Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

as long has they have set the skin

Ah....now that's what I need to understand.......how do you tell a spud's skin is set?

Sorry, southern softee here :oops:

a set skin wont rub off like a new potato does. but the best bet is to leave then in the ground for 2 weeks after the tops have died back which I'm really hoping my lot on the lottie have done as I wont to start lifting them so I can get the sorted ready for the show the end of next month

If you let the tops die down then as sjp said they should have set skins, you then dig them up on a dry day leave them on the surface for about an hour to dry them bag them up and they should store until the spring. You may need to check the sacks from time to time, because if one potato rots it can take the lot with it and Desiree are prone to blight I find.

We freeze mash quite often, I usually make too much and end up with a freezer full of bits which are great for making potato topped dishes and my favourite cheese and onion pasties :drool:

think my french beans are truly over for the year... raspberries finished too.

am about to dig out the remaining potatoes (which were a bit rubbish this year) and tidy up the bed so I can add the contents of my chicken waste bin next to the cube.

still getting courgettes and blackberries are ripening fast.

half a carrier bag of french beans, large punnet of blackberries and the same of raspberries, now onto the autumn ones, 3 large heads of brocolli 2 had green caterpillars despite being covered with enviromesh :x , we had the mesh off for weeding and planting other things in the bed a couple of weeks ago, but it was only open for half an hour :roll:

1 marrow sized courgette and 2 smaller ones, and a cabbage.

We had a vegetable heavy pasta bake for supper with french beans on the side, it was yummy. :D

Four more gherkins, tomatoes, french beans, beetroot and lettuce.

We've also picked the next batch of greengages - that's 60lbs now and we still have loads to pick :shock: The whole house smells of greengages, a lovely vanilla custardy aroma.

The damsons are nearly ready as well.

Fingers crossed for the next lot, sowing them quite thinly and making sure that they get plenty of water can help, flea beatle is always worse in stressed plants.

Yesterday we picked another half carrier full of French beans, some brocolli side shoots, blackberries and raspberries and a few onions and long French shallots. I will be back today for some small cauliflowers we have about 9 all ready at once as usual, fortunately they are only small so we should be able to get through them, by makiing loads of cauliflower cheese and we are having cauliflower and macaroni cheese for tea tonight with loads of French beans on the side. :lol:

I love this time of year when you can wander out into the garden and have a feast, of apples, plums and tomatoes, like I did on Saturday afternoon :D