Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

Lesley, please let us know how you get on with the cat gard. I'm now trying to pluck up the courage to investigate the contents of my other beds!

Christine, no ideas on how to rescue your gloves I'm afraid. But I know how you feel. I had a brand new pair of suede heels that I applied spray protector to once. I left them to dry on our covered patio and found them the next day in the garden chewed and slobbered to bits! :(

Lesley, please let us know how you get on with the cat gard. I'm now trying to pluck up the courage to investigate the contents of my other beds!

I cleared a few of the veggie beds yesterday and levelled the freshly dug soil. Normally, by the next morning there would ahve been evidence of cat activity.......there was none this morning. I did see a cat strolling past on the other side of the (open to cats) fence and he didn't seem concerned...... :?

I'll give them a few days to realise that the big cat litter trays are available again and let you know.

Still waiting - and getting impatient. The runner beans have been put in yesterday, whahey. Something has been attacking my dwarf Frenchies still, so I went out with the seaweed meal. Seems to have done the trick, no more losses so far. Getting crosseyed potting on - seems I've done it forever and forgetting to sow more.

2 big handfuls of Beetroot & Pak Choi leaves from my thinning, which I have left a little later than usual so we can eat them!

The hens were not impressed as they normally get these,but they polished off my carrott thinnings for me instead :lol:

Looking forward to a nice Caesar salad for supper with these & my salad leaves too :P

Lovely beetroot, small carrots and peas yesterday - all in the polygreenhouse.

Unfortunately I took my eye off the watering in there for a couple of days (poorly animals) and appear to have almost killed all my tomato plants which were still in pots :( - I don't think I want to go and look this morning........ :(

Those pesky slugs again! Today we had the first of our early potatoes that OH put in a flowerpot in the greenhouse - now outside because I need the room for the toms. You should have seen it - Neanderthal man using a stone to s"Ooops, word censored!"e out the rather good sized spuddies. He then replaced a lot of the compost in an effort to let the plant grow some more - a bit of an experiment really. And more salady leaves. :roll:

Spuds were lovely and creamy - yummmmm.

Yesterday we pulled out (from under the still in the soil plant) our first new potatoes - Charlottes.........yum, yum!!!

We had them with salad and herb leaf salad, beetroot and some steak from our own Dexters :D

I wouldn't normally eat hot beetroot with steak and salad.......but it's different when you've grown them yourself and they are at the peak for harvesting :lol: We eat some strange combinations once everything is ready at the same time :lol:

BBQ today and on the menu is: broad bean salad with leaves - chard, beetroot, turnip tops and broad bean tops. OH pulled some new spuds yesterday, but didn't remove the plant yet, so there will be more underneath. There will be other things, but not from the garden. Oh, and yesterday we picked elder heads off our plants and OH hunted up the road for some more and we made 2 batches of champagne.

We had our first broad beans and new potatoes yesterday. We had a combination of Rocket and Spunta which are actually a second early, but they were ready and tasted fantastic, the Rocket are a bit weak on the taste front.

We also found about 7 strawberries but had to buy some to make a full helping for everyone.

Mini raw broad beans with the pod are bleh - kind of hairy texture on the tongue (I know they are hairy inside)! So cooked them and they were so strong flavoured they were also bleh. But the tops were delish! I will wait for the mini beans to develop more as it was a thumbs down all round otherwise.

2 lemons from my lemon tree to make a lemon drizzle cake.I have lettuces in the green house so loads of them, spinach and roses for the hall...I have got lots of tumblingted tomatoes formed in the hanging basket in the conservatory, very early this year..,,.

Nothing.... nothing ready yet, and first lot of radishes are all gone.

My beetroot sowings 1 & 2 are coming on well but going to be a while yet. I put a 3rd sowing in about 10 days ago and another lot today. Me thinks I might end up with a lot of beetroot !

I've done similar with radishes - but sowings are probably too close together (after leaving too long a gap from 1st to second sowings)

I was late sowing my first earlies, so I reckon they probably need a month yet before I dig the first up.

Everything is growing well - it's just a waiting (and watering) game now