as we can get this year! :lol: Too small to do anything else with really.

this is what we picked today, more cherries and some early plums.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5999699&l=fad63973fc&id=568396756

from Richard Mabey...

You can make musky Languedocien aperitifs by steeping edible fruits in vodka. Wild cherry and cloudberry are particularly ambrosial

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/jan/06/food.guardianspecial4

just in case anyone wonders what 'Languedocien' means - The Languedoc is an area of France, i only know because we've been otherwise i think that word would have thrown me! Why can't he just say 'French'!!??? :lol:

Our dogs are picking........plums..........just starting to change colour, but not ripe :evil: They've already picked the cherries :evil:

One problem we hadn't foreseen when training fruit trees along low fencing :roll:

As well as the courgettes ( :think: why don't dogs pick those? :think: ) we've just started french beans, the runners aren't far behind. We're still picking peas as I did a lot of successional sowing and, unlike the lettuce, they have nicely followed on from each other.

Yesterday evening we picked

1 carrier bag full of French beans

half a bag full of peas

several large courgettes

turnips

cabbages

raspberries

redcurrants

broad beans (last of the crop to go to a friend who loves tough old beans :vom: )

potatoes

carrots

lifted all of the shallots and a couple of onions, the rest we will do at the weekend.

I am freezing the beans today, if I can find room in the freezer :anxious:

Oooooh! congratulations! - I'll go and see if our first ones are ready yet..............

Carl picked two Harlequin Squash the other day - they weren't ready but he harvested them :roll: He thought they were small ones like Jack be Little so he picked them.....they're supposed to be medium sized :roll:

We're picking Waverex petit pois now - a bit of a faff to pick and pod but soooo sweet., beans of all types have gone mad as have the tomatoes..........

........and the courgettes :evil:

:D

We had another 6 sweetcorn last night, they are from some very early plants that we bought. They suffered in the cold weather we had in early May, and kept turning yellow when it was cold and almost imediately back to green when it warmed up. the plants are slightly smaller than the later ones and most only have one or cobs. We will have to wait for about a week for any more I think.

I picked another half carrier bag full of French beans (more blanching :roll: ) some proper sized courgettes, we have a brief lull where we are keeping up with them, and managing to eat them fairly small :D We had some lightly roasted with home grown cherry tomatoes, red onion and some French beans, we then tossed a heaped teaspoon of homemade pesto with them once cooked. very tasty. :D

More tomatoes. Everything else is so slow this year. My neighbour has told me that his beans are the only thing doing well in his garden while his other veg is slow. Seems to be something in the air here. I can wave goodbye to any onions in the future after 2 of my girls (one big and one little) have successfully demolished the whole bed after sneaking in there. Words cannot possibly describe how I felt - and there were not enough words suitable to yell at them either without having the neighbours complain. :boohoo:

So far this year the tomatoes have been the best ever. The Tumblers in the hanging baskets have made good sized really tasty tomatoes and the greenhouse ones are now ripening fast too. I never feel truely confident with tomatoes until i have harvested the last one, blight is always a worry, but so far so good :D:anxious:

My tomatoes aren't as good as last year - last year family events overtook me and I couldn't keep on top of all the pinching out and tying in and I had a jungle of tomatoes in the polytunnel. This year I've kept on top of it and the polytunnel looks really good.....but nowhere near as many tomatoes :shock: I think I prefer my multi stemmed tomatoes :lol:

The beans though have gone mad now.........picking them by the bucketful.

Hooray!!! I've picked my first tomato!!! Annoying thing is, it's on a tiny little plant in the smallest pot you can imagine (it was a leftover from the main planting) and I actually think I'm going to get a better crop from that than any of the other plants, it's certainly much earlier!!!!

I also picked my entire crop of redcurrants (all 17 of them - yes, you read right, 17 redcurrants!) and the chucks have really enjoyed those!!!!!