Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

A handbag full of broad beans and purple podded peas :lol:

Popped in to the lottie on my way home from the nursery run and didn't have a carrier bag with me so filled up my handbag instead. I keep finding stray peas at the bottom now :oops:

:D Oops.

OH brought me a nice little trug home with him last week - it's been rather handy. Today we picked an onion, some purple French beans, and an assortment of dwarf ones. Some of which have gone bonkers this year and want to climb - they're not supposed to and didn't do it last year. :roll: A lot of Lazy Housewife beans and an assortment of peas - which looks as though they will not make it to dinner after the gannets have pinched them all as soon as being shelled! Lots of toms.

I saw a teeny butternut squash beginning to form - whoohoo! :dance:

Today we picked..........drum roll please.

Onions 50 Kg without leaves :shock: we have already used loads

Cabbage

Carrots

Parnsips

Curly Kale

Strawberries

Rasberries

Potatoes

Peas

Broad Beans

Do you think we will have enough onions until the summer ones are ready? :think:

Kev.

Edit: forgot the....

Blackcurrants

Courgettes

13.gif

Here you go Kev - all that in spite of what happened - the light at the end of the polytunnel? :wink:

Like it :D

Just for a bit of fun I checked how much 50 Kg of organic onions would cost at Tescopoly.

£114 :shock::shock:

Admittedly I generally wouldn't but that many onions in a year or possibly a lifetime :whistle:

The summer ones will be ready soon too. I might have to try onion wine :lol:

Kev.

OK I'm coming to shop at your lottie - we consume loads of onions. Naughty DD often pinches some raw - ours at the moment are rather hot (I thought the earlies were supposed to be milder) - she ran off fanning her mouth!!!! That'll teach her! Until the next time I chop up an onion I expect - although I have to say she doesn't eat them like apples - yet.

We probably get through at least 300/400 (depending on the size) onions a year - not enough room to grow them all, but what I can get in helps a great deal - bearing in mind those organic prices. :shock:

Just for a bit of fun I checked how much 50 Kg of organic onions would cost at Tescopoly.

....but, did you dare work out how much they've cost you? :lol: - mind you, I don't think they'll work out as expensive as the eggs our hens all produce :lol:

Like Koojie - I'm coming to shop at your allotment :D - we haven't grown enough onions this year.

....but, did you dare work out how much they've cost you? :lol: - mind you, I don't think they'll work out as expensive as the eggs our hens all produce :lol:

Like Koojie - I'm coming to shop at your allotment :D - we haven't grown enough onions this year.

Well the sets were about £3 it took an hour to stuff them in the earth and I spent about 3 hours weeding them since last November. Those 3 hours I would have normally spent at the pub, so money saved there :whistle: and Cathy did the planting so I am still up on the deal. :D

You're right though the saving money thing goes out of the window when you factor in labour costs. But you wouldn't do that with any other hobby would you?

Kev.

DD brought home the tiniest potato from school today as they have managed to sucessfully grow some in their new veg plot in the school grounds. They would have let them grow for longer but they felt it was only fair to get them now as Year 5 are leaving. She said it was the most delicious potato she'd ever tasted.

DD brought home the tiniest potato from school today as they have managed to sucessfully grow some in their new veg plot in the school grounds. They would have let them grow for longer but they felt it was only fair to get them now as Year 5 are leaving. She said it was the most delicious potato she'd ever tasted.

Aaaaaah! :D - I'm glad she enjoyed her lonely potato!

Charlottes are our favourite potato Sarah - the flavour is superb. We have 10 x 40' rows of potatoes and half are Charlottes. Although they are salad potatos we like them for everything and they're great as an 'old' potato as well, they grow big enough to use as Bakers. We don't know if they keep through the winter as we didn't grow as many last year but we will be keeping some this year to see how they get on.

Well done Susan 8)8)

Pulled up a few carrots to give the others a bit more space and they were big, just like shop bought (but MUCH tastier) :D:D First time my carrots have actually amounted to anything. :D

Lots of lettuce, radishes, and broad beans to pick today. Have netted the blueberries as there are loads of developing fruits and the blackbirds are a nightmare for fruit.

Charlottes are our favourite potato Sarah - the flavour is superb. We have 10 x 40' rows of potatoes and half are Charlottes. Although they are salad potatos we like them for everything and they're great as an 'old' potato as well, they grow big enough to use as Bakers. We don't know if they keep through the winter as we didn't grow as many last year but we will be keeping some this year to see how they get on.

Carl has just found out that Charlottes do not make good chips in the Actifry!! :roll:

We picked more peas, beans, tomatoes, cucumber, blackkcurrants, gooseberries, strawberries and raspberries.

Well, I can top that :D .

Wait for it ..................... *drum roll please*

one raspberry

:roll:

awwwww, bless! Bet it was the best raspberry you ever tasted though :D

this was our harvest for today! Thinking of setting up a stall outside the house! :lol:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2945362&l=8ec3b4003f&id=568396756

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2945363&l=f904c6438b&id=568396756

and

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2945927&l=c39ea22a45&id=568396756

Well, I can top that :D .

Wait for it ..................... *drum roll please*

one raspberry

:roll:

I empathise ANH, I think my garden has it's own micro climate. A cold one!

Over the past few weeks, I've had a decent haul of strawberries, a few raspberries at a time, a good supply of salad leaves, 3 courgettes. No beans of any type yet though.