laurmurf

BEEHAUS

By the way, a wanted ad for "as many beehives as I can get hold of, any condition" has appeared on my local FreeCycle. :?:?

I just read my Freecycle emails and found a similar one wanting ' a beehive and any tools surplus to requirements, we want to set up bees on our local allotments'

Nothing to indicate this person is experienced with bees, or has given this any thought at all.

I sent a friendly reply suggesting he contact the local BBKA as a possible source of secondhand equipment and guidance, and saying that I hadn't got into bees yet myself due to the huge amount to learn and plan for, OWTTE....

Hope I did the right thing :anxious:

let's add this to the upset:

Congrats laurmurf

You have just proved what most of the people on here believe about those who would own a beehaus

Please feel free to post some more rubbish so we have plenty more amo to riddicle you and your mates some more

Yours Roy

Wow :shock::shock::shock:

That is super aggressive isn't it :evil: . I think our mods would soon pull or edit a post like that in omletville.

I love the way "Roy" speaks for the most of his forum without their permission. I wonder how happy they really are about him posting something like that on behalf of "most of them", and the fact that it makes them look as if they have nothing better to do than sit around and "riddicle you and your mates".

I truly hope some of his fellow forum members are blushing on behalf of him.

I'll have a big glass of red please...........and are there any orange creams left? :D

We'd set him lines Mostin, until he could spell ridicule :lol:

Can we send your big hubby round to 'have a little chat' with them?

By the way, a wanted ad for "as many beehives as I can get hold of, any condition" has appeared on my local FreeCycle. :?:?

I just read my Freecycle emails and found a similar one wanting ' a beehive and any tools surplus to requirements, we want to set up bees on our local allotments'

Nothing to indicate this person is experienced with bees, or has given this any thought at all.

I sent a friendly reply suggesting he contact the local BBKA as a possible source of secondhand equipment and guidance, and saying that I hadn't got into bees yet myself due to the huge amount to learn and plan for, OWTTE....

Hope I did the right thing :anxious:

Strangely enough we had a similar posting on our local FC too yesterday, but the chap said he'd got rid of all his kit when he moved & since retiring would like to take it up again.

At least he sounded as though he might know what he was getting in to.

It was this morning's "Wanted - air gun" which had me :shock:

Sha x

let's add this to the upset:

Congrats laurmurf

You have just proved what most of the people on here believe about those who would own a beehaus

Please feel free to post some more rubbish so we have plenty more amo to riddicle you and your mates some more

Yours Roy

Wow :shock::shock::shock:

That is super aggressive isn't it :evil: . I think our mods would soon pull or edit a post like that in omletville.

I love the way "Roy" speaks for the most of his forum without their permission. I wonder how happy they really are about him posting something like that on behalf of "most of them", and the fact that it makes them look as if they have nothing better to do than sit around and "riddicle you and your mates".

I truly hope some of his fellow forum members are blushing on behalf of him.

I'll have a big glass of red please...........and are there any orange creams left? :D

We'd set him lines Mostin, until he could spell ridicule :lol:

Can we send your big hubby round to 'have a little chat' with them?

It's funny you should say that Claret,

when he saw what they had written to Laurmurf it was all I could do to stop him logging on to their forum and being so anti-bee they would probably have had apoplexy :oops::roll: .

I didn't want to fan the flames, so calmed him down though. He goes on a lot of forums where it seems to me some blokes are just looking for a good argument :roll: , but he was really appalled at the treatment of a newbie on another forum, especially another animal forum which he assumed would be as friendly as omlet.

Never mind bees..... seems that 'Roy' has been chewing a few wasps :!:

I wanted to read more posts to see if overall the views were more balanced but given that I had to join the forum to do that I decided not to bother. They can keep their sarcasm and narrow mindedness :notalk: and I'll stick to posting amongst Omleteers.......... definately a nicer and more friendlier bunch imo :D

Any coconut chocs left?

mumbles...sorry smanners...I ate the last coconut ones... but have you tried the truffles? divine!

I've calmed down (a bit :oops: ) and it's made me question myself about the bee keeping. I didn't realise, when i got chooks, how much I'd rely on other people for advice and guidance when things do awry. I think that would be even more likely with bees - particularly in securing a mentor.

I'm going to try - again - to contact my local BKA and if not them then get back in touch with Church Fenton BKA (i met the chap at the Yorkshire Show). I'll talk to them about beekeeping and talk about the beehaus. I'll gauge their willingness to support someone who may be using kit they aren't familiar with, or even initially approve of. If I get 'flamed' again then I think I'm going to have to give up - I can't go it alone.

