laurmurf

BEEHAUS

It had a whole article about it on the Today programme this morning at about 7.40. It's been endorsed by Natural England, and at the end, James Naughtie (pronounced Nochty!) (the presenter) said that he wanted one and had been looking on the website!

Omlet's PR machine is pretty good isn't it?!

Jill

Re the beekeeping guide: I've only skimmed it, but:

a) I agree with other posts, that it needs to mention local associations, national associations, and both their training and thier insurance schemes, also the need/advantage of having a mentor.

b) It says amateurs will keep 1-40 hives. 1 hive is not really recommended for any beekeeper, particularly not a beginner, as often you need something from one to help the other - a frame of brood for example. 1 hive is often what people start with, and hope to increase it to 2 hives in the first few months of spring (by queen rearing, making up a nucleaus, swarm control, etc).

c) The section on AFB and EFB don't seem to mention that it's a legal requirement to report these if you even suspect you might have them.

d) It mentions getting bees from a reputable supplier - which I agree is very important - and making sure they are of good temperament. But as queens are replaced every year or every couple of years (by most beekeepers) they need to be good tempered to.

It would also be nice if a mention was made of local beekeepers and their associations breeding and monitoring programes - a lot of hard work and time goes into these and they would be massively hampered/destroyed by stocks from overseas or outside the area being brought in. People in that situation would generally be very happy to help set up a new beek with bees, rather than seeing them being imported.

e) Bees can become very grumpy through queenlessness, or at the end of a good flow, or bad handling (and everyone has clattered something against a hvie at some point!) thundery wether, wet wether.... etc. I think more needs to be said about neighbours and the need for an alternative site "just in case". Also worth emphasising that hives are best kept out of sight of passers by.

Our local assoc beginners classes were very keen to point out the old adage "ask 3 beekeepers a question and you'll get 4 different opinions". All beeks disagree and have their own way of doing things which work for them. I sometimes think that there's a need to separate opinions about a hive/practoce/smoker/whatever from anything personal.... particularly on t'interweb when complete strangers write things quickly and sometimes carelessly.

So the Beehaus turns out to be a plastic Dartington Hive, a long deep hive and essentially the same as this...made of sustainable wood.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O_i1nSQ4oKE/RssdKX6DJmI/AAAAAAAAABo/93ZQrPtvukw/s1600-h/DSC08467s.jpg

That looks like a pile of wooden shoeboxes.... :)

Am going to have a read of the Omlet pages once I've done some housework :roll:

Sha x

I think it looks fabby! I wasn't quite sure what to expect, not really knowing beehives beyond the trad white louvred look, but it wasn't this. It all looks so efficient and cleanable. I suspect the support of someone nearby would be extremely important - if we get one, I shall be in touch Olly!

• Omlet Staff

Hi,

It is great to hear the feedback regarding about the beehaus.

You are correcting in thinking that the beehaus shares alot in coming with a Dartington hive. After doing a lot of beekeeping, research and prototyping various hive designs - we realised that our hive theory shared alot in common with the Dartington. So, we started working with Robin Dartington on the project and he has been a key member of the design team. There are many things that the beehaus shares with the Dartington which are:

* The hive is at a convenient height for working with the bees.

* The broodbox is deeper than traditional hives and we feel provides the correct amount of room for modern bees.

* The super boxes are smaller and easier to handle ( 7kg rather than 20kg ) - so it is much easier to be handle everything delicately.

* The hive is two hives in one and has double entrances - allowing you to house two colonies if required. This is really helpful for swarm management or growing a nucleus colony.

Regarding feedback on the Guide. This is still a work in progress and the feedback is brilliant. Extra pages on the BBKA are being added. I am a member of the Oxfordshire association and Johannes is a member of the London association and both have been very influential in the development of the project.

Thanks,

James

p.s. We are also looking for beekeepers who would like to host beekeeping courses - called beehaus parties. We would like to get a basic 1-2 hour taster course going, which would allow someone to actually experience inspecting a hive so they can work out if it for them. If you have bees - would you be interested in running a taster course? If so, pop me an email :) - james@omlet.co.uk

Aunty E, you're welcome to pop round and meet my bees (when are you moving?) I'm not sure the beesuit will go over your tummy just now though!

Trouble is, bee-keeping is a long slow process. You have to go through a full year's worth of seasons, colony growth etc to experience the full range of things, and whilst I feel I could host a Beginners Hen Party satisfactorily, I doubt if I will feel competent to teach people about bees for another four or five years seeing as I've only just started.

The other thing is, a 'Beehaus Party' would require all the visitors to be kitted out in bee suits. At least with chickens the only thing you have to worry about is getting a bit of chicken-poop on your shoes!

I still think anyone buying these would do well to join their local group and get training and support that way. If you suddenly discover a problem, you really want someone you can phone up and get to pop round and take a look at your hive, even then it's not easy as Lesley discovered.

Trouble is, bee-keeping is a long slow process. You have to go through a full year's worth of seasons, colony growth etc to experience the full range of things, and whilst I feel I could host a Beginners Hen Party satisfactorily, I doubt if I will feel competent to teach people about bees for another four or five years seeing as I've only just started.

The other thing is, a 'Beehaus Party' would require all the visitors to be kitted out in bee suits. At least with chickens the only thing you have to worry about is getting a bit of chicken-poop on your shoes!

I still think anyone buying these would do well to join their local group and get training and support that way. If you suddenly discover a problem, you really want someone you can phone up and get to pop round and take a look at your hive, even then it's not easy as Lesley discovered.

I totally agree with Olly as above. I've not had bees long enough to host a bee-party, and think most people would be very well served to go to their local association as well as/on top of bee parites.

I'm worrying for EFB at the miniute due to an outbreak near me - I would want to make sure that beesuits footwear, gloves etc were clean before letting someone around my hive.

I'd happily have a Beehaus at Egluntine Towers for people to view.....sans bees until I have been on the appropriate courses. :D

Have we opened a book as to how long it'll be before Him Indoors notices it? :lol:

Was it three weeks with the first eglu?

I'd tell him it was a storage box.

I wouldn't be lying. :lol:

Our move is going terribly slowly, so if we do decide on bees, it would be something we'd prepare over the winter to start in the spring I expect. Doesn't look like we'll move until September now (sigh), but our new garden has a useful looking spot right at the end, which we can make bee friendly, and fence off later to keep toddlers out ;)

First impressions now I've actually seen the Beehaus are that I want one :P especially a spiffy yellow one! Most of my initial concerns seem addressed and I'm loving the idea that you can easily split the hive into two - this would be great for me and my beekeeping partner who are planning to artificially swarm next year to create two colonies. Are the frames made from wood or plastic?

Again I'd like to actually see one before I invested. Very very excited though - well done Omlet :dance: