Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

We picked broadbeans and asparagus for a rissotto, I prefer pea and asparagus but our peas won't be ready for a couple of weeks yet by which time the asparagus will be over.

On Tuesday we looked at the strawberries when we watered in the evening and there were a couple just turning, we have had the odd one so far. Then my OH went to get the asparagus and beans yesterday and picked a 2 litre ice cream tub full of ripe strawberries and there were loads more he left for today. They had all ripened in 24 hours :shock::D

A huge pile of green lettuce leaves.

Its the last of the first lot I sowed & overnight became crawling with greenfly :roll:

Thought I would just pick it rather than try to treat it,but it took me 40mins to wash the pile I have & I haven't worked out how on earth I am going to dry it all yet :roll:

Lettuce for supper then :?:roll::lol:

I have a fantastic 70's salad spinner which i picked up in a charity shop quite a few years ago, great for home grown lettuce and for drying beans and peas after blanching and cooling ready for freezing.

It even throws of the few aphids left clinging on after washing, which is good because my family oject if their salad moves around the plate :lol:

I've picked lots of lettuce and some elderflower.

I've got lots of broad beans but not sure what to do with them. They've been picked a few days now so need using. :think:

Lightly boiled or steamed and added to pasta or new potatoes in mayonnaise :drool::drool: Can't wait for mine! Lots of flowers but no pods yet :(

BUT I picked a plant pot full of peas today, from my dwarf kelvedon wonders. They didn't make it to the pan - OH shelled them and we ate them raw. Soooo sweet and yummy 8)

And a few more radishes :D

Spinach which contributed to a fantastic omelette, as well as to a salad - with some freshly picked lettuce... Yummy!

I had forgotten just how good fresh spinach was, and how much more taste a freshly picked lettuce has! Does put the shop bought stuff to shame...

Can't wait for tomato time!

Fresh spinach is delish :D We didn't get around to doing an early sowing this year so i am hoping that some of my later ones will be ok and not bolt this rain will help hopefully.

We have loads of broadbeans, some went i the freezer yesterday and OH and I had an arguement about the best time to pick them. I like them young and tender, he likes them much larger.

Some of our pods are 12 inches long they are by far the best that we have ever grown and the first time that we have succeeded with an autumn sowing which is amazing really after the winter we had and some of them were crushed by snow in March :shock::lol:

We also had loads of new potatoes and strawberries. I keep cooking extra potaoes for potato salad but none of them make it that far then children just hoover them up :lol:

Those wild strawberries are so pretty :D

Yesterday we picked

New potatoes

Broadbeans ( half a council compost bag full one of those square green ones) ate loads for tea and froze the rest. I have finally discovered the best way to cook them, into boiling water and back to the boil for 2 minutes. They go hard if you cook them for longer :D . Some of our pods are over a foot long this year, we have never had such a good crop. :D

Asparagus, lovely thick srems after all the rain :D

Strawberries.

first of the beetroot. Cut in half and roased in the oven with some sea salt and olive oil with new potatoes. Unfortunately not MY new potatoes - first ones are starting to bud, so I'll leave them a couple of weeks longer.

I had a few of the beetroot leaves in the car on the way home. The chickens had the rest. Might have some interesting egg yolks tomorrow !?!

I agree DA - I was going to say have a rootle under the soil and see what you can pull out, leaving the plants still in the soil.

We dug up all the plants in the polygreenhouse as we need the space, they were small a few days ago and really much bigger than we thought they would be when we lifted them all yesterday :shock: