poachedegg Posted August 27, 2009 Share Posted August 27, 2009 Just bumping this back up again as it is only a couple of weeks away. If you can come, let me know. If you can come and can help by doing something in advance, ie baking or posters, again let me know! I have loads of info from BHWT; a coop and some books from Merrydale; the offer of an eglu from Omlet (I need to chase that one!) Getting eggcited now Good luck with it! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted August 27, 2009 Share Posted August 27, 2009 Good Luck! Sounds like loads of fun! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted August 27, 2009 Share Posted August 27, 2009 Photos of individual hens to match with their eggs. Most people don't realise that hens each have their own 'design' egg and we know who laid each one. Your enthusiasm will shine through and get people interested. Mammoth organisation though - you will need help! When we took ours to church, we had to completely wash the eglu the day before, put it back together for them to sleep in and then next morning dismantle it and take it up to church early with all the treats, food, water and display equipment. Then we came back for the hens. (I'm remembering now that we also had an orchestra rehearsal to fit in which complicated it further. At least you won't have that!) Lovely to have been asked to promote chicken keeping though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted August 27, 2009 Share Posted August 27, 2009 If you can come, let me know. I have something on in the afternoon, but should be able to help out in morning say 9-1 if that would help ? maybe someone else could help out in afternoon ? What time is it on from/to ?? H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicky Posted August 28, 2009 Share Posted August 28, 2009 Good luck with your stall and I hope everythiong goes to plan. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted August 28, 2009 Share Posted August 28, 2009 My girls are also being an attraction at our local produce show 5th September - also to encourage backyard hen keeping. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted August 28, 2009 Share Posted August 28, 2009 Good luck Snowy and TAJ. Wish I was closer Cathy, would love to help out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chook n Boo Mum Posted August 28, 2009 Share Posted August 28, 2009 Sorry I can't help either as I'm even further than Christian I think! Have a great day and I hope it all turns out well. I got asked today to do a talk on chooks at the local hospice where I volunteer on a Friday, they all know I've got them & often ask how the girls are.....will have to get planning for that !! Sha x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 2, 2009 Author Share Posted September 2, 2009 Bump! Just a reminder it is just over a week away now! I think I have pm'd everyone who has offered to help, if I haven't and you want to come along, shout up now! I really am appreciating all the offers of help as I am really busy with work at the moment, there is no way I could've done this if I'd been on my own! You are a wonderful bunch! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
TAJ Posted September 2, 2009 Share Posted September 2, 2009 Bump!Just a reminder it is just over a week away now! I think I have pm'd everyone who has offered to help, if I haven't and you want to come along, shout up now! I really am appreciating all the offers of help as I am really busy with work at the moment, there is no way I could've done this if I'd been on my own! You are a wonderful bunch! Lucky you! I have just over three days - I hope the weather improves before the weekend. Tracy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
rosie Posted September 2, 2009 Share Posted September 2, 2009 Hi, I would like to help. I live in the next village so very local. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted September 2, 2009 Share Posted September 2, 2009 There used to be a game on stalls at fairs and fetes with eggs half buried in sand - most of them just half shells, but a with few 'winning' eggs that were whole. I wonder if Omlet have sent you any of their 'I'm a good egg' badges or such like that could be prizes? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 12, 2009 Author Share Posted September 12, 2009 It's today and the weather is looking glorious! Wish us luck and drop in for cake if you are in the vicinity! St Lukes School field, Thurnby Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Good luck Snowy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chickvic Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Good luck for today! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Good luck Snowy - hope the weather stays good for you. Don't forget to enjoy yourself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
purple hen Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Good Luck and have fun! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Good luck Hope you have a good day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted September 12, 2009 Author Share Posted September 12, 2009 Well I've just got home - and I am shattered! I was helped brilliantly by Hazel, Vivihen, Saronne, Rosie and Fizzle Knit - a very, VERY BIG thank you ladies! At times we stood doing nothing but natter, but most of the time we were very busy. We had pics of our own hens, Did You Know? ... posters; Vivihen did a 'guess how many eggs laid in a year' competition with proceeds to BHWT; we gave away loads of free cake and back copies of practical poultry and gardening mags and I did two hard boiled eggs - 1 battery and 1 free range, plus I cracked two 'fresh' eggs onto a plate - one of my girls laid today, and one bought fresh from Aldi yesterday. People were amazed at the difference! Loads of people asked about keeping chickens and you could tell those that already had chickens - we kept hearing 'oh, CHICKENS!!' and the threee girls I took had loads of attention and treats They were very well behaved, no pecked little fingers although loads were poked at them! I took a tub of chopped cucumber and quite a few children were keen to feed them! A brilliant day - and the weather was perfect, if a little too hot - I think I've got sunstroke! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Well done you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Well done Snowy. Great idea re the egg comparisons. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Sounds like a great day and a big success . Well done . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Leicester_H Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 You're welcome Snowy. Fun but 'hard work' Would be good to do another one - now we know what we're doing !! I feel some wine coming my way soon. H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted September 12, 2009 Share Posted September 12, 2009 Glad it went well We're doing a bit about 'Chickens & Incubation' for open evening at school on Thursday so I've got out a load of photos and books ready, will boil some of Matilda + Theodores eggs and will do some Did You Know?'s like you did - taking in the and some Omlet brochures too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...