Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

Hi Lesley,

My medlar jelly doesn't taste of anything much :?
Sorry to hear that. Did you let the medlars turn soft before cooking them or cook them straight off the tree? I've tried both in the past and find letting them go soft first seems to bring out the flavour - they're also really good if you use quince as the pectin source for the jelly instead of lemon.

pick the first sprouts of the season today I've finally found a variety that grows on my plot :D

re medlars I've a friend that makes medlar jelly, she picks them last weekend in October but doesn't make the jelly till nearly christmas. We had a jar of last years at Painswick for sampling have to say it was well tasty

The first of our purple sprouting on Sunday, it was lovely, it is under enviromesh and this year because the white fly hasn't been so bad we have been able to leave it covered and have kept the pigeons at bay. We did lose a couple of the first heads that rotted in contact with the snow on top of the mesh but the side shoots are coming on now. :D

We also harvested more carrots which have survived the frost again they are under enviromesh, parsnips, a couple of swedes and 3 beetroot.

I had to really search for this thread, it had slipped waay down. :shock:

We picked our first strawberries today and our first new potatoes, which came from the aubiose and chook poo on the compost heap at the allotment. The plants grew from last autumns rejects, so were a mix of all sorts, but they tasted lovely and had that amazingly soft texture that only freshly harvested new potatoes have :drool::D

The ones in the soil are just coming into flower, so we may have some later this week. :D

We're on the first strawberries as well - warm from the sun and eaten in the garden 8)

We've had a lot of asparagus this year and self-sown spinach.

We're still eating overwintered carrots from the polytunnel and the new ones are just showing. We've also had salad leaves all year through.