laurmurf

BEEHAUS

I did post yesterday - and was studiuosly ignored for a long time - and then only facetious comments were made.

If long-standing beekeepers could put their energies into welcoming new or would-be keepers, helping to ensure that there are enough spaces on courses and offering to mentor people rather than into shouting about possible disasters caused by new keepers then the whole community would be in a better position to work together to stop the decline in bee population.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

It's a shame that they can't all be open-minded and willling to share their considerable knowledge. :?

If I had the space (and time) I'd certainly want to keep bees.

I think we're spoiled because our experience of this forum leads us to expect respect and support- hence you can ask the most stupid question and feel safe. I think that's down to the excellent moderation so thank you, mods. The downside is that we expect the same level of courtesy from other fora and sometimes, they don't have the same level of maturity.

I think we're spoiled because our experience of this forum leads us to expect respect and support- hence you can ask the most stupid question and feel safe. I think that's down to the excellent moderation so thank you, mods. The downside is that we expect the same level of courtesy from other fora and sometimes, they don't have the same level of maturity.

Here here :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

We have the best mods, and the nicest forum. Long live omletville and the fact that I can never ask a stupid question :D .

I couldn't agree more. Since becoming a member here I have dropped other fora as they just don't compare.

Maybe we are spoiled, but this is how it should be - we don't generally suffer from sarcasm, dismissive comments or trolls thanks to our wonderful moderators and the attitude of our members. Everyone is a beginner at some point, we remember and respect that, it is sad that members of other fora can't.

Can we all move to Omletville please? It would be the best place in the world! 8)

As a beekeeper and eglu owner, I have been following the 'beehaus debates' with interest. I posted my opinions on the beekeeping forum (http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1860&page=15).

However, I think I should just stick up for them a little, as in general their forum is as accepting of newbees and as free with advice as the Omlet forums. I have rarely had to post on either forum because the answers are almost always there and I have been consistently impressed with how free and open people are with advice when you know they have probably been asked the same question a hundred times before.

If I were to be honest, I think the Omlet forum is probably a little friendlier, but please don't write off a whole source of information and opinions based on the kneejerk reactions of a few people. It's worth remembering that, like the members of this forum, they are also passionate about their hobby (and some are eglu owbers too) and really concerned about people becoming involved in beekeeping on a whim and coming to regret it. From my experiences of this forum, I doubt many members here would be in that camp, but I do think some of the media coverage hasn't helped too much.

I don't think anybody (particularly me) was suggesting writing it off - I absolutely recognise the extent of my own knowledge (virtually zero) and the wealth of experience on that beekeeping forum.

However, when I first got my hive & swarm (only 2 months ago after doing a course for 2.5 months followed by apiary visits) I registered. But after reading a few rather powerful responses to what admittedly might have been idiotic questions (not mine on this occasion)I was 100% put off. Do I want to share my inadequacies with people who make me feel even more inadequate? No, I want to learn from somebody who tells me, constructively, what I should be doing better. My sense of deeply felt almost-rage is nothing to do with the Beehaus and everything to do with 'tone'.

In their defence however, I am very pleased to see a lot more balanced responses posted yesterday and today.

And I think I must stop posting here - I'm turning into Colonel Annoyed of Tunbridge Wells.... :D

I think they've read more into my, and others', posts than is actually there. The beekeeping forum's mod wrote:

Am I being over sensative ?

Or do we seem to have many new members the last 24 hours who make a single post that looks like a spam advert for Omlet ?

Those of you who know me from this forum will know that I don't have any connection to Omlet (hold on.... that applies to all of us, doesn't it? :think: ) so when I posted it was to share the information we were getting on this forum with them and seeking comments rather than post any spam :shock: .

When we do this here we assume we'll get helpful, useful, friendly (and sometimes hilarious :D ) replies. I think that was my naive mistake in posting there for the first time in the middle of a 'poo storm' as far as they're concerned. I feel a bit embarassed to say that it really did upset me :oops:

let's add this to the upset:

Congrats laurmurf

You have just proved what most of the people on here believe about those who would own a beehaus

Please feel free to post some more rubbish so we have plenty more amo to riddicle you and your mates some more

Yours Roy

Edited by Guest

I wanted to have a look at their forum for myself, but it won't let you in unless you register, unlike here, where you can lurk as much as you like and benefit from everyone's generosity in sharing their knowledge, and I didn't suddenly want to be another newbee jumping on the bandwagon :(

I am sure there are plenty of lovely people on there, but sometimes people get carried away online. :oops:

I thought it was very good that the lead on all the articles on tv etc was about supporting the declining populations of bees and it's important that this message doesn't get lost, the beehaus was produced in conjunction with a respected bee organisation and not on a whim to fill a gap in the market!

I'd love to join you in a G & T too, cheers! :D

honestly :roll: afraid that just confirms why this is the ONLY forum I post on!

I wouldn't be too upset being told off by someone who can't spell 'ridicule' though .. :lol:

How rude. It is a great source of info but I am only ever going to lurk on there, unfortunately some people just use internet forums as a means of making themselves feel big and clever by insulting others. As said above, don't be put off - the people in my local beekeeping group are really friendly (and most of them don't use the interweb!).

I've just been given a big box of chocs at work, I'll pass them round so you can all have one. You don't get that on a beekeeping forum!

I have a bottle of elderflower champers open if you fancy a glass.

Busy transferring all of them into plastic bottles. There seems to be one small glass bottle spare ... ho hum ...Cheers :wink:

By the way, a wanted ad for "as many beehives as I can get hold of, any condition" has appeared on my local FreeCycle. :?:?

oops had to edit a typo. It's not the drink really :roll::roll:

I've just been given a big box of chocs at work, I'll pass them round so you can all have one.

Have I arrived too late? are there only coffee ones left?

Laurie, perhaps youu should point out that a lurker is someone who reads a forum at length without joining?? :lol:

Edited by Guest

And if you're cooking with it, Simon, it's essential to make sure it's ok... :wink:

Cheers!

Laurie, perhaps youu should pount out that a lurker is someone who reads a forum at length without joining?? :lol:

Very true. And anyway, it's pretty hard to do on that forum - it turfs you out unless you register after reading a certain number of posts, so Laurie would have had little chance to gauge the mood before registering and posting.

I'm sure most beeks aren't like that in RL, but that was just rude.

And the spelling was LOUSY! :lol:

let's add this to the upset:

Congrats laurmurf

You have just proved what most of the people on here believe about those who would own a beehaus

Please feel free to post some more rubbish so we have plenty more amo to riddicle you and your mates some more

Yours Roy

Wow :shock::shock::shock:

That is super aggressive isn't it :evil: . I think our mods would soon pull or edit a post like that in omletville.

I love the way "Roy" speaks for the most of his forum without their permission. I wonder how happy they really are about him posting something like that on behalf of "most of them", and the fact that it makes them look as if they have nothing better to do than sit around and "riddicle you and your mates".

I truly hope some of his fellow forum members are blushing on behalf of him.

I'll have a big glass of red please...........and are there any orange creams left? :D

There's a very simple rule that should be applied to most online interaction:

Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.

Obviously, some people really are rude, or insensitive, but a lot of people online hide behind the anonymity. In fact, I think it's better to be nicer online than in person (I'm such a cow in real life :lol::lol::lol:) because it's much easier to misunderstand what people really mean when the interaction is written rather than verbal.

For laurmurf, or anyone else who has been flamed, I think it best to try and imagine the culprit, naked, locked out of their house :lol::lol::lol: . Isn't there a scene like that in Desperate Housewives?