laurmurf

BEEHAUS

I would love some more detail on the sizing of the Bee suits,please.

Its hard to know if one is a M or an XXL sometimes, without some more info :lol:

Equivalent ladies dress sizes would be good.

If the Omlet tshirts are anything to go by then you will need this information!

Well that answers one question, those are definitely traditional wooden frames!

It's a bit misleading (of the DM, not Omlet) to say 'now it can slot into the tiniest back garden' ... firstly, that's true of any beehive, and secondly the issues about back gardens are to do with bees and neighbours, not to do with the size of the hive.

I see Johannes handles them without gloves :roll: - experienced beeks swear this is best, I am not ready for that yet!

They were talking about them on Farming today on Radio 4 this morning, and there is also an article in the Times today.

I think hubby is tempted :roll: I don't think we have a "safe place" for them. (However, it was OH who wanted chickens first, and I worked out the solution, so I think he's hoping I might think of a way!)

I see Johannes handles them without gloves :roll: - experienced beeks swear this is best, I am not ready for that yet!

I met a beekeeper once who did the same thig. He was about to loan me a hive and bees when I was attacked. Despite wearing a hat (he said thats' all I needed!) they climbed inside and stung my head.

Not to "bee" ( :lol: ) put off, I joined bee keeping classes and despite having trs tucked into boots - one get up the leg of my trs and stung my leg!

Bee warned - no matter what they say - the proper clothes ARE req'd !! ...

Consequently, I have been put off for a while :( ...

Newsflash! have just seen the Beehaus on the lunchtime news - Johannes was definately wearing pink gloves :D

Rgds,

Pat & Steve

Oh my goodness - this really gets worse and worse!

I joined the beekeeping forum to do some more research since our Omlet visit to Harlow Carr and attending the beekeeping talk (and after Egluntine and I asked thousands of questions at the Yorkshire Show :) ). I've been fascinated reading the posts about the new Beehaus, of course, too.

Since there was lots of talk about how the beehaus could be 'flamed' I was interested in reading James's response to this and then reading about it on the beekeeping forum. I innocently made my first post and copied James's for their interest. Clearly I don't know what it all means but thought it might open up more discussion that I could learn from.

Well, I got told off! ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurmurf View Post

Hello all - this is my first post as I've been 'lurking' and reading up about beekeeping to see if it's for me.

You must be a fast lurker as you only joined yesterday and have spent less than an hour on the forum.

I find your defence of Omlet very commendable even if a little misguided regards english law.

Sterilise for AFB ?

I thought DEFRA recommended burning any hives with AFB(at the discretion of the bee inspector) with BBKA colony insurance compensating members ?.

I dont mean to sound rude but Omlet information could be a little like listening to a Comet employee telling you "no you cant have a refund as its company policy" even when the law of the land say's different.

Just remember omlet is a business,and only there to turn a profit and if a bee inspector say's burn then you burn !

And this was from their MODERATOR! :shock::(

My goodness - I'm getting so turned off the idea (having got agreement from my local farmer to place a hive in his field behind my house if I decided to go ahead with it) because I just don't think I'll get any mentoring support if I happen to choose a beehaus rather than one they 'approve' of! :wall:

I don't know what to say Laurie except that people are always wary - or even resistant - of change. Forums always seem to bring out the worst in people and they say things that they wouldn't say directly to a real person and often without thinking it through.

It is going to take time for the initial furore to settle down. I presume you would join your local Assoc. ? - you would learn about keeping bees and I don't see that there's a requirement to tell people what hive you have the minute you turn up. All the beekeepers we've met have been really friendly. We started off asking about Top Bar hives and even though no-one actually used them, they were helpful.

Don't let the remarks of a few put you off.

Oh my goodness - this really gets worse and worse!

I joined the beekeeping forum to do some more research since our Omlet visit to Harlow Carr and attending the beekeeping talk (and after Egluntine and I asked thousands of questions at the Yorkshire Show :) ). I've been fascinated reading the posts about the new Beehaus, of course, too.

Since there was lots of talk about how the beehaus could be 'flamed' I was interested in reading James's response to this and then reading about it on the beekeeping forum. I innocently made my first post and copied James's for their interest. Clearly I don't know what it all means but thought it might open up more discussion that I could learn from.

Well, I got told off! ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurmurf View Post

Hello all - this is my first post as I've been 'lurking' and reading up about beekeeping to see if it's for me.

You must be a fast lurker as you only joined yesterday and have spent less than an hour on the forum.

I find your defence of Omlet very commendable even if a little misguided regards english law.

Sterilise for AFB ?

I thought DEFRA recommended burning any hives with AFB(at the discretion of the bee inspector) with BBKA colony insurance compensating members ?.

I dont mean to sound rude but Omlet information could be a little like listening to a Comet employee telling you "no you cant have a refund as its company policy" even when the law of the land say's different.

Just remember omlet is a business,and only there to turn a profit and if a bee inspector say's burn then you burn !

And this was from their MODERATOR! :shock::(

My goodness - I'm getting so turned off the idea (having got agreement from my local farmer to place a hive in his field behind my house if I decided to go ahead with it) because I just don't think I'll get any mentoring support if I happen to choose a beehaus rather than one they 'approve' of! :wall:

How rude :shock: I take it that this was not off the Omlet Beekeeping section :?

Actually there is a lot of offputting comment on that forum about all sorts of things. The omlet thread is mixed up with a lot of informed comment about not keeping a hive in a small back garden because bees can be dangerous and you may be sued if they sting somebody/something else...which is more likely when you're new because you don't know what you're doing. They do have a point, but on the other hand one would never do anything on that basis. What did cottagers do in the past? I find the whole tone of the site dreadful, its so unwelcoming...which is a shame because its got some very experienced people on it. I wrote my first post to the site the day before yesterday, but didn't press send. It wasn't anything to do with Omlet, but to do with their supercilious attitude. I was fuming and furious. I never swear....but......

I would like to say, once again, that in my experience (and I know several others on here) the support we gain from real live mentors in our real live local BBKAs is not like this at all.

I did post yesterday - and was studiuosly ignored for a long time - and then only facetious comments were made.

If long-standing beekeepers could put their energies into welcoming new or would-be keepers, helping to ensure that there are enough spaces on courses and offering to mentor people rather than into shouting about possible disasters caused by new keepers then the whole community would be in a better position to work together to stop the decline in bee population.

I've just been reading the posts on the Beekeeping Forum regarding Omlet with interest. They're not great fans are they? :lol:

I found the comments dripping sarcasm were especially entertaining. Very encouraging indeed, I must book a place on the beginners course pdq :lol: