laurmurf

BEEHAUS

What happened to the 'Foul Brood' thread?

I suspect that an unacceptable/dubious comment/link has been made which the mods are looking into...it will probably be back soon. This is part of what makes this forum such a happy family-suitable place....if the mods think something is dodgy they deal with it. As has been seen in the past week or two they don't just moderate to stop opinions being shared.......

Sha x

Yes, some good info was there, & things were puttering along nicely, but to pull a single post when it cannot be read by the rest of the Mod/Admin team with the remainder of the corresponding posts is not feasible. The thread needs to be looked at as a whole, & in context.

The thread will return in a short while, but for the time being,please bear with us & be patient :D

I'd like to thank moderators for making sure that upsetting and inappropriate posts are pulled and threads reinstated once they've been 'sorted'. :clap:

It's what makes this forum so much more pleasant than any other: having been insulted on the beekeeping forum in a wholly inappropriate way, and by the site admin no less, I'm only to happy to stick to Omlet from now on where i know that debate can be exciting but never demeaning. :D

I'd like to thank moderators for making sure that upsetting and inappropriate posts are pulled and threads reinstated once they've been 'sorted'. :clap:

It's what makes this forum so much more pleasant than any other: having been insulted on the beekeeping forum in a wholly inappropriate way, and by the site admin no less, I'm only to happy to stick to Omlet from now on where i know that debate can be exciting but never demeaning. :D

I completely agree. It was definitely getting out of hand and off topic.

I don't want to knock any thing new but.The price is wrong.This product is for middle class people who want trendy stuff.If you want a natural hive go for a long bar hive or even a rose hive.Most beekeepers want the national hive for a more intensive way of bee keeping.On a good note it is putting the message out for bees.I can imagine Jamie Oliver buying this.

can i ask - with genuine curiousity - why you joined a forum run by the makers of this beehive whose members are, in the majority, owners of products made by this company and then used a fairly perjorative phrase like "middle class people who want trendy stuff" to describe anyone interested in it?

Is there anything wrong with being middle class? Prejudice runs in all directions - doesn't make it any better, you know.

I am very happy being middle class - I'm not very good at it mind! I don't have a Volvo or 2.4 children, or whatever the current preconceptions are. You can judge me, or anyone else, based on archaic social formulae, but that is more of reflection on yourself than on me.

Is there anything wrong with being middle class? Prejudice runs in all directions - doesn't make it any better, you know.

I am very happy being middle class - I'm not very good at it mind! I don't have a Volvo or 2.4 children, or whatever the current preconceptions are. You can judge me, or anyone else, based on archaic social formulae, but that is more of reflection on yourself than on me.

whoa,sorry for giving a opinion and giving a reflection on my self Lapoule.Well i don't much care for the right on speech.I like omlet although there products are expensive.More for people who earn a good wage.I am working class.I am not anti this and that.Nothing wrong in trendy if you like that sort of thing.Sorry for upsetting your forum.You can get plans online for making bee hives.

Hi folks :D

Mrcluck and I sat down and had a look at the blurb for the beehaus last night. As you know we have kept bees for some while and are members of our local BBKA.

I had read most of the thread and read the last bit to catch up and I thought for what its worth I would add our thoughts.

Im sorry some of you have had negative first impressions of your local group. I think as Lesley said please bear in mind it is probably run in a relaxed way by someone of the older generation. If I remember rightly I think we were 'approched with caution' by some of the older keepers untill they realised we were actualy serious. Luckily for us we knew a member who had bees so it was easyer for us to fit in.

I think you need to go regulary to the once monthly meets and be persistant. Its not easy and you need to learn lots first. Its a dear do to rush in and loose all your bees and heart breaking. You need to be well prepared.

On the subject of the beehaus I would urge you to look at all the hives available before rushing in. I know this may be difficult to get but please try and get some unbiased advice from someone other than Omlet or someone with a closed mind to anything new.

Mrcluck has reservations on first look and the beehaus wont make your beekeeping efforts any easyer than a national or a WBC hive. We havnt seen it in the flesh so it would be unfair for me to start putting it down as Im sure they have done their homework before putting it into production.

Hi folks :D

I know this may be difficult to get but please try and get some unbiased advice from someone other than Omlet or someone with a closed mind to anything new.

Hi

Your "someone with a closed mind to anything new" comment may or may not be directed toward me, but others have mentioned the same in reply to my comments on the Beehaus. So, I'd just like to say that, IMHO, I am NOT anti new anything.

