Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

I have just discovered that most of my 12 cauliflower plants are ready, OH and I had half of one big head tonight for our tea with some bacon and courgettes and peas. I will have to freeze some and we may pickle some and add some onions later for mixed pickles.

I have spent all evening weeding at the allotment while OH picked most of the peas a huge bucket full (the sort you get chicken manure pellets in) and we then spent 45 minutes in the garden until 11pm podding them. Have just finished blanching them for the freezer. The peas had suddenly gone from not quite ready to all ready and aging in the heat all in the space of about 3 days :shock:

There is not much freezer space left :roll:

I must check my calabrese too :anxious:

Apart from all the fruit and veg I picked the last of the elderflowers yesterday, for one last batch of cordial. I'm doing the 'leave for 24 hours' recipe - I found it tasted just as good as the 4 day one I made before.

I also picked loads of lavender and sweet peas!

Though eggs are the main and just about the only produce of my once-flowering back garden, I am lucky to have an allotment.

I am amazed at the gorgeous lettuces which have flourished and the perpetual strawberries which have produced the best strawbs I've tasted since 1976 (they are red all the way through).

I shudder to think what my seven plants of courgettes may produce! :roll:

A lot of courgette soup, I'd say!

I picked a cucumber today - may not sound much but I'm very proud! I grew the plants from seed and they are thriving. Last year my plans all fell apart and I didn't get many things in the ground, so I'm very pleased with myself this year. Courgettes should be ready soon, too.

Picked 2 types of peas. DD was shelling the biggest batch and I did the smaller one. I managed to get nearly 6 ounces from mine (not counting the odd munched one) and no sign of moth damage. DD had 4 and a half ounces from hers. Now a couple had a bit of moth damage, but the biggest pest was her! She tried to hide, but I caught her on camera! Now I need OH to bung the piccies on the computer. Those were all blanched and frozen. I also picked about half a dozen climbing beans - really maroon, but quite sweet. Lots more beans from the same dwarf ones - they are really doing well. More runners and the last lot of broad beans.

A nice chunk of Horse Radish to make into a sauce with whipped cream to go with tonight's roast beef dinner.

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss212/christine-sweeney/HorseRaddish-1.jpg

And......

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss212/christine-sweeney/MorelloCherries-1.jpg

http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss212/christine-sweeney/BowlofCherries-1.jpg

Morello Cherries to make into a Black Forest trifle for pud, with the left over 'Death by chocolate' cake I made for OH's birthday.

:drool:

Christine

Just finished a simple supper.

Spare ribs - pork came from friend who's a local organic farmer just up the road (we buy half an animal at a time, unless it's one of his cattle, in which case a box of about 30lb of assorted cuts).

Veg - spring cabbage, broad beans and new potatoes, all from the allotment and steamed. Spuds dressed with chives from the garden and butter.

Pud - wavered over home made strawberry ice cream or strawberry sorbet (using whites from our own eggs, of course), but we ended up settling simply for some bowls of raspberries from the garden.

Am I feeling self-righteous? No, not really; we're not doing it for what anyone else'll think. Am I feeling self-satisfied? Yes, if I'm honest; as we've learnt in the past, the flavour's so much better when the ingredients are this fresh that it's hard not to feel a certain pride.

So we've given up counting food miles for a while and started on food yards.

Over the weekend we have had

new potatoes

carrots

peas

cabbage

courgettes

raspberries

cherries

and best of all

2 huge cauliflowers, it took us about 7 years to manage to grow anything bigger than a florette then another 2 years to grow something to be proud of and now of course I have about 10 ready at once :lol:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/chickencam/2009_0410cauliflower090004.jpg

Just finished a simple supper.

Spare ribs - pork came from friend who's a local organic farmer just up the road (we buy half an animal at a time, unless it's one of his cattle, in which case a box of about 30lb of assorted cuts).

Veg - spring cabbage, broad beans and new potatoes, all from the allotment and steamed. Spuds dressed with chives from the garden and butter.

Pud - wavered over home made strawberry ice cream or strawberry sorbet (using whites from our own eggs, of course), but we ended up settling simply for some bowls of raspberries from the garden.

Am I feeling self-righteous? No, not really; we're not doing it for what anyone else'll think. Am I feeling self-satisfied? Yes, if I'm honest; as we've learnt in the past, the flavour's so much better when the ingredients are this fresh that it's hard not to feel a certain pride.

So we've given up counting food miles for a while and started on food yards.

just translated your quote :lol: Like it!

I thinned out again the beetroots so we had some of the larger thinnings roasted with our sausages and mash for dinner tonight. They were rather tasty :drool: I also made some raspberry jam, but with raspberrys we picked yesterday at a PYO farm. Never been before but we all really enjoyed it.

Oh, and hubby and I 'sampled' a broad bean pod. Just to see if they are big enough. They weren't. So might have to 'sample' them again tomorrow :D