Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

I picked this today :D . I was so excited, I never expected my broccoli plants to actually produce broccoli :oops::lol: .

5912773577_f0844a2583_m.jpg

homegrown brocc is the BEST. however, I gave up after discovering caterpillars INSIDE the stems :vom:

you can get round this by netting them apparently, but that's beyond me!

the heads I picked early on were great (or caterpillars too small to notice), but later on.... :vom::vom:

That must be where I went right, I did have them netted (after a caterpillar infestation on my purple sprouting broccoli last year :roll: ).

There are loads of heads bigger than that one too :dance: .

Stupid question: once you've cut the broccoli, is that plant no use any more? I'm assuming not but didn't want to get rid of the plant till I was sure :oops: .

no, I think if you leave them in you will get more (but poss smaller) heads - just kind of like deadheading! good on you for the netting tho, I am too disorganised to do it properly.

we had a handful of potatoes and 3 courgettes from the garden tonight. picked the last of the current batch of raspberries, but there were only 10 so I had 7 and the dog had 3!!!

You will get small shoots coming from around where you cut the broccoli head in a few weeks, they are much more like sprouting broccoli. We net all of out brassicas with enviromesh, I hate caterpillars in my broccoli and caulis, they go grey when cooked and tend to put your children off home grown veg. :lol: as do greefly crawling around on your salad plate. :lol:

Hi peeps.

We're having quite a good year so far in the veggie patch. Strawberries have been munched, so have raspberries - and they are flowering again so hopefully much more raspberries later on. Japanese onions are being harvested whenever we need them - only a couple bolted and are lovely and sweet. Garlic has been dried and is hanging in the garage - popped the leeks in their spot. Pak chois have been munched but are now going to seed and being enjoyed by the chickens. We had the first of our calabrese on Thursday. Not one pest among the heads - netting doing a good job. French beans have been picked quite a bit already and now the runner beans are just beginning to join them - picked the first of those yesterday. Toms are doing well inside and out. Peppers are only just beginning to form so quite a while yet before I can nom those.

Best crop of all is the mini oak forest. Seedlings/saplings of which get yanked up from every corner, nook, cranny you could possibly imagine - ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :evil:

Picked 4lb of blackcurrants yesterday and made them all into jam. So now we have 8 jars of blackcurrant jam plus 2 jars of strawberry jam that my great uncle made with the strawberries from his allotment. At least if things become too bad will can live on bread and jam!! :lol:

Peas & Carrots today - baby carrots from thinning out,but still pretty big & they look lovely.

We also got the first big Cucumber of the season,which the hens benefited from as we go away tomorrow!

Goodness knows how many Courgettes we will come home to :roll::roll::roll:

Raspberries, fully ripe but the size of Blackcurrants. Two more flipping Cucumbers. One lonely Strawberry. Daisy and Marrigold got in the veg garden yesterday evening and had a feast :twisted:

The first of the Runner Beans :dance:

I also picked up a penny coin dated 1915 8) while I was constructing two more raised beds. This bit of the veg garden must have been the rubbish tip for the Cottages as we are always unearthing little treasures when we are digging.