In fact, I was the first beekeeper I know in my association to get one of the (relatively) new Warre hives. I also have WBC's, Langstroths, Dartingtons (wooden Beehaus) as well as my national hives. I'm trialing Nektapol this year (don't know anyone else who is around here), am the only person in my association doing scan wing mophometry to identify racial hybridization of my bees and have imported the American plastic 4.5mm drawn combs to do bee size regression trials at great expense.

The Beehaus is effectively a plastic copy of a Dartington (Robin even consulted for Omlet on their design I understand) I've now used two Dartingtons for a whole season and had experience second hand through a local association and someone who keeps a number of them. So I feel I can have an opinion on some of the pro's and con's of the Beehaus even without seeing one myself. In fact I think I likely have a better idea of it's suitability for purpose than those Eglu owners who think it has to be brilliant simply because Omlet make it (if only beekeeping were that simple) and am not resistant to anything new as has been insinuated before, although of course you are all free to adhere to that misconception if you wish!

The Beehaus is effectively a plastic copy of a Dartington (Robin even consulted for Omlet on their design I understand) I've now used two Dartingtons for a whole season and had experience second hand through a local association and someone who keeps a number of them. So I feel I can have an opinion on some of the pro's and con's of the Beehaus even without seeing one myself.

You maybe interested to read Paul Peacock's post about his Beehaus, as he now owns one and doesn't agree with what you're saying about 'a plastic copy of a dartington'.

I don't want to knock any thing new but.The price is wrong.This product is for middle class people who want trendy stuff.If you want a natural hive go for a long bar hive or even a rose hive.Most beekeepers want the national hive for a more intensive way of bee keeping.On a good note it is putting the message out for bees.I can imagine Jamie Oliver buying this.

I'm not middle class, I just own an eglu, after months of saving and then bought one second hand. I didn't buy it because it was 'trendy', just because it was really easy to clean and a lot lighter than our heavy wooden coop we started out with.

Most beekeepers want the national hive for a more intensive way of bee keeping

Most beekeepers actually use the National Hive as it is the most popular hive in the UK (45%+ of beekeepers use one). As it is so popular, it is easy to buy bits for and also there is a good market for second hand National equipment.

Intensive beekeeping can be performed in pretty much any type of hive, even the WBC!

Intensive can mean different things to different people so "Well managed" might be a better expression to use.

You maybe interested to read Paul Peacock's post about his Beehaus, as he now owns one and doesn't agree with what you're saying about 'a plastic copy of a dartington'.

Nevertheless, it uses the same size frames as a Dartington, has half-size supers like a Dartington, has the same entrance arrangement has a Dartington, has the same long body size as a Dartington - oh yes, and Robin Dartington was the design consultant!

If it quacks like a duck...

Yes but.... Not much detail except he is obviously over the moon with it.

Uses phrases like: frame wood is better than I have been buying

Right, very subjective and only his fault if he has been buying sub-standard frames. No evidence to be objective, better than what quality? Lets be honest, a comment like that could mean it is mediochre, but just better than he's been buying. I am sure he doesn't mean that but as a reviewer it's a bit like saying 'my new BMW is an improvement over the old Lada'

AND although it looks like a Dartington, as far as the bees go it actually works like a National.

I have both Nationals and Dartingtons. It sounds to me that it works very much like a Dartington.

From what I can make out

Thats real confidence of demonstrating a good understanding of the product.

nothing to do with a Dartington at all

Quack, Quack, need I say any more (see above posts).

The gentleman is obviously entusiastic about it, but not a great deal in his posts to actually objectively review it.

I wantto read the evidence that is not a plastic version of a Dartington. Unfortunately, so far there is none at all. I have no problems with that (a plastic Dartington), as my Dartingtons work well enough for me in conjunction with my Nationals. I just don't like unnecessary hype - lets just have some facts, details and some honest answers.

The more I read about it, the more I am convinced it is a plastic Dartington (but one which will do everything and more). Mine are quite adaptable for several alternative methods of use but they are still Dartingtons.

Regards, RAB

Edited by Guest

I'm sure, like every other product, some will like it and some will not. Each is entitled to their view. This is a tolerant family forum where opposing views are respected without trying to " rubbish" the opposition.

So I think it's over the top to infer some type of wrong doing. I've never known people attack each other personally before.

I will be as interested in reading your review of an acutal Beehaus when you've seen one as I have been in reading any one else.

Hi V8landy - I look forward to reading your blog posts. Is your blog already up - if so, do you mind posting the URL so we can have a look?

I am rather taken with the fact that the Beehaus looks to be very well insulated, though I'm not as taken with the looks. On the other hand, it looks considerably better than a National covered in styrofoam :lol:!

I am hoping to go on a course with someone who has a Beehaus, so I can see it in the flesh. In the meantime, the more people who post photos, the better :D