How rude! Some people, I suppose something similar happened on P.P and RC when the eglu and cubes came out, but look where we are now :D

Hopefully the BKA will be more helpful :)

Oh yes! it happened Lewis, in a big way.......and it still goes on. We just tend to ignore all the snide, personal comments about Eglus and Cubes now as it proved impossible to cure the ignorance of people who not only had absolutely no knowledge of either Eglu or Cube but also felt the need to resort to personal comments against the owners - something that doesn't happen with any other type of hen housing.....regardless of how poor or unsuitable it might be...........convert a plastic tool cupboard and you'll be hailed a hero :roll::roll:

I've had my say on the other forum........been mostly ignored, because all they want to do is make snide comments about the lifestyle of any proposed beehaus owner rather than realise that any potential newbies are going to need help and mentoring. They would rather criticise from their ivory towers than work out that there will be an influx of newbies requiring the courses that they think are going to be ignored and the few in each association who normally set these courses are going to need more help than they usually get to run them.........regardless of which type of beehive people are going to buy.

As with the Eglu, I'll step back and just observe, I don't like being flamed each time I dare post and they are too short sighted to see that they will either put people off from ever keeping bees or drive people to try and do it by reading a book :(

It will all settle down eventually but some memories are long and comments made now are damaging to beekeeping as a whole :(

Such shame how personal this has got - I agree with Lesley

all they want to do is make snide comments about the lifestyle of any proposed beehaus owner rather than realise that any potential newbies are going to need help and mentoring. They would rather criticise from their ivory towers than work out that there will be an influx of newbies requiring the courses that they think are going to be ignored and the few in each association who normally set these courses are going to need more help than they usually get to run them.........regardless of which type of beehive people are going to buy.

I was going to have a look at their site as I would like bees one day - after I have done a lot of research and made sure I know what I am doing (or at least have a very good idea), but it's put me right off. Hopefully our bee forum will go from strength to strength and will welcome all comers, just like owners of chickens who live in wooden housing are equally welcome to the chicken forum.

mumbles...sorry smanners...I ate the last coconut ones... but have you tried the truffles? divine!

I've calmed down (a bit :oops: ) and it's made me question myself about the bee keeping. I didn't realise, when i got chooks, how much I'd rely on other people for advice and guidance when things do awry. I think that would be even more likely with bees - particularly in securing a mentor.

I'm going to try - again - to contact my local BKA and if not them then get back in touch with Church Fenton BKA (i met the chap at the Yorkshire Show). I'll talk to them about beekeeping and talk about the beehaus. I'll gauge their willingness to support someone who may be using kit they aren't familiar with, or even initially approve of. If I get 'flamed' again then I think I'm going to have to give up - I can't go it alone.

Hi laurie, i post on a couple of beekeeping forums since getitng bees, and despite asking questions and doing things wrong, have never been replied to as rudely as that. People are more abrupt with opinions and advice than here, admittedly, but no offence is meant in the vast majority of cases.

Honestly, you will find that most beekeepers are perfectly freindly, even when it comes to hive types that they don't have/don't use. Few would recommend the type of hive I have (it's relatively small), for example: but every beek does it differently, so your "new" or "different" hive will be no more peculiar than someone elses' way fo doing things. Am sure they'll say that they don't know enough about the Beehaus to recommend or otherwise. But please don't take offence at that.

And can I also add: naked beekeepers? bleurgh! :lol:

They would rather criticise from their ivory towers than work out that there will be an influx of newbies requiring the courses that they think are going to be ignored and the few in each association who normally set these courses are going to need more help than they usually get to run them.........regardless of which type of beehive people are going to buy.

.........as is the norm, those who do the most (training/mentoring etc) get the least help and those who do the least shout the loudest........... :(

Sha x

Oh dear. I remember this sort of gubbins on practical poultry a few years back. Try not to let it annoy you (it annoys me) and just find the advice that you need without posting if need be. I did that a fair amount on the other forum before I decided I knew everything ;)

Conversely, this is making me keener. But I think I'll move and give birth first.

I don't know what to say Laurie except that people are always wary - or even resistant - of change.

Quite so. And beekeepers often tend to be rather conservative and resistant to change - sometimes with good reason - but when someone has been doing something the same way for 10, 20 or 30 years and has invested a great deal of time and quite a bit of money, it is likely to take something pretty major to shift them.

Beekeeping has been carried out in framed hives using wax foundation for well over 100 years, so even the oldest beekeeper you can find is likely to have been brought up doing it this way and most know no other way.

So even when bees start to suffer from widespread disease problems, CCD and invasive, parasitic mites, they tend to reach for whatever medications are handed out by the likes of Bayer in the hope that - bar a 'treatment' or two - they can go on doing things in the same old, familiar way.

So when someone comes along with a new hive design, as happens - it seems - on a weekly basis - it is hardly surprising that skepticism is their initial response, followed by ridicule.

Personally, I have issues with the fundamental design of this hive, as it is based on one (made from wood) that does not have a particularly good track record. We tried to run one for years in our local association apiary and I don't think we ever had a decent honey crop from it, and I think twice the bees absconded or died out - and it was being managed by some very experienced beekeepers. The designer himself admitted to 50% losses in his own (wooden) hives last season.

