Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

jurys still out on the spuds I think they needed lifting earlier for boiling

as for yours first earlys should start to have yellow leaves about now thats why the ones above got lifted

First earlies can be harvested as soon as you can see flowers, by the time the leaves are yellowing the skins are beginning to set and they will have a more floury texture.

I dug up a small potato plant that was self sown by my garage and got 2 perfect new potatoes, it only had one shoot and no flowers so you can harvest earlier than you think with some varieties. :D

We picked a huge carrier bag of broadbeans yesterday, just about the last of the crop.

Over the weekend we have had

Courgettes loads :roll:

strawberries - nearly over now

Raspberries

redcurrants

peas

beans

radishes

lettuce

turnips

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

cherries

I love my garden and allotment :D

Edited to add tomatoes, how could I forget :lol:

If your season starts a month later than down here....do you get a shorter season altogether or does your season finish a month later than ours?

I've found that everything catches up as we have longer daylight hours in the summer :D Sunrise is about 4am at the moment but it getting light before then. Sunset is about 10.15pm but is light long after this. The downside is that the chickens want to free range until nearly 11pm and won't be tempted in the run with corn if there are midges about to be eaten.

as for yours first earlys should start to have yellow leaves about now thats why the ones above got lifted

First earlies can be harvested as soon as you can see flowers, by the time the leaves are yellowing the skins are beginning to set and they will have a more floury texture.

I dug up a small potato plant that was self sown by my garage and got 2 perfect new potatoes, it only had one shoot and no flowers so you can harvest earlier than you think with some varieties. :D

We picked a huge carrier bag of broadbeans yesterday, just about the last of the crop.

Raspberries

redcurrants

peas

beans

radishes

lettuce

turnips

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

cherries

not all of my earlies flower I normall work on 10 to 12 weeks from planting

this one also a new veriety it only got dug up cus it had started to go over was going to dig red duke of york should add I grow 30 odd verieties of moderns plus the same amont of conservation spuds as well

Edited by Guest

Raspberries

redcurrants

peas

beans

radishes

lettuce

turnips

potatoes

carrots

asparagus

cherries

not all of my earlies flower I normall work on 10 to 12 weeks from planting

this one also a new veriety it only got dug up cus it had started to go over was going to dig red duke of york shuol add I grow 30 odd verieties of moderns plus the same amont of conservation spuds as well

I agree, better to pick early than to leave them for the slugs.

3 yellow courgettes and a nearly dead Black Rock ... she would have been had she been in the veggie patch any longer :wink:

Heavens, aren't they quick? I turned my back leaving the gate open for just a minute.

This is my first veggie patch ever ... being a townie all my life and I'm very proud of it.

The little MINX

Blackcurrants - and we have a Splash Orpie that ended up like DA's! Someone managed to negotiate netting and was pigging on the blackcurrants. Funnily enough we only had 4 redcurrants and I'm sure there were quite a few originally. :think: Tell tale signs was the colour of the poo. So that was it - no more blackcurrants for her!!!

Will go and pick more beans later when the oak is shading them more.

Picked my French beans and discovered some runner beans ready to go, so gathered them up too. MIL and FIL paid a short visit and went home quite jealous! :twisted: We have so many calabrese heads ready - in spite of me staggering them, they have all produced more or less at the same time - that I will have to freeze some of them before they bolt.

In the end we had chicken with both sorts of beans, I picked a calabrese (but most of it was eaten raw and it had deliciously sweet stems). New potatoes and I picked one of our onions, chopped and fried in olive oil with a few of our garlic cloves and sungold toms. I had to add a bit of puree for a sauce and added the calabrese water to stop it getting too thick. Oh it was all yum! The only thing not from the garden was the chicken, but OH said that could be arranged. It wasn't a popular suggestion. For dessert we had blackcurrants made into sauce on ice cream (which wasn't home made).

I picked a carrier bag full of peas and that was only the tip of the iceberg, will be back this evening for more. My freezer is already bursting at the seams with all sorts of things from the allotment, it has been a pretty good season so far. :D

I also picked some huge raspberries and radishes, some baby carrots, new potatoes and a lettuce :D

I agree, I've never had such a good harvest of calabrese! Even if I freeze them all, there won't be any room left for other stuff! So I picked a huge head this morning and gave it to my mum. Then she tried to buy more in Waitrose this morning - I made her put it back!