Ana's flock Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 Since I've been in my new job I've found 4 people from this organisation who keep chickens... Well, it's a large organisation so it's not surprising... however, yesterday, my husband went to meet his reiki group and when he came home he told me he'd been talking 'chickenstuff' most of the evening as one of the ladies there has a few pet hens and he mentioned me and the girls... I can imagine how the other lady would have loved to hear about it! So they talked and talked and yet, when I asked her what types of hen she had, he couldn't remember as he's not familiar with the breeds... all he remembered is that she also has an eglu and a cube... Was he talking about any of you? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 Not me but at work one of our managers keeps chickens and you would not have any idea unless you were told - I was thrilled when I found out Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 Its like a guilty secret, I work with 4 other people who keep chickens. We talk more about our girls than we do about work! Before I and my friend in the office had them, we didn't have a clue about the other 3!!! Now there are several more interested parties!!!!! I'm having a few unofficial hen parties for people to come around and see! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 its catching, one our receptionists now has hens after she heard about mine, now one of the secretaries is thinking about it, and my neighbour got 4 ex bats last week Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
tiggerlady Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 The cashier in the bank was talking to the lady in front about her allotment.When it was my turn I said 'if you have an allotment,you should have chickens too!' OOO I lurve chickens was the reply,so after a quick chat I gave her the Omlet web address! Spread the love,thats what I say! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 OH knows someone in his office whose friends have an Eglu in Kent and swear by it . its a small world Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 Funny,isn't it? I recenlty got back in tough with an old school mate via Facebook, & have jusy found out that she keeps hens too (although she doesn't have as many as me ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sunshine Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 Our neighbours up the track are in the process of getting chickens. Last week their paddock area was strimmed down so they will actually be able to see the chickens rather than the long grass that was there before! Also when i cycled along the canal the other morning there was a house with a green and blue eglu, plus lots of lovely chickens and ducks. I cycled very slowly along that section of the canal! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jlo Posted May 15, 2009 Share Posted May 15, 2009 I was playing golf with a lady the other day and, when I mentioned that I had hens she said, "I mustn't let my daughter talk to you. She wants to get chickens and I have told her that she is mad." Fifteen minutes and several bad mobile phone photos later, she was totally convinced that I was mad. ....but I am still wondering how to get in touch with her daughter!! hee hee Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Janty Posted May 17, 2009 Share Posted May 17, 2009 I went into Jarrolds, our local stationers yesterday and the man behind the counter asked how my girls were and if I could write down the forum website. Hubby thinks it's funny that I manage to get into so many chickeny conversations with people each day. Several parents and staff at school have now got chickens as well. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dancing cloud Posted May 17, 2009 Share Posted May 17, 2009 Word got around at work very quickly about my ex-batts and I found myself in conversations with people I'd never spoken to before, all about chickens in general and ex-batts in particular . It's like they feel safe to "come out" Someone I met through freecycle used to work at a battery farm (and hated it, but needed the money) and was delighted to come and meet my fully-feathered spoiled brats. She's not yet met the heavenlies, but said she cried at the photos of them all pale and bald when they first arrived, and then cried again at the later photos of them free-ranging on the lawn! I don't think I've yet persuaded anyone to own any hens, but everyone that's met mine (and tasted their eggs) has certainly given more thought to their food choices and that can be nothing but good Slowly, slowly, chickens take over the world ... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Helly Welly Posted May 17, 2009 Share Posted May 17, 2009 My GP keeps chickens, we spend half the appointment swapping tips and "how's the chickens?" is te first thing she says instead of "how are you?" Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 18, 2009 Share Posted May 18, 2009 I've converted loads of people over the years, but not at work - they're mostly blokes and resistant to the idea. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
keyhole kate Posted May 18, 2009 Share Posted May 18, 2009 My colleagues tell every new client I have that I am called Chicken Lynn I then have to explain still It gets the word out and let's me talk about the girls I will convert Luton single handed or die trying Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hillfamily Posted May 19, 2009 Share Posted May 19, 2009 secretly i think chicken keepers are taking over the world.......and when we do.....it's going to be a much better place :D I was chatting to the cashier in the supermarket the other day.....she commented on my BHWT shopping bag and we ended up chatting about chooks and how she wants to get some etc.....I pointed her in this direction Even the Alarm Engineer who popped out the other day to sort a problem wanted to know all about them as he wants to get some :D Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted May 19, 2009 Share Posted May 19, 2009 When I took Dippy to the vets yesterday she was one of three chickens booked in for that day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...