Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

We have the best broadbeans ever this year, we usually only grow Aquadulce but this year we have Master green longpod and Bunyards exhibition, they have been fab and with very little blackfly, we have a follow up crop for later in the summer, that are also growing well, the rain came at just the right time. :D

Mine have been a long time gewtting going, now we have about 4 which will come at once by midweek, it has been too cool for them.

We had a good session down the allotment this morning, loads of hoeing done and we picked.

3 large punnets of raspberries

3 large turnips

formost potatoes

3 cabbages the size of basket balls, I kid you not :shock: , 1 for us one for an allotment neighbour and one for a friend, we have 6 more where they came from. :D

1 carrier bag full of broadbeans

and some carrots :D

beetroot, potatoes, courgettes, raspberries, marjoram and mint :D

Our broad beans are almost ready but still a tad on the small side - they are much later this year although I think Bunyards Exhibition is quite an early variety. On the positive side I noticed tassels on the top of the sweetcorn weeks ago.....but its only 2 ft high :shock:

I think the advice is to pick beetroot when it is golfball size - but I prefer to wait till its around the size of a small tennis ball (if such a thing existed!) However, I have bought and delish it was too, a beetroot getting on for the size of a small football :shock: I think if you wait too long it might get woody instead of being a nice texture.

When do you pick beetroot?

Emma.x

when it's ready :lol:

I'll explain my answer

at the end of the day crops( like roots crops cabbage and to some extent cuecumbers) that don't need to ripen are ready when they are the size that you want the to be for your needs that goes for first early spuds that's the reply I give we I do my displays or when new veg gardeners ask when to harvest certain crops

More Strawberries and Raspberries, they are cropping well now. Four cucumbers yesterday and three more today. Another three cucumbers have been left on the plants, I will pick those tomorrow morning and will be given to a work friend who loves Cucumbers. I am getting sick of eating Cucumbers :lol: