Cinnamon

What have you picked today?

We had our last couple of tomatoes in a casserole last week, and I defrosted some lovely tomato sauce to have with some meatballs last night, and it was a lovely sweet laste of summer. Worth all that picking and preparation back then. :D

We were only left with about 6 green ones this year, with the warm autumn.

I must go and have another go at my salsify after seeing HFW last night. :D

Thyme and parsley, sage and bay leaves are about the best we have managed over the past couple of weeks. We harvested the last of the decent sprouts for Christmas and because out allotment is a car ride away we haven't been there during the snowy weather, we have been using the last of the previous years carrot crop which were frozen at about this time last year. We have had broad beans and peas from the freezer and leeks.

Have been out digging the beds over - 2 of the new ones from last year - still a bit waterlogged and 2 small beds to go. I think the soil has been helped by the weather this year. Yesterday I dug up a very nice potato and today I have been digging celeriac and found lots of decent onions dotted amongst the chard and celeriac. We're having roast tonight so will add those and make roast veggies. I can see one good sized swede and of all the seeds sown last year we only have the one and a couple of good sized celeriacs. Never mind. Better than none. :D

:lol:

When you posted about digging your patch I thought there's no way I could be doing that; it was still too wet. But we've had 10 days of dryness and now everything is looking just right to get the fork in - but possibly not for planting just yet. We're quite busy for the rest of the month, but come the Easter break... :D

One of our beds is still rather wet - but it was the troublesome new one from last year. It needs a lot of grit, sand and compost mixed in this year. I can't believe I've still got 2 bucket loads of huge flints from there - and lumps of chalk - in about 2 square feet of the bed - the rest is all clay. :roll:

I'll be back

More parsnips and some more artichokes. "Ooops, word censored!"ody light a match in Hook tonight.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has to give out a warning following parsnips for dinner!

Found a few tiny, tiny Bruxelles Sprouts - took a while to prepare but they were very sweet.

Love Arniex

I hadn't noticed any effect from parsnips before - but the chokes, the chokes! :shock: But then OH is prepared to perform with whatever he eats. I must have a cast iron stomach. :lol: The old sprouts can cause a bit of a stir - none left of those because the girls finished them off - rather them than the pesky pigeons.

Our sprouts were lovely and sweet this year - the parsnips are the best ever, ever. Must have been to do with all the frost and snow.

Just picked my first home grown fresh salad,for supper :D

It was a freebie pack of seeds from Lakeland,which I grew in an ancient terracotta trough on my kitchen windowsill.

Not only did it look lovely & grow quickly,but it promises to be delicious :P

I picked some salad leaves including lollo rosso and endives, some chives and basil which I added to a tri-color salad (avocado, mozzarella and tomato). Later I also picked a big bunch of oregano leaves which I added to my pasta bake. Yesterday, I picked some rhubarb (which I grew from seed about 3 or 4 years ago) for a rhubarb and raspberry crumble and foraged some willow branches to make supports (inspired by "The Edible Garden") for my hops, mangetout peas and climbing french beans.

Chatted to my next door neighbour over the fence to offer her some of my surplus tomato plants, and she said my garden is "looking more and more like that TV programme...The Good Life and had I ever seen it?" :D:D:D She must think I am a kid or something...had I ever seen it? I'm actually 48 and grew up in the 70s watching The Good Life every week religiously!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm actually 48 and grew up in the 70s watching The Good Life every week religiously!!! :lol::lol::lol:

I wish I was 48 again, but I just adored The Good Life. There was a rerun a couple of years ago I think and I watched it all over again :D

I have gathered some rhubarb and roasted it and added a flapjack topping ... :drool: Other than that I am really envious of all of you who already have salad leaves ready to eat' Mine are all up, but very tiny.