Snowy

Crowing Chicken!

Heard an almighty racket from the chooks today as they were freeranging - when I looked out, they were all stood to attention boc boccing like mad. But Bella was CROWING!! :shock:

I honestly had doubts about her/him at one point, she was so loud! Luckily my friend arrived shortly after, she was brought up on a farm, and reassured me that it was normal. They did it several times throughout the afternoon, I think there was a big wood pigeon trying to land in the garden each time.

I still can't believe that racket from Bella though, I dread to think what racket she'll make when she starts laying :roll::lol:

Bella will be making lots of noise when she lays! Bless her :)

my two are very noisy when they are laying....I can hear it when im indoors, in the frontroom or even in the shower :shock:

It doesnt go on for very long long,..thank goodness - otherwise I think the neighbours would be coming :roll:

My old favourite, the dearly departed Star, was a bit of a 'crower'. She crowed when she layed, when the others layed, when she was hungry,when she was given pellets, when she was given treats and when she felt that she was being ignored... :roll: , pretty much all the time!

I'll give her credit, mind - she never crowed in the early morning, and always waited till she spied someone up and about in the kitchen!

My two were both crowing madly the other day. In between the shouting they were standing with their necks stretched up as if they had seen something scary, Went out three times to find out what was going on. In the end I put them back in the run, just in case there was something lurking somewhere. They shut up after that.

Glad it's not just my maniacal hens who crow! Has anyone got any ideas how to stop them as I do cringe at the thought of neighbours being woken at 6 am on a Sunday morning. Sometimes it is attention seeking, sometimes an egg has just been laid, or a cat is in the run or they are just pecking about madly crowing for no apparent reason. A tickle works sometimes but not always. Help...! :shock:

Alison

Hmmm, mine are crowing a lot at the moment. They are all in full lay, massive eggs and they like to crow ' hey mummy, we've made you a present', which is usually an egg or poo in the nest!! :roll:

But they crow when me or hubby comes out the back door - only a quick hello crow. They crow most when the squirrel is about! Blanche makes a whole afternoon out of laying, nice and comfy and warm in that nest & I think by the way she crows when laying, she wants to be an opera singer!

Well done you for getting some more! They will soon settle into their new homes.

I am AMAZED at how loud our bantam babes are - Maisie has just started laying again and when she layed her first egg I thought they were being murdered - me and the dogs went rushing to her rescue and she just stood there going "yes? what do you want?" :roll:

my two are very noisy when they are laying....I can hear it when im indoors, in the frontroom or even in the shower :shock:

It doesnt go on for very long long,..thank goodness - otherwise I think the neighbours would be coming :roll:

How very true!! Freckle is SO loud when she lays... I can hear her in the front of the house when she is shouting about an egg.... :oops: