treeman

Allowed out?

I used to let my 2 out in the day to freerange when i was out but one day the postman delivered a parcel round the back, left the back gate open and they escaped and a fox got one of them. :cry:

Now they only free range when i am in which is a shame, occasionally i will leave them out if i am just going out for an hour or so but then i worry about them all the time i am gone and dsah straight in to check they are ok the moment i get back! I would love to let them free range all day but just don't want to risk losing one again. I think its down to personal choice in the end, but i felt so guilty when mine was killed that i just couldn't risk it again.

Theres no right or wrong answer to this i think, it depends where you live, how secure your garden is etc. Good luck making the desicion.

Helen

BTW i got a run extension to add to my omlet run so they now have more space when they are in there during the day.

I'm of the same view as Kate.

I have 7ft fences round the garden and a foxwatch (not that I've ever seen a fox lurking) but still wouldn't let my girls out of the run unless I was there to keep an eye on them. They seem quite happy in their run and some days when I let them out they're back in there within an hour.

mine get an hour or so free range in the morning and a few minutes in the evening (as long as it isn't dark - then they object and stay in the eglu). They love destroying the garden and finding treats. The trouble is when they free range Fenny has a wanderlust and frequently hops the fence and makes a bid for freedom (I was locked out of the house on tuesday for 3 hours as a result!!). The result is they can only free range when I'm around!! I would hate them to get eaten by Mr Fox!

This seems to be a common concern amongst us. I only let mine out when I'm around and with the short days, it is often only at weekends.

I have three girls in the basic eglu and run and feel really guilty that they are cooped up. I do give them lots of greens hung up, corn to scratch for etc.

Is it acceptable for them to be in there for so long this time of year? Having asked that, I still prefer them alive and safe than dead.

I think it depends on your neck of the woods as well. My garden is surrounded by 6' fencing and enclosed by other gardens with 6' fencing. It is also a country village surrounded by well hunted territory. I've only ever seen foxes at night and away from the village. I let the chooks out from lunchtime and they put themselves to bed when ready, even if we are out for the afternoon. It's all down to risk assessment really. :)

My pleasure!!! I know just how hard it is to try and sell housing. Unless your name is Cavey on the forum!!! Who I said I'd buy the eglu off within about an hour of his post!!! :lol:

Mine tend to get let out at about lunchtime by my Dad and stay out in the afternoon while I'm at school. It makes it easier and means they can have time out as I have rehearsals for three days of the week after school at the minute.

We are in the centre of Newbury - very towny lots of neighbours - no foxes. We have a completely sealed garden with high fences and walls. I let them free range when I'm not in. Also I have been known to leave the eglu door open until about 10.30pm. :shock:

We let our have the run of the garden when we are in and they seem fine. We have seen foxs around but when there is someone in they stay away. They wreck the garden but still we let them out. They have lots of fun playing with our rabbit smudge but we only out them away if we are out and at night. I think it is up to you weather you let your chooks out or not, but getting and extension is a good idea and hang up greens.

Does anyone know weather we can feed the chooks bread???

re - letting them out

im quite lucky as hubby on nights the majority of the time and I do days, so when I go to work (7am) I open the eglu door. hubby comes home about half hour later and lets them out of the run and ours happily free range in the garden all day till 4pm. (then its treats and bed! :) )

My girls hate it in the run - they love to be out and about. I've never seen a fox in our area - even though we are quite rural (we are in cul-de-sac 200yards from fields) I always keep an eye on them though.

we have a caravan so go off on weekends, they stay in the run then - and its no problem to leave them fully stocked with food/water for 2 nights and leave the eglu door open.

I might invest in a run extension though.... :think:

YAY! You could get one or two more then...... :wink::D

I really think hubby could be easily persuaded :think:

I said the other day I'd like more and he said "mmm, yeah another one would be nice"....but I would like 2 more because I'd worry one new chicken would get picked on by the other 2.

If we had a bigger garden I am in no doubt he would allow me another eglu as he LOVES the eglu and adores the chickens.......more than me I think :shock::oops::shock::lol::lol: