I don't think wear and tear is an issue as it has hardly been touched by man nor beast since it was first fitted. It's clearly just exposure to the elements that has caused it.

I don't expect to get a free replacement, it's just that I don't relish the thought of buying a new one every year if this is a normal thing that happens. If that is the case then I would need to look for a harder wearing alternative.

My shade is completely destroyed, although my chooks like to rampage on it. I also have the shower curtains (hundreds of the things to cover the whole run) and tend to keep a stock in, as a fox destroyed one of my covers once, and the chooks got a cold from being rained on. They're only 99p from Ikea, so I keep two or three spare ones. If you don't have an ikea, you can pick them up for a little more off ebay.

How long are the shades intended to last?

Mine (a year and a bit old) is disintegrating.

It came away on one side so I went to reattach it and noticed a small tear in it. Now I only have to touch it and pieces come away.

Is this normal?

Hi Spuddy,

Is this the small cover or a winter cover?

I have had the small one that came originally since Sept 05 and have no problems at all....

Maybe the sun is stronger in your part of the world (patch of ozone layer missing :?::? ) so the UV rays disintegrate it quicker...

I didn't get on at all well with the shower curtain idea.

I spent more time retrieving it from trees and shed roofs than enough.

I spent a fortune on bungee clips to hold them down and still no good.

In the end I got the Omlet shades and they are much better....far more robust.

I use a shower curtain which I take on and off as needed. I work at home so I get lots of chances to visit the chickens every day!

My method is to use clothes pegs to peg it onto the bottom bars of the run- old woooden ones rather than cheap plastic ones which seem prone to springing apart.

As long as its taut it seems to stay on - even in some of the crazy winds we have been having lately.