I also have issues with building hives (or anything) using unnatural, unsustainable materials, and I think that is a point that is fair to raise.

However, I completely agree that ad hominem attacks are out of order, and that we should be able to discuss the pros and cons of a product without resorting to insults.

Edited by Guest

As someone who has only taken up beekeeping this year, I welcome any innovation which will aid the future protection of honeybees. :D

I would like to see a Beehaus for myself, "in the flesh", before passing any judgements (the purple one does look lovely though :drool: ). I do know our association is sceptical of plastic hives in general, due to condensation issues, which is a valid point. But I like to remain openminded about everything and would very much like to see what Omlet have done to circumvent this problem and addressed other criticisms levelled at them.

If I'd listened to snide comments about "yuppie" hen houses, I would never have got my first eglu, which I loved. Whilst all my friends who keep hens in wooden coops are constantly battling red mite and lice infestations, I have never had any issues in well over 2 years, so I consider the eglu/cube very good value for money!

The Beehaus is a little pricy, as I bought my self-assembly cedar National hive, complete with 2 supers, queen excluder and all the frames plus the basic suit/gloves/smoker/tool kit for a very reasonable £175 from a well known beekeeping supplier. However, I appreciate that, in theory anyway, the Beehaus may ultimately outlive me! :lol:

Re selling bees - I got seven frames of bees from my apiary manager, who told me off for giving him too much (£50). He puts half of the cash back into association funds and half goes to the "Bees Abroad" charity. I think that was very good value, when I've seen 3 frames advertised for in excess of £100.

I will follow this thread with interest and look forward to updates from people who go ahead and get a Beehaus. :D

Having now seen the beehaus on the internet and things it looks quite good and well thought through. Especially as the frames are of a standard size and are made from wood, so if necessary can be burnt if an infestation occurs, as mentioned by others previously.

I do have concerns with the, what seems to be elastic, straps that secure the roof bit on, as it bad weather, over a few years I'm not sure how long they'd last. It does look like a genuinely good product and anything that encourages new beekeepers has to be good, as without bees and pollinators we would die, as would most other animals.

I think I'd really like to see a proper one now, so I can fiddle with it. I'm not going to keep bees though, even though I like the product as it's just not practical. I'm also glad the launch seems to have run smoothly for Omlet, unlike the spoilers for the cube, which meant the cube came out early and caused lots of disruption and there were then some unhappy customers.

Also, you say condensation is an issue with plastic hives, surely this will be less with the Beehaus than in others due to the double walled plastic?

It will be a good test of the design. Bees give off quite a lot of moisture as they keep themselves warm in the winter, and this inevitably condenses on the inside of the roof near the ventilation gaps.

In some hives the cold water will drip down onto the bees, chilling them to the point where they die. In many wooden hives, the wood absorbs a certain amount of moisture, and the remainder trickles down the sides and out of the base.

The Beehaus can't absorb any water, so I imagine that the curved roof is intended to direct the condensation down the sides and out through the wire mesh base.

The Beehaus can't absorb any water, so I imagine that the curved roof is intended to direct the condensation down the sides and out through the wire mesh base.

Is it possible to curve the roof and maintain a bee gap? I imagine the curve must be front to back, but would that mean the floor is curved too?

It does look like a genuinely good product and anything that encourages new beekeepers has to be good, as without bees and pollinators we would die, as would most other animals.

Sorry if I seem pedantic, but while bees were here for millions of years before we were and pollination does suffer when bee populations drop, the "we'll all die four years after the bees become extinct" quote often attributed to Einstein is an urban myth; he never said it, regardless of how often the media quote it.

Yes, some crop production will drop off in the absence of honey bees, most noticeably where man has created monocultured landscapes, and others will become more expensive as productivity drops, but as a race we are NOT dependant upon the existence of the honey bee.

It does look like a genuinely good product and anything that encourages new beekeepers has to be good, as without bees and pollinators we would die, as would most other animals.

Sorry if I seem pedantic, but while bees were here for millions of years before we were and pollination does suffer when bee populations drop, the "we'll all die four years after the bees become extinct" quote often attributed to Einstein is an urban myth; he never said it, regardless of how often the media quote it.

It is not a myth...the point is true, bees are our main pollinators and so we rely on pollination of flowers and things to produce fruit and crops. Unless you'd rather be eating sweetcorn all your life?

Is it possible to curve the roof and maintain a bee gap? I imagine the curve must be front to back, but would that mean the floor is curved too?

If you look at this diagram http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Bees&about=hives%20explained you'll see what I mean. The crown boards seem to be flat, which answers the question about bee space, and I can't see how they're ventilated, but the roof space is concave.

The roof space is presumably similar in volume to that in a conventional wooden hive.