Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

this was our harvest for today! Thinking of setting up a stall outside the house! :lol:

Great photos - did you think a year ago that you'd be showing off a haul like that??? :D

no way! It's self perpetuating though isn't, the more you grow, the more you WANT to grow? We've soooooooooooo got the bug :D

Calabrese, onions, 4 different types of French beans - Lazy Housewife frozen as there were loads and some runner beans again. Lots of toms.

calabrese and lazy houswife? que? :think::D

Calabrese, onions, 4 different types of French beans - Lazy Housewife frozen as there were loads and some runner beans again. Lots of toms.

calabrese and lazy houswife? que? :think::D

calabrese is brocolli - I think its the official name for the stuff they sell in shops, the actual brocolli (so called is a lot more open :? - I think thats right :D )

no idea what lazy housewife is (except me :lol: )

cathy

x

P1020033.jpg

That used to be in the garden! They are huge, so I put a gardening glove against it for you to see.

P1020089.jpg

And here is Lazy Housewife:

P1020041.jpg

Oops did I say Housewife, my bad!

P1020040.jpg

I haven't got a piccy of the actual beans - just leafy bits up a few canes before they started performing at the end of the bed. I gather they are called Lazy Housewife because they are so prolific, that the housewife doesn't have to hunt high and low for them. I think it's the best French bean I have ever grown. It is light green, so easy to spot, and can have huge, almost runner bean sized pods. The flesh is tasty, freezes so well you don't have to blanch it unless you intend to keep it a very long time. I just chop 'em up and pop in a bag and into the freezer straight away (wash first of course). The pods are quite flat. If you would like to try some I can send you some seeds for next year. Last year wasn't very good for seed saving (although the peas were brill - but not so hot this year for me). DD likes eating them raw too.

Okeydokey. These were taken some time in June, so it has grown much more since then.

P1020032.jpg

This is the brassica bed. The cauli's have lighter colouring. I think I may have done a different sort of calabrese too. Behind are the runner beans, but they have been well munched by snails and slugs. The small bed to the left contains the early onions and the upright leaves are some garlic which still has yet to be harvested - it doesn't look ready yet!

P1020034.jpg

Here are the onions close up. We have been harvesting the bigger ones first to give the others a chance. I don't hold much hope for those under the leaves though!

P1020035.jpg

This is the odds and ends bed (or one of them!) with toms - all sorts. Rainbow chard, beetroot, some more onions that I sowed from seed - they seem to be doing quite well at the moment. You can see the last cauli gone to seed (not wasted - the girls munched it all except for the stalk) and the bigger brassicas are sprouts. Ah, there's my old ironing board! :lol:

P1020038.jpg

This is the other side - there are pot marigolds in between, but they aren't in flower on here yet. I also have rhubarb chard in there and lots more seed onions and celeriac. It's full up now! Flowers to the side are valerian and borage - good for bees and butterflies.Any more pics wanted - I have loads?

I cut the biggest leaves off the courgettes so that they are easier to spot and pick -evil things!

We've picked broad beans, french beans, courgettes, beetroot, peas and potatoes - all to go with some slow roast mutton later on.

My hands & arms are still lumpy,red & sore several hours later :twisted:

I also picked more red & white onions today :D