laurmurf

BEEHAUS

Christian,

NO more personal attacks please.

Sorry. Didn't realise it was a personal attack. Was only enquiring ........

rather than knocking his.

Sorry again. All I am trying to do is get some real answers to the question of what it does, and how does it operate. I am sure the guide will be adequate to see whether it is operated like a National (with the other half used for a second colony, maybe) or on similar lines to the Dartington.

When/if you have one, then please share your observations

I am unlikely to buy one 'blind', so as to speak. I already have two Dartingtons which I use and quite like. I would need a strong case before trying one especially if it is insignificantly different to my Dartingtons. I did raise several points with the poster and obviously no answers are forthcoming.

I have tried WBCs, Standard Nationals (single brood and a brood-and-a-half), Jumbo Nationals and Dartingtons. The former two I have 'discarded', the latter two are in use at present.

I do look forward to seeing one sometime or even to read the guide. That would be enlightening.

Question: Are the beekeeping guides available separately?

Regards, RAB

Please email Johannes@omlet.co.uk or James@omlet.co.uk for answers RAB. They have been using the product for a while and might be able to assist you.

Thanks. Sure will. Trying to get one simple answer on the forum is often like trying to get the proverbial blood out of the proverbial stone!

Am I allowed to report back my findings?

Regards, RAB

I don't want to knock any thing new but.The price is wrong.This product is for middle class people who want trendy stuff.If you want a natural hive go for a long bar hive or even a rose hive.Most beekeepers want the national hive for a more intensive way of bee keeping.On a good note it is putting the message out for bees.I can imagine Jamie Oliver buying this.

I'm not middle class, I just own an eglu, after months of saving and then bought one second hand. I didn't buy it because it was 'trendy', just because it was really easy to clean and a lot lighter than our heavy wooden coop we started out with.

Hello,It is a bit of a worry that a new product is already sold second hand.All the same i hope you have a good experience with it.Any way i think i was talking about the beehouse.The beehouse can not be cleaned the traditional way with a blow torch.Although it is well made.I will try and keep a open mind on this product.

I don't want to knock any thing new but.The price is wrong.This product is for middle class people who want trendy stuff.If you want a natural hive go for a long bar hive or even a rose hive.Most beekeepers want the national hive for a more intensive way of bee keeping.On a good note it is putting the message out for bees.I can imagine Jamie Oliver buying this.

I'm not middle class, I just own an eglu, after months of saving and then bought one second hand. I didn't buy it because it was 'trendy', just because it was really easy to clean and a lot lighter than our heavy wooden coop we started out with.

Hello,It is a bit of a worry that a new product is already sold second hand.All the same i hope you have a good experience with it.Any way i think i was talking about the beehouse.The beehouse can not be cleaned the traditional way with a blow torch.Although it is well made.I will try and keep a open mind on this product.

Don't be worried Jackdaw :wink: , the eglu and the cube hold their prices well. Most eglus are sold because their owners are "upgrading" to a cube as they find the product works so well they want to increase their flock.

Beehaus: In response to the mis-information (IMO) appearing re this new item, and being directed to Johannes and James by Christian, I listed/worded my questions carefully and sent them winging across the internet..

I presented a list of ten questions to try to sort out the real facts from the notions circulating.

I am now very happy to find that, after my enquiry had been passed to Robin Dartington, he has confirmed by email to me that it is basically a Dartington hive design in plastic.

I am a Dartington hive fan, so I can now look forward to comparisons between the wooden Dartinginton and the plastic Beehaus.

Regards, RAB

i think this "BEEHAUS" thing is a good idea in the recession, because honey

1.lasts a long time,

2.it can sell for alot of money !beehaus white!!beehaus yellow!!beehaus red!!beehaus purple!!beehaus orange!!bee! i vote BEEHAUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy an awful lot of honey for the cost of a Beehaus; I'm not sure there is a convincing argument to be made that the Beehaus offers value for money in a recession compared to other hive types.

Mod. hat on; just edited the topic. Hope all who posted will understand that this is intended to keep it flowing sweetly...... :D!bee!!bee!

Teacosy on; Keep it going folks, I'll continue;

:D I love the Beehaus & I love honey too, Helly Welly.

However, I probably only spend £8 a month on honey, so Peter's right, I wouldn't really be saving money in buying a Beehaus.

Our honey doesn't last long because we like it on toast. :D

I'm luckily able to buy delicious local honey at our monthly farmers market, so I'll do that until LSH & I are sure we're ready for beekeeping ourselves! :D

Still, we can dream about the idea, maybe one day!

i think this "BEEHAUS" thing is a good idea in the recession, because honey

1.lasts a long time,

2.it can sell for alot of money !beehaus white!!beehaus yellow!!beehaus red!!beehaus purple!!beehaus orange!!bee! i vote BEEHAUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can buy an awful lot of honey for the cost of a Beehaus; I'm not sure there is a convincing argument to be made that the Beehaus offers value for money in a recession compared to other hive types.

This whole argument is one that entraps new beekeepers into the mindset of 'now I have spent a load of money on hives and equipment, I had better start selling honey to get some of it back'.

I think this is unfortunate, because if you let beekeeping become 'all about the honey' there is a danger of putting 'commercial' interests before good bee husbandry. And £500 is a lot of money to recover from a single hive, especially in the summers we have been having lately, and more especially, by a beginner.

IMO Peter is right - it is better to go into beekeeping without spending a lot of cash, and take your time to learn about bees, without any pressure to 'reclaim your investment'.

Of course, if £500 is small change to you, then go ahead - although I could build ten top bar hives for that money.

Well, whatever the reaction from some beekeepers on one particular forum to Omlet in general and the Beehaus in particular I found this new post this afternoon :D

Who cares if the BBKA sold out and is in bed with BAYER, if no one is a member of the BBKA?

Rather than trying to battle with BAYER (and I use the word BAYER as they are the boss not the BBKA), this then bounces back to forgetting about the BBKA and a new organisation starting that is not with the likes of BAYER!

The above would be better use of PR / the press in announcing a new organisation.

Edit to Add

As much as many have poo poo'ed it, you can not fault the PR that Omlet have gained / achieved.

Omlet might be a good option to work with/ get help with in promoting a new organisation???

_______

:D:D:D:D:D