wiblick

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 2!

Very scarey!!!

Popped home at lunch to check leaking washing machine and defunct fridgefreezer to find a cavern at the bottom of garden surrounded by sleepers and 3 hunky men 8) well 2 hunky and one lad who needs a good meal.

Late tonight due to loads of problem and work and found drive covered in rubble and more sleepers. Anyway by the looks of it I won't have so many steps to go down to see them. :lol::lol: Just sorting out some progress pictures.

Does everybody put their WIR on top of slabs/concrete? I was going to build one directly on to some ground which is just soil.

Is it to make it easier to clean or to fox proof it? I thought the soil might be better for the girls to dig around in.

PS That's brilliant Lorimer73. :clap:

You'll probably find half of us do and half of us don't :lol: .

Mine is on soil but resting on a rectangle of slabs. I don't have any problems cleaning it out. I don't have a problem with rats or foxes (touch wood). I use Easibed which is wonderful stuff (if you keep it dry) with Stalosan F sprinkled down after a cleanout.

Does everybody put their WIR on top of slabs/concrete? I was going to build one directly on to some ground which is just soil. Is it to make it easier to clean or to fox proof it? I thought the soil might be better for the girls to dig around in.

Setting the WIR on slabs makes it easier to construct the run, as everything is straight and level (assuming your slabs are of course!). In my case I have a completely slabbed floor. I've lost chooks to a fox in the past and the year before I built the WIR I had rats tunnelling into the Omlet run. Rats can easily tunnel under a single slab, make no mistake, the ones I had tunneled the length of the Omlet run :(. Since I've had the WIR there's been zero rat activity inside the run. In fact, I've not seen any signs of them outside the run either, although I did catch two in my compost heap in February this year. With a good layer of Auboise (or similar) on top of the slabs, the girls will be very happy scratching about. Cleaning and clearing out is also very easy of course. You can see pictures of the construction of my slab base and run by clicking here.

Andrew