Sunshine

Presents for teachers

Any ideas for a teacher's present? My sister is leaving yr 6 at the end of the week and therefore leaving her primary school. She wants to get a present for her class teacher, headteacher and possibly the receptionist. They are all female.

When my sister left last year she did a collage of her year 6 class to give to her teacher, as soon as the teacher saw it she burst into tears!

So any ideas?

We only want to get her something small jut to say thank you. I'm not into the whole competitiveness of giving presents either. My sister has said she wants to give her teacher something a bit different and we have got to have got it sorted by Friday.

We usually go for small token gestures, often something homemade. We have given homemade truffles and scented candles before. My daughter made a CDrom with photos of memories of the class over the year (or 2 in her case as it was a mixed class) - that was sweet, it also make the teacher cry.

We do a combined pressie where every one puts in a donation, usually £5 or so, & one "big" pressie is bought for the teacher. This year we got an afternoon tea voucher at a posh hotel in the Downs. The teacher dissolved..............and hugged everyone in sight :anxious: !

One teacher we got a leather overnight bag....one a case of wine....one vouchers for a sport shop........several have had House of Fraser/John Lewis vouchers to either pamper themselves or buy a frock/accessories for a wedding we knew they were going to............with a bit of detective work you can find out what the teacher would really like.

I have several friends who are teachers & without wishing to sound ungrateful on their behalf they have so many smellies/bottles of wine/boxes of chocs & biscuits they just don't know what to do with them.......we, however, know exactly when to visit :lol::drool::lol:

Sha x

When Jack and Natalie left primary school they made a card adressed to all the staff, teaching and non teaching and I took in a big tin of chocolates. We wanted to thank everyone involved with the running of the school which included the dinner ladies, cleaners, janitor etc.

It's interesting how you bring up this. My sister's a year 3 teacher at the minute and I can't wait to see what 'presents' she's given. At christmas she was given some interesting gifts...including a candle, of which she was hoping would be something much nicer and in chocolate form.

On the other hand her friend who teaches at a school near London got a huge pile of expensive things, like bottles of wine and the like-her pupils are VERY well off!

I'd say go for something middle of the range pricewise, eg a nice plant-then it can live in the classroom and remind the teacher of the child and not too much chocolate based products. Also perhaps something the teacher will use with her classes-we gave our history teacher a book on Elvis as a leaving pressie as that's what one of the coursework projects was based on!

Cheap bottle of plonk - after a hard term we all need it!

Forget choccies, biccies etc even homemade ones. Would YOU want a load of calorie laden goodies right before your holiday????? Christmas is OK as they can be shared with family and friends.

Not that I get anything - pressies in secondary are few and far between. James' teacher will get a bottle of plonk and some home made jam, not even eggs now as they have chickens at school.

I had a rant last year at the competitiveness of parents to provide the most extravagant product. :roll:

Encore Encore :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'm glad all that is years past.

My "little angel" did a photo year book with a little help from me.

We had a photo ( you can do these from sports day/ nativity etc or get one from parents) of every "little angel" accompanied by a little hand written farewell message, personalised for whichever teacher.

We added a few snaps of the teachers taken at the odd school activity through the last year.

This works for whatever your child's age but does need a little planning so maybe too late for this year.

My daughter's teachers were all reduced to blubbing tears.

I also hate this and I'm very relieved that my youngest is finishing year 6 and we will no longer have this particular stress.

DS's teacher is a man with whom we have very little in common. We got him a Christmassy tie at Christmas, but DS forgot to give it to him! :roll: He was very pleased with the box of eggs we gave him for his birthday. I think we will have to be quite impersonal this time, although I want to thank him for the year.

I get lots of presents and I have to say I love each one, it doesn't matter whether it's homemade, shop bought it's the thought that counts.

I will miss them all so much and they are only going up to year 1 !

I still have a treasured plate from a few years back from a little boy who went up to school, he drew me on a plate, now I personally believe I dont look like a blue stick person, but I obviously do to him, and i treasure it still.

edited to add, for my YS leaving year 6 his teachers are each getting a dichoric hand blown glass pendant/or a fancy candel in a glass jar with lid (depending on who he wants to give what to who... (that didn't make sense but you get my drift)

Bogwoppit is moving up into the next room at nursery the week after next so I have been trying to decide what to give as a thank you to the carers in his current room. They are all lovely and have helped him settle in (ok I know it's their job but they really are lovely).

I like the idea of something simple...but there are lots of carers so reckon they'll end up with chocs or biscuits so there are enough to go around :?

A friend's mum was a primary school teacher and loved getting homemade cards from her pupils and little poems etc. :D

I am staggered that teachers are allowed to accept gifts at all. Civil servants are not allowed to accept gifts and I would have thought that teachers fall into the same category, it could be construed as a form of bribery.

With due respect to teachers on the forum, I would have thought a nicely decorated and hand made card from the child concerned would be more than enough :?

We're giving eggs as thank you presents ( again :lol: ) and a hand-knitted chicken egg cosy :D

The thing is, there's the teacher, the classroom assistants, the other reception class teacher, the head teacher.....the list could go on forever.

We give to the teacher & the main classroom assistant only.

I am staggered that teachers are allowed to accept gifts at all. Civil servants are not allowed to accept gifts and I would have thought that teachers fall into the same category, it could be construed as a form of bribery.

With due respect to teachers on the forum, I would have thought a nicely decorated and hand made card from the child concerned would be more than enough :?

whilst I see your point, I don't feel that giving a present when your child leaves could be classed as bribery, they wouldn't be at the school anymore ;)

I would be overjoyed with a hand made card, I had a hand picked bunch of flowers from a little girls garden last year and I kept in and kept it until I just couldn't keep it any longer, still have the ribbon though. :wink:

edited for typo

What about a framed photo of your little darling so they are never forgotten :lol: we also do a collection and will get Brent x vouchers which can be spent anywhere in shopping centre. I'm sure they get loads of grotty gifts like cheap chocs and perfume which smells like toilet cleaner :vom: I'd rather have the eggs if it were me anyday

We send eggs in for everybody...school nurses, class teacher, lady in the school uniform shop that is always saving his bacon when he forgets something. We also send in a big tub of Roses or something for the whole staff to say 'Thank you'. As a teacher, I don't expect anything at the end of term but it's always heart warming when a little thank you arrives, no matter what form it takes.

My most treasured pressie never comes out of the box. I had only been at my current school for a few months when I was badly attacked on my way to work. The Year 8 girls clubbed together and bought me a set of earrings to cheer me up. They really made me smile.

At the end of the school year I must say I usually always give a bottle of wine - I think the teachers probably need it by then :wink::D

We have been giving eggs as well though say at Christmas etc and I know the teachers and assistants really appreciate them.

This year my son's Headteacher is retiring (she made a lovely speech at the YR 6 leavers show saying she decided to retire with the best year 6! :D ) and as we have been attending that school with her as head for 13 years I have sent a bottle of champagne (verve clicquot my fav) in for hopefully a long and healthy retirement. I have also got a lovely card that my DD (21) and ES (18) and YS (11) have written lovely comments in about their time at the school.

I shall be sobbing by the end of the week. :(