Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

I've been really impressed with the stuff we sowed in the polygreenhouse - we had American relatives visiting last week and we wanted to be able to harvest veg before they would be ready in the garden. We've had a really good crop of peas, carrots, broad beans, beetroot and potatoes as well as the usual lettuce, radishes, rocket and pak choi.

I went out at 6.00 this morning and picked lovely warm strawberries - breakfast in the garden! :D I'll have breakfast No.2 when I go to open up the poly g/h and do some weeding......a few peas, a couple of carrots and radishes.....

I was going to post this last night so it's really what was picked yesterday :oops:

We needed a few spuds for a potato salad to go with the BBQ, so decided to raid our first potato bag.

P6140297-1.jpg

this was planted with sprouting new potatoes that we'd forgotten about in the veg basket.

P6140298-1.jpg

OH gets his hands dirty wondering if we were getting loads or leaves but no spuds :(

P6140299-1.jpg

Ta daaa.....enough for the salad and tonight's dinner. Hopefully the bag will keep on producing and we only need to open the velcro door and gather just we need for a few more days to come :dance:

I have another bag further up the garden planted with 'true' potato seed that is about 3 weeks behind this one, so we'll have to compare yealds.

Last night's spuds tasted great considering the original sprouting spuds were almost thrown away.

Christine

Today I picked my first raspberries.

I was really shocked when I saw how ripe (to very overripe) they were, don't quite know how that happened!

Also picked a few strawberries, and turned everything into a smoothie with the addition of some (home made, of course) natural live yoghurt.

I also have some blackcurrants that are looking ready for picking, but there aren't enough to do anything with yet so I'll wait for a few days.

We have a few ripe Tumbler tomotoes, and the raspberries are coming only enough to eat the odd one at the moment but they won't be long.

My peas are nearly there we keep eating the young pods and shoots when we are working at the allotment. I love this time of year there is always something to nibble. :D

ANH was asking about lettuces, I quite often take the outer leaves of them when they are growing because these usually end up going to the chooks anyway. I have so much lettuce at the moment, I need my peas so i can try that lettuce and pea soup that you see a lot of recipes for at this time of year.

Last night I picked.......

Overwintering onions, carrots, new potatoes, broccoli and a savoy cabbage from the allotment plus a load of cut and come again lettuce from the back garden.

Had the spuds, half the carrots and the lettuce for tea last night and I am going to knock out a veggie soup with the rest today.

My peas have gone beserk and are about 7ft tall they would be taller if they hadn't run out of things to climb. So I might pick a few early pods to go in the soup.

I am a bit worried that we might run out of cabbages we only have 61 left, I must stop giving them away :lol:

This week I have been mostly planting leeks, hundreds of them :whistle: I am the King of overkill I think, oh well I like leeks and what is the point of having a huge plot if you don't grow enough food to feed you and everyone you know? :D:D:D The chooks don't do so badly out of the deal either.

Some people say this vegetable growing lark is addictive, I remain unconvinced :liar::wink:

Kev.