laurmurf

BEEHAUS

:oops:

I read the earlier post wrong.

Instead of spoiler as in ruining the surprise, I read it as spoiler as in a car spoiler.

:lol:

...to be fitted with discreet blue LED lights on the underside? And attached after the cube has received a respray in an iridescent green? Pink leopardskin roosting bars and a particularly loud stero (albeit with more tweeters than woofers)? Available for any chickens called Kevin?

Wikkid.

:wink:

:oops:

I read the earlier post wrong.

Instead of spoiler as in ruining the surprise, I read it as spoiler as in a car spoiler.

:lol:

...to be fitted with discreet blue LED lights on the underside? And attached after the cube has received a respray in an iridescent green? Pink leopardskin roosting bars and a particularly loud stero (albeit with more tweeters than woofers)? Available for any chickens called Kevin?

Wikkid.

:wink:

Me too Janty!! ...are peckablock dice included in this scenario............... :roll: !

Sha x

I'm really pleased, and grateful, that the Beekeeprs have joined the forum and have been adding notes of caution. I'm really pleased that they've taken the time time to register here.

It's very easy to paint beekeeping as something relatively trouble free, just as it's easy to paint chickenkeeping as easy. I remember a lot of chatter on here about the number of people who were jumping on the chicken-keeping bandwagon and concerns that there would be a lot of hens up for rehoming a few months later.

And when the Chicubes were launched, it was natural for Eglu-lovers to look for reasons for them to be inferior to our beloved products.

We've seen situations where people have rushed into incubating eggs on a whirl of enthusiasm, and then too late start asking for advice on what to do and how to do etc.

I'm not criticising, just pointing out that it all comes from being passionate about a subject, and caring that things are not undertaken lightly.

We know that (most of?) the people on here who are seriously looking at the Beehaus are people who've been looking into beekeeping for some time... but the people on the other forum don't know that.

We need a little icon for our bees don't we? :lol:

I started beekeeping with my first swarm in situ this May and have buddied up with a friend to keep a hive on a local allotment. We were planning to keep them in the garden, but we both have small children and so decided that for the first year, until we decided if it was something we really wanted to do long term, and also to be able to properly weigh up the risks of keeping them in the garden, then we'd keep them elsewhere. (And having kept them for a few months now, am almost certain that I would NOT want a hive in the garden - even if I could manage to fence it off to keep the children and hens out, our hive is currently being divebombed by wasps!

If you are interested in keeping bees it is often worth contacting your local allotment association - most actively welcome bees as they help pollinate everyone's fruit and veggies and they can put you in touch with an allotmenteer willing to give you a bit of space in return for the traditional annual rent of a jar of honey :P

We joined our local branch of the BBKA (Warwick and Leamington) and did the beekeeping practitioner course. We've been really well supported and in fact with hindsight there is no way we could have managed on our own, unlike with chickens. If you make a few mistakes with your hens, the worst that could happen is that your hen dies. (Not making light of hens dying) but with bees, they could swarm off and hurt someone (I got stung on the eyelid last month, not nice :vom: ) or spread disease - so you do really need to know what you're doing.

I'm really looking forward to having a look at the Beehaus and since we've got an Eglu, would probably be predisposed to buy one. However I would have my concerns about security up at the allotment - as it would be fair game for thieves, easy to steal and to start with there would be a premium on these.

I do have some reservations - a visit from the Bee Inspector brought home that disease management really is important for bees - but I would also be interested to know whether it is compatible with readily available disposable/ replaceable items like frames - and whether it is as flexible as a normal hive, for example, if you needed to add on an extra super could you do that?

In addition, being aware of how much is involved in keeping bees, people would really need some training before starting to keep bees, unless Omlet is planning to give people bee lessons like we all get our chicken lesson? However my course was weeks long!! Can local associations keep up with the demand for training and support if beekeeping really taks off big style? Otherwise, you are targeting existing beekeepers who might be reluctant to swap if they've already shelled out for a cedar hive which is meant to outlast its owner!! So what ?is the demand really going to be like for the Beehuas>

I'd quite happily try one out and give you some honest feedback guys, just a short trip down to Banbury for me :D:wink:

I mentioned a few pages earlier about people needing to take a course so they know everything they can do about beekeeping before even being allowed to get bees. Didn't feel it was a liked suggestion :(

:D The topic may have gone off track a bit at that stage, it happens sometimes.

But, reading through, I think everyone here is agreed that beekeeping can't be undertaken lightly, and that it's essential to learn about it properly beforehand and if possible make contact with local beekeepers.

So, your post may have been overlooked, but it was a good suggestion! Personally I'm not keen on compulsory, but I see your point. :D

All the posts on this topic have given us a lot to think about, thank you.

:D The topic may have gone off track a bit at that stage, it happens sometimes.

But, reading through, I think everyone here is agreed that beekeeping can't be undertaken lightly, and that it's essential to learn about it properly beforehand and if possible make contact with local beekeepers.

I think that is whay happened as well - most of the beekeepers on here have done a course or linked up with the local Associations.

We started with Warwick and Leamington Assoc. but weren't allocated a mentor as we live nearer to Stratford. We're now with the Stratford group but they seem to think we're in the middle of nowhere :roll: so we don't always get anyone to come and help :roll: We did the introductory course with both, two years running.

We also have a big - and I mean BIG!!! - problem with wasps at the moment and I'm glad we have enough room to be able to keep away from them :evil:

I know it won't sort your wasp problem Lesley, but I was told to put a jar of sticky water with holes in it's lid as a wasp trap in front of the hive entrance...yes, in front of the entrance, the wasps can't resist and the bees don't seem to bother with it.......may need to be a big jar as you have a big problem Lesley :wink:

Sha x

We also have a big - and I mean BIG!!! - problem with wasps at the moment and I'm glad we have enough room to be able to keep away from them :evil:

We have wasps too - we have been queenless (and therefore honeyless) all summer (and it seems to be very common this summer for some reason?) and are midway through combining our dwindling queenless lot with some bees our mentor has very kindly given us using the paper method..but who now also turn out to be queenless :wall: (however couple of queen cells so fingers crossed). The hive is being divebombed constantly by huge numbers of wasps, despite the lack of honey my bees do have some sugar syrup stores, and whilst it is an amazing sight to see wasps being bodily picked up by smaller bees and unceremoniously dumped out of the hive after a quick rumble on the hive roof :clap: , it is also a pain that they're not afraid of smoke and makes opening hte hive a bit of an unknown quantity!! :doh:

(Oh I am loving these smileys-for-everything)

Thanks for the tip Wild Mum, might have to give that one a go!!

I'd suggest that reducing the size of the entrance to the hive is vital if you're struggling with robbing, by wasps or anything else. That way the bees have a smaller entrance to defend, so it gives them a bit of an advantage!

Chuckov: I totally agree with you! Hives in gardens are a tricky idea, personally I don't think that any new beek with neighbours should consider it. After all it is seldom the only option. If the hive isn't in the garden then there is a huge advantage in it looking like a knackered old box (I have wooden hives which were made from 1930's -1950's - they aren't pretty but do the job and don't attract unwanted attention!). But, there may be other unique advantages to the Beehaus.