Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

We have also been cutting the first of our salad leaves....rocket and red lettuce. Had the rocket with last nights chilli, and the lettuce for lunch today with egg mayo.

Lots of rhubarb too, so rhubarb crumble tonight :drool:

Might make a few jars of rhubarb chutney tomorrow if I can find a recipe.

Christine

:roll: I adore Rhubarb but have never grown it - something I really must get round to!

If you want to grow rhubarb you will get much quicker results if you take a crown from an established patch, so if you find someone with a large patch try to blag some that way. It likes loads of manure.

Mixed salad leaves over the last few days, poo, eggs, naughty broody chickens out of the cube and a slug that found it's way into the greenhouse and was happily munching my butternut squashes (3 now - or rather 3 plants and holey leaves) and followed up with my pak chois - where he was hiding in the drip tray. I wondered if he would like salt with it.

I am eyeing up the elder flower buds and willing them to open quicker!

I picked cat poo and fur balls :x instead of planting seeds.

The old ginger tom who used to hang out in our garden never used our veg beds as toilets. But since we've had our chickens, he doesn't come in our garden anymore and some other cat is now using my beds as a toilet.

I have just put chicken wire over the bit I've raked and hand picked. I now have to check all my other beds too. Not happy.

I picked cat poo and fur balls :x instead of planting seeds.

The old ginger tom who used to hang out in our garden never used our veg beds as toilets. But since we've had our chickens, he doesn't come in our garden anymore and some other cat is now using my beds as a toilet.

I have just put chicken wire over the bit I've raked and hand picked. I now have to check all my other beds too. Not happy.

I know just how you feel :evil: - we have at least 6 farm cats around most of the time - and they just love the big cat litter trays we made for them.....aka raised veggie beds.

We now use Omlet netting around the big veg plot - they can't climb over because it is wobbly. We're testing something called a Cat Gard, in the raised bed area at the moment. We set it up yesterday and will remove all the bits of netting/bricks/upturned seed trays etc and weed the plots ready for the plants I have ready to go in.

I had to pick my favourite gardening gloves off the top garden.

Last night I'd left them in the trug by the back door so that I wouldn't have to battle with the shed door this morning, (2 part stable arrangement) if it was going to be as windy as it had been yesterday.

This morning trug where I'd left it, but no gloves :?

Went to pick some rhubarb and spotted the gloves.....slightly chewed :roll:

So it was marigolds on and gardening gloves put to soak in a bucket of disinfectant to see if I can save them and get the smell of fox off of them :x

Not sure if they'll be ruined as they're a pair of soft leather wool lined that had seen their best days but have been ideal for keeping the soil from getting under my nails while potting plants and stopping any chance of blisters when digging, raking, sweeping etc..

Does anyone have any tips on how the restore leather gloves once they have been soaking ?

I'd imagine they would end up hard and crispy if I put the out later to drip dry on the line :(

Regards,

Christine