Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

We unearthed a few more new potatoes from the polytunnel and a small cabbage..........small cabbage with 5 snails hiding within :evil:

Last year's celery is about to seed so I picked as much as was useable and made bouquets garnis with lots of herbs wrapped in the cellery and tied with string, they've gone in the freezer.

I made a vinaigrette/salad dressing with olive oil, mustard, honey, white wine vinegar and...MY home grown, flat leaf parsley! :dance:

oh and more rhubarb for schnapps :D

Mine set quite solid last year but tasted wonderful - fingers crossed.....

I rootled out some more new potatoes from the polytunnel - left the plants in - a cabbage and a few peas. The peas didn't even make it out of the polytunnel :D

We are really behind with peas this year, but we do have some flowers coming on one of our first early potato plants :D We also have some strawberries that are quite big and starting to turn pale, they could end up very early, amazing after the slow start we had this year. :shock:

Mmmm that looks delicious! I've picked elderflower heads (from the local graveyard!) to make elderflower champagne (which I've started already) and elderflower cordial, which I'll do tomorrow. Haven't been to my allotment for a few days as we've been away, but it's rained so fingers crossed a minor absence won't have caused any problems.

Aparagus

one radish

and 2 strawberries.

And I really want to dig our first new potatoes, but my meany OH says that I am jumping the gun. :(

They have got flowers on and are Arran Pilot which tend to be pretty early. I will beg tomorrow or Sunday :wink:

I do wonder if they are flowering early as a result of the dry weather, they all look really healthy though.

I dug up a couple of my red duke of yorks to see how they're going - they need two to three more weeks before they're ready really but I've got some perfect small potatoes to have for supper.

Feeling a bit depressed though as my plot is a mess compared to the other allotments! In fairness, it's growing well, but it's being attacked by horse radish and bindweed, and as I can only get down there three times a week what with work and my baby, it's hard to stay on top of it. The total opposite of my garden where every square inch is planned, scrutinised, and any weeds are whipped straight out! I've hacked down the bindweed and horse radish that have been trying to choke my spuds but I know it's only temporary - as soon as the spuds are out, I'll dig the plot up to get rid of the horse radish (didn't know it was there as it was a new plot this year). Wish I had neat lines of veg like everyone else!

Haven't had too much time to post during the last few days, but picked elderflowers and made 2.75 litres of cordial, picked lots of pea sprouts for salads plus baby beetroot leaves and rocket. :) Am going to pick some more elderflowers today for more cordial but want to leave as many heads as possible so I can make some elderberry jam later in the year. (Anyone got a good recipe for that?

My potatoes are doing brilliantly in the potato planter bags from Wilkinsons. 8) The soil is up to the tops of the bags now & the plants are very strong & healthy. So I presume once they flower & the plants wilt - it's time to un earth the spuds?

I also have mystery veg plants growing in what was my veg patch last year. :? Not planted anything there this year - but we cut a tree down & it gets more light now - so stuff has grown well all by itself. Looks like spuds - which will be rooster potatoes & possibly peas & french beans. There should be some horseradish in there somewhere too. I'll just wait & see what grows - as it could all be weeds I suppose, but they do all look like veg plants to me.

The mini pear tree looks healthier than ever in its pot. It's in its 3rd year & we have never had a single pear from it. grrrr.

Emma.x

We're away in Anglesey visiting my Mum at the moment but our strawberries started just as we left - I picked three and ate them.....they are now in the care of my son who doesn't really like strawberries :( I hope he puts some in the fridge for me.

We always rootle out the biggest of our new potatoes, leaving the plant in situ so that the small ones continue growing.

I am growing lettuce in the greenhouse beds and the door has a puppy panel over it so the hens cant get in and trash it. Corgettes nearly ready in there and everything else is romping away. Picked rossi lettuce, rhubarb , chives and flowers yesterday x

Today I have picked chive flowers, lola rosas and green lettuce for salad for lunch tomorrow. Also the mangetout from the garden has now filled a whole tub in the freezer.

Hoping to pick some mint to try and make the mint cordial.

I really want to find somewhere near here where there is elderflower growing to try and make elderflower cordial. :-)

Picked more elderflower and this is the second batch of elderflower cordial (sorry stehaggan :( )

elderflowercordiallabel1.jpg

Am also making elderflower vinegar. As for the veg patch, picked rocket and baby beetroot sprouts. Nothing else quite ready although I think maybe in a day or two some early potatoes might appear on our dinner plate :) Happing Picking everyone and I do hope you find some elderflowers stehaggan.