Redwing

Ill Chicks :-( More Sad News

There is something wrong with my 6 week old chicks, one of my beautiful araucanas is dead and two other chicks look very ill :(

I suspect Coccidiosis and have put five in a fresh clean coop and the two ill ones are in the kitchen

Thank goodness I have the medication ready

Poor little things :cry:

Edited by Guest

I'm really sorry to hear this Redwing :cry: makes me feel all protective over the Bufflings.

How long should you feed the medicated food for? I fed my 3 plus mum for about 2 weeks, is this enough, they are now on unmedicated organic crumb..and anything else they can reach :roll: . I do have a bottle of coxoid, just in case............. :pray:

I hope everything goes well for the little ones :pray::pray::anxious:

Sha x

The white araucana is perking up a bit but I think I might lose the little Marans girl :(

She takes water from a syringe so I will give her the medicated water a couple of tmes in the night and see how she is in the morning

Here she is leaning against her pal for support :cry:

S6004824.jpg

I gave them medicated food for the first three weeks Sha so maybe it isnt cocci :(

I've read that they can still get cocci even with medicated crumb because although it helps prevent it, it isn't 100% effective and some chicks can still die. I guess it's because of the large number of strains of cocci.

I hope they're doing much better this morning.

Well I opened the cage this morning an dthe white Araucana (no name) marched right out on to the kitchen table so I think she/he is well on the road to recovery

Straggler (Marans) still looks very sick but had had a beakful of chick crumb and I have syringed some water down her, she fought me this time so I am hoping she is gaining strength

I got up at 2am, 4am and 6am to syringe water them both

You're a good mum Tasha, and deserve a long rest once they are back on the right road.

I suppose the cocci meds are a bit like the flu jab, cover the worst strains & hope for the best with the less nasty ones.

Have you tried your babies with very wet crumb porridge? My 3 positively lap it up, I tried it to get fluids into Buffie and the babies just go round hoovering up everything ....the tiny smear of apple sauce & yoghurt which is left from Buffie's syringed snack - actually they climb for that now!!.....whatever maggots she flings out the side of the box - plus the ones I have to put down for them so mum can actually get a look in.....corn on the cob is such a favourite.......they stole some of the tuna cat food (suitable for human consumption no less :roll: ) last night......I don't think we'll have any problems with them being fussy eaters!!!

If Buffie hadn't been so poorly, the babies would have had a very simple diet, everything was put in there to try & tempt her back to health, as it is I still have to feed Buffie on my lap so she actually eats...even at 4 weeks she's still feeding them & not herself.......there's hardly anything of her :o & the babies are growing everyday :D

Good luck with the straggler, lots of good get well vibes are heading your way little one :pray::pray:

Sha x

Straggler and the chick with no name are back outside as from today, they are in a rabbit hutch away from the rest of the chicks

The white chick is back to normal, Straggler is better but still quiet and slow

Both are eating and drinking well so I am hoping that things will be ok now :D